PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting ready to repaint a 1952 870

fivepointoh
12-04-07, 23:55
:eek:

Seriously.

The shotgun isn't worth anymore than a new one even though it's from 1952. It's a Wingmaster w/ a freeking reach out and touch somebody 30 or so inch barrel.

I've got a parked 18" Remmy barrel w/ bead sight on the way along w/ a Choate 2 round extension.

Then I'm gonna put a 12" Hogue stock on it and a synth. foreend.

I'm duracoating it parker.

Just to keep it simple and black.

I guess it could be worse and I could be selling it. But I don't plan on doing that.

The action on it is still smooth as hell. But I haven't fired it since I was probably 10 years old.

Anything to check on before I actually fire it again?

Also I don't have access to a media blaster so therefore I'm gonna use steel wool on the blued receiver to rough it up a bit, will this be okay? Just gonna leave the park on the barrel and paint over it. I know duracoat loves sticking to park.

BTW....this is the Wingmaster. It's in excellent condition for being 55 years old. I know some of you will think it to be a sin but oh well.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n226/muhtalicbloo/New%20Album/IMG_1038.jpg

Robb Jensen
12-05-07, 04:28
You could have it modified by a gunsmith to take 3" shells.

fivepointoh
12-05-07, 10:02
I'm eventually going to.

They just have to open up the ejection port, right?

Robb Jensen
12-05-07, 10:17
I'm eventually going to.

They just have to open up the ejection port, right?

IIRC it's just a different ejector in the receiver. If you're 18" barrel will take 2 3/4 and 3 inch then I'm pretty sure that's it.

fivepointoh
12-05-07, 10:24
Cool. Yep it'll take either.

Thanks for the help.

Buck
12-05-07, 13:46
:eek:

Seriously.

The shotgun isn't worth anymore than a new one even though it's from 1952. It's a Wingmaster w/ a freeking reach out and touch somebody 30 or so inch barrel.

The action on it is still smooth as hell. But I haven't fired it since I was probably 10 years old.

Anything to check on before I actually fire it again?

BTW....this is the Wingmaster. It's in excellent condition for being 55 years old. I know some of you will think it to be a sin but oh well.

Don't do it!!!!

If you want an 870 receiver to turn into a TAC shotgun they are all over the place for around $50...

If this is a family gun that was passed down to you from a relative and that you first shot when you were ten years old it truly would be a sin to destroy it...

Believe me you will regret it later if you destroy this 870... Think of yourself as a custodian and pass it along to your children or a young relative and tell them about the honor they have to hold grandpas old shotgun...

Just my .02

Buck

Buck
12-05-07, 13:55
Here are some links good tac shotgun project 870 receivers...

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86303407

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=86390359

fivepointoh
12-05-07, 14:09
Actually...not that you guys talked me out of it :p but those receivers aren't a bad price and will already be set up to take 3" shells. .....don't worry though guys. I don't plan on painting it any time soon. But the duracoat is in the mail. :D

Thanks for your guy's words of wisdom and links however.

Henchman
12-05-07, 21:44
Don't do it!!!!

If you want an 870 receiver to turn into a TAC shotgun they are all over the place for around $50...

If this is a family gun that was passed down to you from a relative and that you first shot when you were ten years old it truly would be a sin to destroy it...

Believe me you will regret it later if you destroy this 870... Think of yourself as a custodian and pass it along to your children or a young relative and tell them about the honor they have to hold grandpas old shotgun...

Just my .02

Buck

Very good advice. Keep it just the way it is and find another one to mod.

condition 1
12-12-07, 08:17
Don't do it!!!!

Just my .02

Buck
Yup !!! my .02 as well. don't do it, find a beater.