PDA

View Full Version : How about this Pick three?

Joseywales
12-05-07, 00:03
In the same spirit of previous threads, I would like to know what you could do without in a pinch.

Pick three (one rifle, one pistol, one shotgun) that you have owned at one time or another and would never want to own again, or can just live without.

For me:

Pistol - Ruger SP101. Bit the hell out of my trigger finger

Rifle - SKS. Good rifle, but not great. The AK was a better choice.

Shotgun- CS Ringneck 12 Gage. Brand new gun didn't work after 8 rounds of trap. Sent it back, they "fixed" it, used it again, failed again. They have been making SxS for 180+ years. You think that these jackasses could be able to get it right when given TWO opportunities to succeed.

PALADIN-hgwt
12-05-07, 10:16
xxxxx

M4Guru
12-05-07, 13:59
Pistol: Les Baer Monolith, circa 2001. POS. Never ran after three trips back to the factory. They did give me my money back, though. Most unreliable handgun I've ever seen.

Rifle: I'll have to go with my issued UMP45. I have no idea why my unit bought them, they never get used. Freakin worthless. The sights suck, the ambi safety gives me blisters. So I don't even shoot it at the range. Some of the single guys carry them to the chow hall to impress chicks. The Surefire 45ACP can makes shooting foxes at night fun.

Shotgun: Issued Benelli M1014 JCS. Why not spend 75% less and get me a 10-inch 870 I can use for breaching? The Benelli has no place for me, and it runs like shit on USGI 00 buck.

Failure2Stop
12-05-07, 14:20
Pistol- SigSauer P239 .40. Fit me poorly, only fit 8 (IIRC). Ex-wife took it with her. Good riddance. Don't miss the pistol either.

Rifle- Ruger M77 lightweight .30-06. Awful optics (my fault I guess), awful trigger, painful recoil.

Shotgun- I only have one, so I have to go with the issued M1014 as well. Who the hell thought:
"I want something that has sights like a rifle, is semi-auto, picatinny rail (on receiver only), and average terminal performance, but has a shorter effective range, poor ergonomics, low capacity, huge ammo footprint, serious recoil, non-adjusting stock, and takes forever to reload!"?:rolleyes: Oh yeah, let's make sure that the gas system won't reliably cycle unless the weapon is firmly planted in the shoulder (making breaching a chore, a very dangerous chore) and won't work with the non-lethal standardized ammo? I am getting mad just thinking about this.

SHIVAN
12-05-07, 14:27
Handgun: Ruger SP101 2.5" barrel. It is WAY too short and light to fire more than a few rounds of full power .357 Mag. In retrospect, after shooting some mini S&W .357's, I think the backstrap had a bad angle that cut into your hand squarely during recoil. Creating a painful pressure point.

Rifle: Marlin 444P. Not practical for much. Recoil was stout. Rounds were expensive. A 45-70 would have been far more practical.

Shotgun: Weatherby Orion 20ga O/U. I love a fine O/U. The Weatherby was well built. Didn't care for the gloss finish or 20ga on the skeet/sporting clays field. I prefer my "working" O/U to be 12ga.

Barry in IN
12-05-07, 16:23
Now this is I'll play...

Handgun:
Tossup between...

A) NAA Mini Revolver. About 40% misfires. Bullets tumbling at 12 FEET. I had a gunshop commando inform me that second "feature" made it deadlier, but I find you have to hit something to make it dead.

B) Colt AA2000.
What a joke. I got one well after it was a dead idea, not to shoot or use, but to show my kids and grandkids two things: what some companies will buy, and what they will try to sell you.
It also made a good example of the lack of shame exhibited by a couple of gun magazines who printed articles about how it was the best thing since sliced bread.
I've never met Reed Knight, and have heard that his prototype was much different from what Colt put into production, but...He deserves some sort of salesman's award for the deal he made with Colt on this one. From what I understand, since Colt was short on cash at the time, they transferred their sizeable MG collection to him as payment, and he retained rights to the design if they should quit making it. A couple of years later the gun was dead, he had a warehouse full of Colt's MGs, and still had the rights to his design.

Rifle:
Not mine, but I touched it. Does that count? The maint man at some apartments I was living in brought me his rifle to fix- A Squires Bingham .22 semi-auto thing that was sorta shaped like an M16. Holy crap, that thing had more springs than a clock shop and the feed system used all these tiny ball bearings. No thanks.

Shotgun:
Hmmmm. I haven't had that many. A dozen or so. I guess the worst I've had was a S&W 916, which is basically the old Noble. I had no real problems, but if pressed- I would have to say that it was the worst shotgun I had.

David Thomas
12-05-07, 16:49
Pick three (one rifle, one pistol, one shotgun) that you have owned at one time or another and would never want to own again, or can just live without.

I haven't owned many guns of which I would be ashamed; however, there have been a few choices that I have made that I regret.

Pistol: Ruger P89 in 9mm.

Rifle: Ruger MKII 300 Win Mag -- Stainless w/ sythetic stock

Shotgun: Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon II

What a heavy, cumbersome, fat hog of a shotgun. This gun weighed closer to 8 lbs than the advertised 6.8 lbs. Nothing about this gun fit me from the fat wrist, length of pull, the recoil pad and the annoying automatic safety... nothing fit. The worst part about it is that I got rid of a superb Weatherby Athena 20 ga. after obtaining the 687.

TheGhostRider
12-05-07, 18:19
Pistol:
Colt 2000.......... Good lord, what ever possessed me to purchase that turd.

Rifle:
Hi-Point 9mm carbine. Cheesy piece of crap.

Shotgun:
Can't say I've had a really bad shotty. Of all that I've owned though, I can live without the Mossy 500s.

Joseywales
12-06-07, 18:41
Now this is I'll play...

B) Colt AA2000.
What a joke. I got one well after it was a dead idea, not to shoot or use, but to show my kids and grandkids two things: what some companies will buy, and what they will try to sell you.
It also made a good example of the lack of shame exhibited by a couple of gun magazines who printed articles about how it was the best thing since sliced bread.
I've never met Reed Knight, and have heard that his prototype was much different from what Colt put into production, but...He deserves some sort of salesman's award for the deal he made with Colt on this one. From what I understand, since Colt was short on cash at the time, they transferred their sizeable MG collection to him as payment, and he retained rights to the design if they should quit making it. A couple of years later the gun was dead, he had a warehouse full of Colt's MGs, and still had the rights to his design.

Shitty handgun, but good investment.