PDA

View Full Version : help me spend my money

RiddlerLS1
12-16-11, 09:52
So ive been trying to get somewhat prepared for what is bound to happen at some time or another. Im taking care of the food part, but i want you guys help on the defensive strategy where to spend my money next...

Here's where im at so far. For my BCM I have only got 3 mags right now but about 1200-1300 rounds of ammo and for my G23 ive got 2 mags and 500+ rounds of ammo and then for the Kahr 9mm ive got 1 mag and 500+ rounds of ammo. I have many other guns, 30-30s, 22s, 12g's, 30-06, 270, 38spl, 357, and a few others. I have lots of M1 garand ammo for the 30-06 all though its a hunting rifle. But mainly i want to focus my defense money between my BCM and my G23.

So having said that, in my mind, these are the options im debating on how to spend my close to $400...

1. A plate carrier that will allow me to carry mags, pistol and other misc stuff and will later have armor put in. Looking at the PIG and the new Blue force carrier

2. Spend it on another case of IMI193

3. Split the money and buy some more mags, eagle universal skd model chest rig, a blue force gear vcas sling and accompanying harware

I feel like i def need someway of carrying my mags and what not but whats the point if i run out of ammo eh?

If the shtf with a emp or solar flare wiping out all electronics, i feel my only option will be to stay on my property (40acres) and survive off the land and protect the territory. If that is the case i highly doubt there will be much for law enforcement rolling around being that pretty much every vehicle will be out of commission, so rolling around my property loaded down i dont think will be a problem.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Reagans Rascals
12-16-11, 09:53
take the money, go down to the post office, and send it to me

if you don't like that one

get a reloading kit... start reloading your own ammo instead of paying $250-500 for 1000 rounds commercially

RCBS starter kits are rather cheap

then just start stocking up on components....just hoard primers, brass, projectiles and powder..... have the components on hand to make 5-10k rounds if need be.... that way... in the event that shtf scenario does come.... you don't have to worry about going out to find ammo...

PA PATRIOT
12-16-11, 10:53
I would suggest using the funds to buy at least 10 quality AR magazines and a rig to carry them in, buying another three magazines for the G-23 and some buck shot for the 12ga just in-case your perimeter is breached and a second person is on location to use it.

If all your ammo is FMJ I would also suggest picking up some choices off the sticky list of duty ammunition for your primary ready magazines. If you get past those ready magazines your in deep and should be relocating.

Just remember to have your optics and irons marked so if you have to resort to using the FMJ you can just dial in using your marks quickly.

Guilty
12-16-11, 12:59
Here's my 2 cents
2. Spend it on another case of IMI193.
3. Also, buy the blue force gear vcas sling.
Add another $50.00 to your budget and buy some more magazines, money well spent.

Just a Jarhead
12-16-11, 13:23
-$139 Mags (10 pack Pmags from brownells)
- $ 50 blue force gear vcas sling
- $95 weapon light
- $60 light mount
- $139 BCM BCG
---------
$483

$83 Over budget. Oh well happens all the time! If you already have the light & mount or spare BCG, take the $150 and buy the eagle universal skd model chest rig or a good Safariland holster for your pistol.

One of the most diffficult things to due under severe stress is loading rifle magazines. When an event happens you need to have these preloaded. Some on you and some scattered around your house at pre-determined fighting positions. If you have pre-determined fighting positions outside (which you should) a few there as well. You need more magazines. 3 is way too few! At each predetermined fighting position you should have some loaded magazines, bottled water, energy bars, binoculars, a towel for cleaning optics as well as a whole list of items at each fighting position. I would acummulate a minimum of 20-30 even for the amount of ammo you presently have.

MIKE G
12-16-11, 14:24
Personally, I would suggest a Mayflower 556 UW chest rig, mags, and ammo.

When you can afford to put the money into armor you can get a Mayflower APC and connect the chest rig to the armor directly instead of just layering a chest rig over a PC.

