PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas

zach70287
12-15-11, 18:56
So I need some help from you guys. I am new to prepping so I really don't have much at this moment and I want to make sure I am going in the right direction before I start getting to much stuff. Here is my situation. I live in O Fallon, MO which has approximately 80,000 people in it. I live unfortunately in a apartment and I live with my girlfriend. I want to know what I should do in the way of prepping. I have weapons to hunt and to protect myself. I am working on a BOB pack right now, but I don't know what to do in the way of food. Should I just have the food in my BOB or should I have some stashed in the apartment? My concern is that if shtf I don't think a apartment would be a very good place to be. I live 5 min away from a 7,000 acre conservation area. I was thinking that maybe I could go there. It used to be a old military base with bunkers, probably at least 20 of them. Then on the other hand I think that everyone and there mom would have that same idea. I just need some help. Thanks a lot for helping I am just new to all this.

SMETNA
12-15-11, 20:16
Do you have any "country cousins" that would take you in for a while in the event of an emergency?

Staying put is a no go with 80,000 neighbors. Heading into a wilderness is also a no go unless you have a sizable group of able bodies and a butt load of hand tools.

For food, store what you eat and eat what you store. People fall into the "spam trap" all the time, where they buy a metric shit ton of something they never eat, and then it goes bad and it's wasted. Storing freeze dried stuff can eliminate the waste, but it's costly. Best bet, store some pasta and rice and sauce and soup cubes. Go for freeze dried veggies.

Water is more important than food. Do you live near any water? Get a filter. A Katadyn Pocket is fantastic.

If youre here at M4C, I'll assume you have self defense squared away.

zach70287
12-15-11, 20:46
[QUOTE=SMETNA;1170273]Do you have any "country cousins" that would take you in for a while in the event of an emergency?

Yeah I have family that has a 900 acre farm. Small problem they live about 800 miles away. The closest sizable water supply is at the conservation area. It has about 30 lakes in it.

PA PATRIOT
12-15-11, 22:06
I would suggest two medium size rubber maid totes with a his and her theme. You pack multi season clothes and any other sanitary items, meds and first aid which would cover you for two weeks. Make sure you have cash in those kits as ATM and credit cards may not be accepted at stores should the system crash. And I would also have some way to store some spare gas for the vehicle just in case the crap hits the fan and you have only fumes in the tank.

Have her do the same and place those totes together and do not touch them unless your swapping out OTC items.

Next two more medium size totes and fill one with long term storage foods and the other with drinking water.

All these totes should be able to fit inside most small autos so a pack and run would be quick and organized.

You can add a small dome tent and some blankets which remain in the truck of the vehicle as well as some basic camping tools and fire starting items.

I would make prior arrangements with who ever you plan to bug in with on that farm so they know your coming should the SHTF. Trying to bug out on public land that everyone knowns about is a very bad idea.