PDA

View Full Version : 6920 or BCM 16" LW middy?

SpookyPistolero
12-13-11, 16:35
I'm torn! I'm selling a couple of seldom used pistols to fund a new AR. I currently own two ARs: a Spikes midlength on a no-name lower (pre-M4carbine.net) and a very choice DD LW midlength with a troy extreme. Obviously the DD is my go-to gun.

I'd like to get another AR, both for 'fun' and to have a backup/ redundancy. The intended role would be the same, as a general defensive weapon. Whichever rifle I buy will end up wearing an H1.

I don't own and haven't owned a carbine-length gas AR. I like the recoil impulse of my midlengths (I have no basis for comparison).

So all that said, should I get a 6920 or the BCM LW middy? I had made up my mind earlier to get a 6920, but Grant's deal has thrown a new contender into the ring! I like LW and I like my midlengths, but I like the comfort of owning the original superfreak, too. They are roughly the same price (and I'll end up changing furniture, adding rail, optic, etc.)

Thoughts?

ffusaf23
12-13-11, 16:38
If I already had two midlengths and no Colts, I'd opt for the 6920.

Duffy
12-13-11, 16:42
oops wrong thread, sorry.

HaydenB
12-13-11, 17:01
I would get the Colt if just for the ability to use carbine length gas tube pickups if the need should arise. Plus, if you ever want to get a SBR all you have to do is have it cut down and opened up.

lamarbrog
12-13-11, 17:04
I'd get the BCM LW Middy. But, I'm a fan of commonality and LW profiles.

Quentin
12-13-11, 17:22
I'd go with Grant's new BCM LW middy. Very hard to beat this one.

Ronin64
12-13-11, 17:35
I'd go with the Colt, so you have at least one pony in the safe :)

Littlelebowski
12-13-11, 17:37
I avoid unionized labor when I can and you can configure the BCM exactly the way you want it.

lamarbrog
12-13-11, 17:39
I avoid unionized labor when I can and you can configure the BCM exactly the way you want it.

Shhh.... we're not allowed to talk about that.

drck1000
12-13-11, 17:54
I have two midlengths, a DD and a BCM. I would like to try a Colt 6920 or other carbine with FSP, but I think I've gotten to prefer the additional rail length and the FSP out further that the midlength allows. I still may end up getting a carbine in the future, but I think I'm sold on midlengths for now.

That being said, if I were to get a carbine, it would most likely be the Colt 6920, followed closely by the LMT Basic Patrol models. For my use, they are probably basically the same. I like my DDM4 V5 and BCM, but I want to eventually try a Colt and LMT.

ColdDeadHands
12-13-11, 18:25

+1 I'd skip the Colt!

samuse
12-13-11, 19:23
I'm a pretty big fan of the 6920 (I have a few).

I've been around a few BCMs and I don't think they give up anything to a Colt.

If you're gonna leave the FSP and want a 16" barrel, go with the BCM.

If you want a 16" barrel, go with the BCM.

If you want to build an M4gery, go with the Colt.

If you want to cut it down to 14.5" or shorter, go with the Colt.

TedG
12-13-11, 19:46
My LWT 14.5" BCM / SPIKES is my favorite carbine. I would highly recommend one. But, if you're going to hang a bunch of stuff on the upper, I'd go for the COLT.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/BCM-SpikesLWT145.jpg

Cameron
12-13-11, 20:08
BRAVO COMPANY FOR THE WIN!

Next question!

Cameron

SpookyPistolero
12-13-11, 21:37
Thanks a lot for the responses, guys.

I'm a pretty big fan of the 6920 (I have a few).

I've been around a few BCMs and I don't think they give up anything to a Colt.

If you're gonna leave the FSP and want a 16" barrel, go with the BCM.

If you want a 16" barrel, go with the BCM.

If you want to build an M4gery, go with the Colt.

If you want to cut it down to 14.5" or shorter, go with the Colt.

That's something I'm trying to decide between. Not the barrel length (I'll be sticking to 16"), but keeping the FSP. Do I keep it on a middy and go with a shorter-than-optimal 9" rail? Or keep it on a carbine and get the Vickers/FSP rail? Or just shave it down and use a new, full length rail...

I suppose decided that, would help me decide BCM vs. Colt. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

C4IGrant
12-13-11, 21:46

To be fair, Colt got stuck with that deal.

C4

C4IGrant
12-13-11, 21:49
Both companies and guns selected are "WINNING!"

The Colt 6920 is the classic "standard" and everyone should own one.

C4

Moltke
12-13-11, 21:59
Dude...

Get both.

Celt
12-14-11, 00:23
BCM, period.

Shiz
12-14-11, 00:26
BCM, I love my BCM middy. Plus...more rail estate.

jc000
12-14-11, 00:36
That being said, if I were to get a carbine, it would most likely be the Colt 6920, followed closely by the LMT Basic Patrol models. For my use, they are probably basically the same.

