PDA

View Full Version : And now we're done...

Irish
12-14-11, 20:11
Barack Obama marked the symbolic end of the conflict in Iraq on Wednesday with a politically sensitive speech that celebrated the sacrifices of the US military and also accepted some of the aims of a war he once opposed.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/2e5fda48-268c-11e1-9ed3-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1gYzxxUwT

SeriousStudent
12-14-11, 20:55
Prayers sent for all those who gave their lives. I do pray for those who returned, those who waited for them here, and all those who were changed.

Do not forget that there are many that respect and appreciate your sacrifice.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-14-11, 21:16
Such a bittersweet day.

CarlosDJackal
12-14-11, 21:19
And what we have effectively done is leave behind fellow Americans who have to rely on Contract PSDs and the Iraqis to protect them.

Worse of all, we are giving up the stretegic high ground that is Iraq. The very high ground our troops won with their blood, sweat and tears.

Let us hope that the Iran-backed and trained insurgency does not occupy this high ground. Otherwise, we will probably have to go back and try to retake it.

Welcome home to our Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines!!

GermanSynergy
12-14-11, 21:27
I'll be going back.

Redmanfms
12-14-11, 21:41
What were we fighting for again? I forgot; I may have never really known.

Belmont31R
12-14-11, 21:57
My dad is still there right now. Not mil but help redeveloping their oil fields.

chadbag
12-15-11, 11:33
They are not all back:

For Sale, Cheap: The Things You Need to Invade a Nation - Businessweek

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/for-sale-cheap-the-things-you-need-to-invade-a-nation-12142011.html?section=highlights

-----

SteyrAUG
12-15-11, 11:53
What were we fighting for again? I forgot; I may have never really known.

Cliff Notes:

After 9-11 somebody said "Hey wait, doesn't Saddam have chemical weapons?"

We send UN to check on Saddams chemical weapons status. Saddam plays games and bribes UN inspectors forcing us to go ourselves.

While we are there we decide to "fix things" and make Iraq a happy place.

Operation Iraqi Disney doesn't go as planned and we mostly destabilize the country and then end up spending many extra years there so Iran doesn't walk in and take it.

In fairness, we might have succeeded in creating a "better Iraq" if it can sustain itself. But IMO it wasn't worth the sacrifice of our soldiers or tax dollars.

Javelin
12-15-11, 12:28
This honestly leaves me with feelings of mixed emotions. Mostly I confused at the way everything had been handled and I am sad in a way - but happy that others will not have to go back into that mess.

My concern is that it was all for not. And having been wounded over there I really hope that it was for something.

thopkins22
12-15-11, 15:16
There was a paragraph in this month's CSAT newsletter that struck me as appropriate.

"We cannot maintain a presence in the region with allies like Afghanistan and Pakistan. If they are not willing to fight and stand for something besides lining their personal pockets, withdraw. We tried and it was a noble effort. No more soldiers need die because the leaders of these countries are one stage above booger-eater status."

VooDoo6Actual
12-15-11, 15:43
Turned down 2 gigs there. Payscale has come down, not paying what it use too...

I'll wait other HIC's in other AO's imminient etc.

I'm making more now on a CONUS gig than a OCONUS gig in a Combat Zone.

armakraut
12-15-11, 16:09
Iraq = Sewer
Saddam = Manhole Cover

SteyrAUG
12-15-11, 16:37
This honestly leaves me with feelings of mixed emotions. Mostly I confused at the way everything had been handled and I am sad in a way - but happy that others will not have to go back into that mess.

My concern is that it was all for not. And having been wounded over there I really hope that it was for something.

Wasn't for nothing. At least we took a LOT of bad guys off the planet. People willing to travel to Iraq simply to engage in Jihad against the Great Satan are willing to do all kinds of things. One must consider how many innocent lives were saved by thinning the herd of these terrorists.

We've accomplished what we were able given the self imposed restrictions and limitations you guys were operating under. We don't have the opportunity or support from the public or government to achieve anything more significant. Might as well bring everyone home if we aren't gonna play to win.

But that isn't the same as it all being "for nothing."

Irish
12-15-11, 16:47
One must consider how many innocent lives were saved by thinning the herd of these terrorists.

One must also consider the fact that we've "fanned the flames" in the region and created possibly many more terrorists and enemies than we've killed. It is a distinct possibility and far from remote.

My statement doesn't take anything away from anybody, their sacrifices or anything of that nature so don't twist it.

GermanSynergy
12-15-11, 21:08
Turned down 2 gigs there. Payscale has come down, not paying what it use too...

I'll wait other HIC's in other AO's imminient etc.

You got that right.

Artos
12-15-11, 22:05
Iran made a formal announcement today as well:

"giggity"

SteyrAUG
12-15-11, 22:24
One must also consider the fact that we've "fanned the flames" in the region and created possibly many more terrorists and enemies than we've killed. It is a distinct possibility and far from remote.

My statement doesn't take anything away from anybody, their sacrifices or anything of that nature so don't twist it.

Sure there is a possibility of that. But I suspect that most of them would have hated us anyway.

montanadave
12-15-11, 22:38
Iran made a formal announcement today as well:

"giggity"

OK, you win! As mixed as my emotions are regarding our military intervention in Iraq, that made me laugh out loud.

Mo_Zam_Beek
12-16-11, 11:11
Prayers sent for all those who gave their lives. I do pray for those who returned, those who waited for them here, and all those who were changed.

Do not forget that there are many that respect and appreciate your sacrifice.

Well stated.

+ 1

ForTehNguyen
12-16-11, 11:57
except for the military contractors there. Those dont count in the deaths or statistics. Kind of strange to see PMCs guarding the military's own ending ceremony.

GermanSynergy
12-16-11, 21:20
except for the military contractors there. Those dont count in the deaths or statistics.

Not true.