PDA

View Full Version : Superfeet Orange/Green/Others & Gore-Tex?

khc3
12-14-11, 08:16
I got some orange superfeet insoles for my Danner Patrol (6" Acadia) boots, but they make the toe box a little tight.

I looked at the other "low volume" insoles (blue & black), but they are not compatible with the Gore-Tex lining.

The green insoles are called "high volume," but they look thinner.

Are the green thicker than the orange? Will the blue/black really ruin the Gore-Tex? Any other ideas? Thanks!

paulkuda
12-14-11, 08:37
I run the green only because when I was buying ski boots, the guy fit me with them as he was molding my boot liners. I have never heard of incompatibility with Gore-Tex. I was at REI and bought two more pairs for my boots (waste of money yes, but I always forget to switch them around when I toss them in my luggage). They told me to stick with the green if I like them and if my foot fits in the shoe, which they do. Superfeet does make a 3/4 one designed for dress shoes. You may want to give that a try, or another brand. Good luck

khc3
12-14-11, 09:49
It looks from web pictures that the orange have a forefoot pad the greens don't.

I guess I will drive to REI and compare them in person. I just wish they weren't 45 minutes away.

Yeah, they say on their website that the heel design of the blue and black ones will abrade Gore-Tex liners.

paulkuda
12-14-11, 09:55
That is rather interesting that they will wear down the gore liner. If you make it to REI (or EMS, LL Bean, local outdoor shop) ask them what they suggest. There may be a different brand out there that will suite you better.

Talked to a Lowa rep, some shoe companies are skimping on their bed liners b/c people are replacing them anyway. Way for them to save money on something the consumer did not care about.

indawire
12-14-11, 19:46
Try the SOLE brand, I've got them in all my shoes/boots. Can be ordered on line, discount for multiple sets. Never had any problem w/ gortex liners in both pairs of boots w/ the SOLE brand. The typical stock insoles are useless, just throw them out ASAP.

SWATcop556
12-14-11, 20:02
I wore Danner Acadias when I was in uniform and used the green Superfeet. I have to buy shoes to fit my arches not my foot length so I'm almost always running some form of insole except with Salomon (which is almost exclusively what I wear now). The greens snugged up the toe box but not so significantly that they caused an issue. I would give them a shot.

M4Fundi
12-15-11, 06:05
Try the SOLE brand, I've got them in all my shoes/boots. Can be ordered on line, discount for multiple sets. Never had any problem w/ gortex liners in both pairs of boots w/ the SOLE brand. The typical stock insoles are useless, just throw them out ASAP.

These are light years ahead of Superfeet in technology and last twice as long. SOLE is the way to go;)

khc3
12-15-11, 16:28
Thanks for the ideas, I will look into the SOLE product.

Hot Sauce
12-15-11, 16:54
SOLE are way better in my humble opinion.

SWATcop556
12-16-11, 02:37
Hmmm. Maybe I was missing out not trying the SOLE. I'll have to give them a shot next time I replace my Superfeet or go back to patrol.

Boxerglocker
12-16-11, 09:01
Anyone have a link to the best place/price to buy SOLE inserts online?

Crawls
12-19-11, 13:08
I agree on the Sole advice. I've had a dozen pairs of Superfeet (green and orange) over the years and I was never disappointed, but the Sole insoles are so much more comfortable.
If you don't have a local outdoor store that carries Sole insoles, some Red Wing shoe stores sell a re-branded version of the Sole ( I believe it is the Sole Softec Ultra) for a couple of bucks more per pair.

OldState
12-19-11, 13:51
I've been an avid backpacker for years and noticed all the great reviews on these Superfeet insoles. I bought a 2 set and can say that there are very few products that I was more disappointed with.

They actually make my feet hurt. I don't understand how people like these. I relegated them to some casual slip on shoes I knock around the house in.

CLHC
12-19-11, 23:45
I have a pair of Danner Elk Ridge GTX 400G Hunting Boots that I use for work where I'm on my feet roughly 9~10 hours a day. The insoles I'm using for it are the Superfeet Black Lightweight Support. Socks are Smartwool Hiking Light Crew. They've been broken in now for six (6) months. Let me say that my feet(s) still hurt when I come home!

I'll have to give those SOLE Insoles a try out.

PaiN108
12-20-11, 22:15
I use Superfeet Green Insoles and Soles Inserts in my work boots. I have had no issues with either on 12 hr shifts. The boots I am issued (5.11 ATAC 8"" Zip sides, 1 Gortex pair and 1 non Gortex pair, yeah I know they suck and I need to upgrade) are much more comfortable and liveable with the Inserts. I purchased the Superfeet Green's first and then got a pair of the Soles when they were recommended by several different people. I have no problems with either insert but I have found that I prefer the arch on the Soles. I have work both sets on 18+ hr shifts where I spend most of the time on my feet and have had no issues. I would recommend both sets of insoles with a slight preference for the Soles.

Also I have seen no damage to the Gortex liner on the boots I use with either pair of Insoles.