I'm contemplating the LMT as a first AR pretty heavily, as DSG Arms has it with the SOPMOD for sub $1000.

steelonsteel
12-14-11, 07:53
flip a coin? both good. I guess it would really come down to if you prefer which gas length. can;t go wrong either way.

Ronin64
12-14-11, 08:53
Get both, from Grant!

samuse
12-14-11, 09:20
Thanks a lot for the responses, guys.

That's something I'm trying to decide between. Not the barrel length (I'll be sticking to 16"), but keeping the FSP. Do I keep it on a middy and go with a shorter-than-optimal 9" rail? Or keep it on a carbine and get the Vickers/FSP rail? Or just shave it down and use a new, full length rail...

I suppose decided that, would help me decide BCM vs. Colt. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If I were going to stick with a 16" barrel, I'd get the BCM, shave the front sight down and put it under a Daniel Defense RIS II.

That's just my personal favorite rail, the one that allows use of the front sight post is nice too.

og556
12-14-11, 11:21
I would get the mid length Bravo Company rifle for sure. The advantages of mid length gas system are worth it in my opinion.

Another appealing factor to me would be the customer service that Bravo Company USA provides if I need any thing.

backfist
12-14-11, 14:15
I have a BCM 14.5 that had the FSP shaved down and I mounted a Troy Battlerail Alpha in the 13" length. Now I just need to find a decently priced Colt lower!

Jonzer831
12-14-11, 14:17
Decently priced and Colt lower don't seem to go together lol.

skyugo
12-14-11, 14:28
if you like middys get another middy.

The way i look at it is simply that it's the correct gas system length for that gun. if i was going SBR (<14.5) i'd of course go carbine length. At this point there's no real reason to put a carbine length gas system on a 16" gun. (or a 14.5 come to think of it)

all just my opinion of course.

skyugo
12-14-11, 14:41
Decently priced and Colt lower don't seem to go together lol.

colt currently has the best deal in carbines with the 6920 for what its worth.
Personally i'd probably drop the extra coin on a BCM middy though. Colt's prices are in line with any other high end rifles, on the low side even.

backfist
12-14-11, 14:51
I'm kind of stuck on what I can use for a work lower...Colt, RRA, S&W or Bushmaster.

My RRA has been very reliable, but I miss my Colt 6920 and thought it may be nice to attach the 6920 lower to the BCM Mid-upper.

Meta-Prometheus
12-14-11, 20:24
BCM rifles are well built guns. The mid-length gas system on the 16 inch barrel will be much smoother as well.

The Colt will keep its value if you plan to sell. It's an excellent gun.

I have a 6920 so I'm biased. I would still pick the Colt.

GeorgiaBoy
12-14-11, 20:29
Colt. Its the standard to which all others are measured..

To be honest, the whole thing about the midlengths being "softer" is blown out of proportion IMO. If you tighten down properly on a carbine, you will easily control recoil and I can't tell a difference. Rifle vs. carbine does make a difference, but then again, it still doesn't really matter.

Cameron
12-14-11, 20:49
When the questions is Bravo Co. or ________ ? Then the answer is Bravo Co. However, when it Bravo Co. or Colt? Then there really is no wrong answer just how you want to configured. Personally I would take the BCM mid length.

Cameron

karlb
12-14-11, 21:53
After getting a couple mid-lengths(FSBs and handguards), I'm not sure I could go back to a carbine. I love the look and feel of the mid-lengths. My BCM LW 14.5 is my favorite AR, however, I can't help thinking I should get a 6920 just to have one.

seb5
12-14-11, 22:31
I've owned both and currently own 2 Bravo 14.5 middies. The Colt is the standard but for me the BCM is the preference. With it you give up NOTHING but gain a lot of options.

Pilgrim
12-14-11, 23:02
I went with the BCM, and couldn't be happier.

ColdDeadHands
12-15-11, 00:56
Pat Rogers wrote some articles about the colt 6940 and the BCM Mid length. The Colt blew up at around 20.000 rounds and the BCM still kept ticking after more then 30.000 rounds.

I know I will never shoot that many rounds thru any single rifle but it's kinda nice to know that I could.

13MPG
12-15-11, 02:24
Get the Colt and add a Daniel Defense FSP rail of your choice.

The Outlaw Kyle
12-15-11, 06:15
I am considering the same question right now. I could get the BCM, and with a sight and a stock you are looking at $1088. Or, I cold get the Colt 6920 with a SSA trigger for $1097. If I get the BCM, I am still going to want the trigger eventually. I'm not sure it's worth the additional $100. However, it's nice to have the option of two GOOD rifles. We are really just shaving hairs.

fdxpilot
12-15-11, 08:26
If I already had two midlengths and no Colts, I'd opt for the 6920.

Same here. I had a DD LW middy and a BCM LW middy, so when the prices on 6920s dropped through the $1K floor, I grabbed one, although I couldn't get one from Grant, so I went to DSG for just a few bucks more.