PDA

View Full Version : New Glock .40......yay or nay?

Guinnessman
12-15-11, 19:45
Over the past two years I have consolidated my collection to mostly Glock pistols for carry and HD. My Glock collection consists of 2 G19's, a Gen 4 17, and a Gen 3 G34. The only .40 in my collection now is my everyday carry; a HK P2000SK.

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 that is going to get sold soon since I hardly shoot it. The funds from this gun will go to one or two more Glocks.

My Glock 34 has been a real joy to shoot and I really miss having a .40 full size in my collection. That is why I think the Gen 4 Glock 35 would be a good addition. The G35 would be used for IDPA and other local competitions.

What do you all think?

Vgex2
12-15-11, 20:36
I love mine.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt230/Vgex/Free%20Arms/Glock%2035%20Gen%204/P1060153.jpg

That's all I got to say about that.

Abraxas
12-15-11, 20:54
Nay. If you are set on.40, M&P is the way to go.

Ando
12-15-11, 21:50
.40 cal and Gen4 goes together!:D

Odglock
12-16-11, 20:02
Yay! GLOCK 40s are my favorite.

MCS
12-16-11, 21:11
I really like my O.D G22!

warpedcamshaft
12-16-11, 23:32
Over the past two years I have consolidated my collection to mostly Glock pistols for carry and HD. My Glock collection consists of 2 G19's, a Gen 4 17, and a Gen 3 G34. The only .40 in my collection now is my everyday carry; a HK P2000SK.

I have a Springfield Loaded 1911 that is going to get sold soon since I hardly shoot it. The funds from this gun will go to one or two more Glocks.

My Glock 34 has been a real joy to shoot and I really miss having a .40 full size in my collection. That is why I think the Gen 4 Glock 35 would be a good addition. The G35 would be used for IDPA and other local competitions.

What do you all think?

Sure, why not. I have heard multiple instances of G35's running well into the hundreds of thousands of rounds. I think the gen 4 guns in 40 are perhaps better than gen 3.

I also like to keep 9mm and 40 cal Glocks in my inventory. I practice with 9mm frequently, and keep a large stock of 40 S&W surplus police ammunition which costs less than 9mm defense rounds. During periods of ammo shortages, I can always get rounds of some type.

phenom00
12-17-11, 06:17
.40 cal and Gen4 goes together!:D

This should settle the issue!

packinaglock
12-17-11, 08:23
My gen 4 G27 & G23 have been perfect, I can't think of a down side of either.

Abraxas
12-17-11, 08:34
This should settle the issue!

Except it doesn't. The .40 glocks have always been plagued with problems and the 4th gens are no exception. While there has never been an issue with the one I was issued, there were around 6 in my academy that had to be returned to glock because our armors could not fix them. On top of that there were a few others with issues. Given we are talking a group of 36 those are not good odds

warpedcamshaft
12-17-11, 09:16
Except it doesn't. The .40 glocks have always been plagued with problems and the 4th gens are no exception. While there has never been an issue with the one I was issued, there were around 6 in my academy that had to be returned to glock because our armors could not fix them. On top of that there were a few others with issues. Given we are talking a group of 36 those are not good odds

What type of specific issues did you see? Also, what time frame was your time in the academy?

Guinnessman
12-17-11, 11:57
Sure, why not. I have heard multiple instances of G35's running well into the hundreds of thousands of rounds. I think the gen 4 guns in 40 are perhaps better than gen 3.

I also like to keep 9mm and 40 cal Glocks in my inventory. I practice with 9mm frequently, and keep a large stock of 40 S&W surplus police ammunition which costs less than 9mm defense rounds. During periods of ammo shortages, I can always get rounds of some type.

This is my thinking as well. However, I would like to hear more from Abraxas as to why he likes the M&P over a Glock. I have heard all the Gen 4 stories, and I have had Gen 4 issues myself that were fixed with the new ejector and RSA.

The M&P has great ergo's, but I don't like the trigger on the M&P. I would love to try the M&P with the Apex parts, but I don't know anyone with a M&P to try the set up.

Buying a M&P just to try the Apex parts is like Pelosi telling us to vote yes on the health care bill just to see what's in it!! :)

BTW is anyone on the board around Pittsburgh with a M&P w/ Apex parts? Thanks.

Ando
12-17-11, 17:27

Could you provide a little more info about the problems encountered? I assume these are all Gen4 22s? The problems with Gen3 .40s and Gen4 9mms seem fairly well publicized on the interwebs, but I have not seen anything in the way of problems with Gen4 .40s.

I have two Gen4 35s that each have about 500 rounds through them and function perfectly... so far.....

On the plus side if only 4 out of the 36 .40s had to be returned, sounds like better odds then the 9mms..:)

warpedcamshaft
12-17-11, 18:06
The only actual data I have seen so far regarding Gen4 Glocks 40's and M&P 40's was the results of the BATF pistol trials in which the Glock was chosen as the ATF's duty weapon. I also believe the M&P received part of that contract.

The Glock did suffer fewer shooter induced stoppages than the M&P in the document's description. However, it is very difficult to know the competence of the weapon operators.

http://www.gao.gov/decisions/bidpro/4023393.htm

Abraxas
12-17-11, 18:21
What type of specific issues did you see? Also, what time frame was your time in the academy?

2010, the ones that had to be sent back had the trigger fail to reset. A few had ejection problems.

Surf
12-17-11, 18:57
I have a 27, 23, 22 (gen4) and a 35 if that means anything. To make a certain power factor with hand loaded .40's would be great. However for full load defensive type ammo .40S&W is not necessarily my favorite choice in a full size Glock, but I have no big issues there either. :)