If possible start saving once used brass now and hold out on reloading gear until you have other bases covered. If you have to bug out for whatever reason, it is going to be hard to drag all that reloading gear with you. Much easier to just take ammo already loaded in mags.

When it comes to rifles/carbines, I have tended to pick one round and stockpile it instead of 'carry ammo' and 'stock pile ammo'. This keeps me from having to adjust zero on the fly. I would much rather have 10k of standard FMJ ammo thank 1or 2k of specialty ammo.

Pistol ammo doesn't bother me so much since zero shift is minimal within the standard range of use 0-50m.

zach70287
12-16-11, 16:03
If I was in the same situation I would make more mags for all primary weapons top priority. Second would be some way to hold them. I wouldn't worry about anymore ammo at this point. My way of thinking is that if your in a firefight that uses 1000+ rounds. You have more problems to worry about than how much ammo you have.

RiddlerLS1
12-16-11, 16:17
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

i would love to get into reloading at some point, but i dont think its feasible for me just yet.

Im leaning towards the mags, sling, and chest rig. Still debating btwn more D&H mags and Pmags. I have 1 pmag and 2 D&H mags and havent had any problems out of either. So just thinking that for the price of 10pmags, i can get 14 more D&H mags with mapgul followers and gain 4 mags over buying pmags. I do like the pmags though, just thinking more may be better if both function equally well.

Also i need to really save up for an aimpoint. That was at the top of my list previously but the closer we get to potential disaster, its about in the middle of my priority list. I know it will certainly make surviving a fight less difficult, but without ammo or mags.... you get the point.

also as im not so much worried about using all of my ammo in one fire fight, im just thinking LONG term just depending on how bad things really will or could get.

MIKE G
12-16-11, 16:43
If I was in the same situation I would make more mags for all primary weapons top priority. Second would be some way to hold them. I wouldn't worry about anymore ammo at this point. My way of thinking is that if your in a firefight that uses 1000+ rounds. You have more problems to worry about than how much ammo you have.

I wasn't making the point of more ammo because of the idea of ONE fire fight but the possibility of a long term situation where you can't just run out to the store and get more ammo.

A mag here, a couple there, practice and teaching others to shoot and you can go through 1k pretty quick.

As for what others were saying I don't know but my reason for pushing to get more ammo is in line with a sever shortage OR it just isn't available because the market goes from order anything on the internet and it arrives in a few days to you are trading goods or services with your neighbors to feed and clothe yourself.

Gatorbait
12-17-11, 01:46
So ive been trying to get somewhat prepared for what is bound to happen at some time or another. Im taking care of the food part, but i want you guys help on the defensive strategy where to spend my money next...

Here's where im at so far. For my BCM I have only got 3 mags right now but about 1200-1300 rounds of ammo and for my G23 ive got 2 mags and 500+ rounds of ammo and then for the Kahr 9mm ive got 1 mag and 500+ rounds of ammo. I have many other guns, 30-30s, 22s, 12g's, 30-06, 270, 38spl, 357, and a few others. I have lots of M1 garand ammo for the 30-06 all though its a hunting rifle. But mainly i want to focus my defense money between my BCM and my G23.

So having said that, in my mind, these are the options im debating on how to spend my close to $400...

1. A plate carrier that will allow me to carry mags, pistol and other misc stuff and will later have armor put in. Looking at the PIG and the new Blue force carrier

2. Spend it on another case of IMI193

3. Split the money and buy some more mags, eagle universal skd model chest rig, a blue force gear vcas sling and accompanying harware

I feel like i def need someway of carrying my mags and what not but whats the point if i run out of ammo eh?

If the shtf with a emp or solar flare wiping out all electronics, i feel my only option will be to stay on my property (40acres) and survive off the land and protect the territory. If that is the case i highly doubt there will be much for law enforcement rolling around being that pretty much every vehicle will be out of commission, so rolling around my property loaded down i dont think will be a problem.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Well, it looks like there are several good options already posted, as diverse as if we all were asked how we each define "what is bound to happen at some time or another", which IMHO, is a great way of putting it, BTW.....

