PDA

View Full Version : budget upper 12.5"?

eightsevenzero
12-13-11, 19:15
Guys i'm trying to find a budget 12.5" upper. Cheapest I can find is DSA's 14" uppers and then I guess I would have to get the barrel taken down? Anyone know any other budget options?

Brennan
12-13-11, 19:44
Save up and buy something worth it, you'll regret it in the long run if you don't. Why even go through the hassle of making an SBR and cheaping out on it?

eightsevenzero
12-13-11, 19:56
I currently have 2 DSA uppers, both of which have performed flawlessly and have about 2k rounds thru them. I also have a vltor and and noveske, and appreciate their attention to detail, but you dont have to have an expensive upper to have good quality. I prefer to "save up" for accessories, rail systems, and optics that will actually effect my accuracy.

johnson
12-13-11, 19:56
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-12-5-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-m4-12.htm

eightsevenzero
12-13-11, 20:03
I like bravo's stuff. i was looking at this:

http://www.dsarms.com/DSA-ZM4-Forged-7075T6-A3-AR15-Upper-Receiver-145---DSZM4CBU14/productinfo/DSZM4CBU14/

BCmJUnKie
12-13-11, 20:06
I prefer to "save up" for accessories, rail systems, and optics that will actually effect my accuracy.

Uhhh...the barrel wont affect accuracy???

johnson
12-13-11, 20:09
You could:

A)Buy the DSA, spend over money to have someone (who knows what they're doing) cut, thread, re-crown and re-size the gas port

B)Buy the complete BCM upper and shoot it out of the box

BC98
12-13-11, 20:14
False sense of economy. It will cost you close to $100 (ADCO cost plus shipping your upper) to cut the Dsa upper down. That already puts you at the same price as the BCM upper.

eightsevenzero
12-13-11, 20:16
True. I gunsmith my own stuff so thats why it isnt as big of a deal to me, but time is still worth something. Ive heard tons of good stuff about bravo, might be time to give them a shot.

Cameron
12-13-11, 20:29
I must be missing something. If I wanted a 12.5" upper the $399 BCM would already be in a brown truck on it's way to me.

Cameron

BCmJUnKie
12-13-11, 22:34
I must be missing something. If I wanted a 12.5" upper the $399 BCM would already be in a brown truck on it's way to me.

Cameron

Lol its true.

Those are the only uppers I run.

Even if you can get an upper for $300, the gunsmith cutting it down, shipping is gonna be the same price.

Not to mention the wait.

Do it right the first time

crusader377
12-13-11, 22:34
Get the BCM! SBRs are going to be more expensive than a standard AR anyway and if you are paying $200 for the tax stamp I would get the superior BCM product over anything from DSA.

Also, cutting the barrel down will drive up the cost of the DSA to that of the BCM and I would much rather buy an upper from a mfg. that knows how to build a SBR.

polymorpheous
12-13-11, 22:44
I currently have 2 DSA uppers, both of which have performed flawlessly and have about 2k rounds thru them. I also have a vltor and and noveske, and appreciate their attention to detail, but you dont have to have an expensive upper to have good quality. I prefer to "save up" for accessories, rail systems, and optics that will actually effect my accuracy.

:confused:

BCmJUnKie
12-13-11, 23:35
:confused:

LOL I was thinking the SAME thing when I read that:stop:

jsummers
12-14-11, 00:06
The OP has already stated that he gunsmiths his own stuff, so he's probably just looking for an attaboy for wanting to use a cheap upper and have it be "just as good" as a BCM/DD/Noveske/etc. The smartest bet is one of the brands I just mentioned. Hell, I'd get a PSA upper before the thought of getting a DSA upper crossed my mind.

Iraqgunz
12-14-11, 02:25
OP,

I suggest that you spend some time reading. In case it hasn't dawned on you, NFA is not "cheap". I can assure you though if you attempt to go cheap you will end up with a beautiful turd.