PDA

View Full Version : electronic ear pro required ?

p7fl
12-14-11, 19:33
I've noticed more and more trainers are putting “electronic ears” under their required list with things like 3 mags, a hat etc.
I can’t stand wearing anything around my head as it creates a painful headache. It took me a long time to just get used to wearing a baseball cap for shooting matches.
I am a firm believer that you learn in a class more from what the Teacher is telling others to do and double checking yourself than from direct information. You definitely lose a lot of key information if not critical knowledge, wearing plugs while the Teacher is talking.
I know if also pisses the Trainer off when I ask him to repeat himself as I missed something.
Some Trainers like Randy Cain wear ear plugs and I can keep in synch with his taking them off and putting them on…but with most I really understand why they want everyone to have them.

OK any help? Any alternative suggestions. I have a Kyle Lamb Carbine 1.5 coming up, have not checked his site, but, would hate to have to withdraw from his class.
TIA
jon

Littlelebowski
12-14-11, 19:47
http://www.skdtac.com/SureFire-EarPro-EP3-Sonic-Defenders-p/sur.700.htm?1=1&CartID=0

These work.

Backstop
12-14-11, 20:02
I'd contact Kyle Lamb and see if you can wear earplugs.

He may also recommend a manuf for you.

I use Sonic Defenders Plus, EP-4: http://www.surefire.com/EP4-Sonic-Defenders-Plus

p7fl
12-14-11, 20:46
RE the Surefires:
I tried those last year. They seemed to work decently in the open and will re test the newer version that arrived last week.
Last year ran a USPSA stage that had 3 windows and 3 walls, you entered the space and shot targets using each window in the ¾ room.
The sound bounced off the walls painfully. Not sure why, but it was like I had no ear pro on at all. The ringing went on for a few days….. ouch.
:blink:

andy t
12-15-11, 08:54
You can find electronic ear pro in the same form factor as ear plugs, although it tends to be on the expensive side. I also noticed that my Sordins apply less pressure to my head than the Radians Pro Amp that I used previoiusly.

35percent
12-15-11, 17:41
Send them an email and ask if Sonic defenders or something would be OK. If not Peltor 6S are on sale at amazon for $35 ($15 discount when you're about to pay)

If comfort is a major factor for you I've head great things about Sordins with gel cups. Hope you find something that works for you.

Blaster
12-15-11, 18:04
I have been to a number of classes using standard muffs. Then I upgraded to Sordins. Honestly I haven't seen a earth shattering difference that I can't live without.

Don't get me wrong the Sordins are great and I can hear lots more but it amounts to more extraneous sounds. I never had trouble hearing range commands with standard muffs. I guess it really boils down to how good your hearing is. Also you should respect the wishes of the trainer running the class.

kartoffel
12-15-11, 18:29
Send them an email and ask if Sonic defenders or something would be OK. If not Peltor 6S are on sale at amazon for $35 ($15 discount when you're about to pay)

If comfort is a major factor for you I've head great things about Sordins with gel cups. Hope you find something that works for you.

Good idea. Surefire Sonic Defenders work a heck of a lot better than the worst of the cheap-o electronic muffs.

35percent
12-16-11, 01:41
Good idea. Surefire Sonic Defenders work a heck of a lot better than the worst of the cheap-o electronic muffs.

Forgot to add that when I'm in a class it's very easy for me to partially pop one side out while keeping it in my ear, allowing me to hear very well. When the line goes hot again I just push it in real quick and I'm good to go.

ST911
12-16-11, 09:59
In additional to enhancing communication on the line, I have also come to view electronic ear pro as safety gear. Anything that increases a students ability to be aware of things around them is welcome.

BaronFitz
12-16-11, 10:29
I've tried the Surefire Sonic Defenders, and they make my ear canal unbearably itchy. Sordin makes active muffs that go around the back of your head too as another option.

p7fl
12-20-11, 12:22
You can find electronic ear pro in the same form factor as ear plugs, although it tends to be on the expensive side.

Has anyone had success with these and who did you get them from?
Also, just tried the newer Surefire Sonic at an indoor pistol range. Not bad so far, looking forward to trying them outside with carbines.
thanks

GlockWRX
12-20-11, 13:05
You could look at the Walker's Game Ear (http://www.cabelas.com/product/Walkers174-Digital-HD-X-Game-Ear/1214146.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dwalkers%2Bgame%2Bear%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=walkers+game+ear&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products). They have a form factor similar to a hearing aid.

FWIW, I've used Sordins with the gel cups for several multi-day shooting classes with great success. However, they are low profile ear cups so they don't block out too much sound. A passive set of ear pro with similar sized cups will allow a similar amount of sound through. When I am indoors I also use a set of Surefire plugs. This blocks enough sound to be comfortable, but also allows a shooter to hear well.

Another place that electronic ear pro is a huge benefit is during team drills. They enable much better communication between team mates.

ArizonaLawman
12-20-11, 13:49
I've noticed more and more trainers are putting “electronic ears” under their required list with things like 3 mags, a hat etc.
I can’t stand wearing anything around my head as it creates a painful headache. It took me a long time to just get used to wearing a baseball cap for shooting matches.
I am a firm believer that you learn in a class more from what the Teacher is telling others to do and double checking yourself than from direct information. You definitely lose a lot of key information if not critical knowledge, wearing plugs while the Teacher is talking.
I know if also pisses the Trainer off when I ask him to repeat himself as I missed something.
Some Trainers like Randy Cain wear ear plugs and I can keep in synch with his taking them off and putting them on…but with most I really understand why they want everyone to have them.

OK any help? Any alternative suggestions. I have a Kyle Lamb Carbine 1.5 coming up, have not checked his site, but, would hate to have to withdraw from his class.
TIA
jon

That kind of grabbed my attention...remember YOU are paying a not inconsequential amount of money for the training. It behooves the instructor to make sure you get the information you are PAYING for (assuming of course you are paying attention). I have been teaching for over 15 years at the academy and civilian...and personally I feel it reflects badly ON ME if my class miss something and I get "pissed off" at having to repeat myself. I also spend quite a bit of after-class time talking with anyone who wants to take the extra time to go over anything on their mind.

The Surefire DO work great, and they DO help. You might want to give them a try.

TAZ
12-20-11, 13:56
Have no experience with the Sonic-Defender Plus series, but the original design was only useful when out in the field. In their defense I seriously doubt they were designed for indoor use or for use under cover. My experience with the original defenders was that as soon as some form of barrier was around the noise level grew like crazy. Enough to give me a headache after a few mags. However, at $15 they are worth a try. For around $50 you can get a pair of Howard Leight electronic muffs that work well and aren't very high profile to mess with cheek weld. In ear electronic muffs are lots of money, I mean can run into the 4 figure range for a set.