PDA

View Full Version : Spikes Tactical Lower? Will it do?

chef8489
12-13-11, 16:33
Well I am new to the forum, but not new the the ar platform. 10 Years in US army and 1 year with a contractor. I have owned sever civilian m4 variants in the past. I have decided to do my first build from scratch. My question concerns lowers. I have been looking all over the place at lowers trying to decide what to base this build off. I was originally thinking colt, rra, or stag stripped lower, but then came across bcm and a few others. Finally I came across Spikes tactical stripped lowers and know nothing about them. From what I can find they are supposed to be mil spec lowers with a lifetime warranty. I can find them as low as 89.00 but would like some feedback. I am planning on doing a 5.56mm build with a 6.8 upper to switch out when I want to. Please give me your opinions on the Spikes Tactical lowers.

ryr8828
12-13-11, 16:38
I have 4 of them. I like them just fine.

Using them on these uppers
.450 bushmaster
9mm
5.45x39
midlength 5.56

ffusaf23
12-13-11, 16:46
Spike's will suffice. I've built up two of their lowers (local availability) with no problems but would much rather have BCM, DD, or LMT for the more proffesional looking rollmarks and better reputation.

lamarbrog
12-13-11, 16:49
There are hardly any lowers made anymore that aren't just fine. I have only seen a few used cast lowers, and have never seen a new one for sale. I have heard of only a few rare instances of out-of-spec lowers, and that was during the Obama rush when production was ramped up. Even then, defective lowers were not really common.

I'd check out PSA or Spike's for something that is priced well. I've used Double Star in the past for some builds, as well as CMMG.

Of all the things to make a fuss about- the lower receiver is way low on the list. 99.99% of the lowers that are 7075T6 are good to go.

HOWEVER, pay attention to the FINISH being used by the company. Some apply a Teflon coating after they anodize, and it is glossier than just the standard flat black hard anodizing. Figure out what finish your upper is going to be, and get a lower that matches.

yugotprblms
12-13-11, 17:18
I just got a Spike's lower in about a month ago. It looks like it should do fine. The finish is great, there are no blemishes, faults, etc..., noticeable to the naked eye. It just seems to be a well made lower, though it seems like a forged lower is just that, a forged lower. I saw many people railing on Spike's other products, but I figure as it is just a lower, it should be fine.

Iraqgunz
12-13-11, 17:45
The issue of lowers and Spike's lowers in general has been covered more than enough.