I think you are good for now with your Glock and magazines and 500 rds. of ammo. I would add 3 magazines later, though...

My first thought is that you will want to get a sling for your rifle 1st thing. I think a sling (and for me presonally, also a light) is essential to have, no matter what else you may put on it, but we all set up our gear in our own ways.....

I would get more magazines. How many to get? Well, the way I started out figuring an intial minimum # was by counting up how many can be carried in your bag, belt pouches, harness, LBV, or whatever you decide to get + gun, and double that amount. For me, I have a set-up that has 5 magazines on a belt, in pouches. So for me, I would be buying a total of 12 magazines. If your magazine carrier works with 6, then I would suggest 14. One word of caution about different rigs and pouches......some are made with the knowledge that Pmags will be used in them, and some are not. Some have very tight fits for the Pmags, so this might want to be tried out before you order the bulk of your magazines(since you already have both types of magazines.

As far as ammo goes, I agree that I would(and actually have)only 1 kind of 5.56 round to stock up on. Having said that, I also have to admit that I(also) keep 1 magazine in the HD AR loaded with 75gr.BTHP. This is only for 1 special purpose, with all of the other being 55gr. Privi, that I asked the local gun store to order for me. Their cost is 10% higher than AIM, but I try to go in there every Saturday morning to pick up a box or 5, and support the local business........
After reading SELCO's firsthand account of daily life in the Balkins, I think I need to put more stock in my pile of little whilt boxes.......
Please remember, that balance in preps(as in life) is important to maintain the journey. A wise old dude from South Carolina told me a ratio of 10 bullets per each day's worth of food was a good balance, and I believe this today. (10 loaded magazines=300 bullets)=30 days of food and water . All in the balance....

Good Luck,
gb

TimL2165
12-20-11, 01:14
How about spending the money on top-notch training. You could sign up for a carbine course from one of the big name instructors and get some valuable trigger time with your rifle & pistol. Yeah, you may need a little over $400, but you get the idea.

I know this at first sounds like it goes against the idea of stockpiling needed items, but if you are not adequately prepared to defend your castle then you may end up losing all that you've saved. I know no matter how well trained we all think we are, we can always use more training.

Plus, it will give you the opportunity to see how different gear setups work, and most importantly what gear doesn't work.

RiddlerLS1
12-21-11, 00:23
Good point on the training. I'll have to look into that but I don't think there's many top notch classes close to Arkansas plus I would def feel the need for more mags, a red dot, and some sort of chest rig or belt for said class.

TimL2165
12-21-11, 01:22
I totally understand the desire to have additional gear, however you have to have a balance between equipment & training.

Having all the high speed gear in the world won't do you much good if you don't know how to use it effectively. Stockpiling ammunition is a good plan in case of emergencies, but you should expend some of it raising your skill level.

Remember, shooting is a perishable skill, as are tactics. You may always remember the details of a certain tactic, but your ability to perform it under stress will deteriorate without regular practice (training).

As long as you have the minimum gear required to take the course you are interested in, you'll be fine. Yeah you might be drooling over some of the gear others show up with, but your abilities to defend yourself and the people you care about will be improved using what you have now, instead of waiting until you acquire more gear then save up for training.

I look at it this way... If the SHTF one week from now what would've benefitted me more, that fancy new do-dad or becoming more skillful in the use of the items I currently have.

Just my $.02.

TimL2165
12-21-11, 01:28
If you're gonna go for the gear right now, I'd get additional magazines, sling, and the chest rig. That way if you needed it in the very near future you'd have plenty of mags for your primary & secondary weapons, a way to secure the rifle when you need two hands for other tasks, and a way to carry extra ammunition while keeping your hands free. Any money left over can be either saved for the the next large purchase or used to purchase a small quantity of additional ammunition.

Gatorbait
12-21-11, 01:44
Good point on the training. I'll have to look into that but I don't think there's many top notch classes close to Arkansas plus I would def feel the need for more mags, a red dot, and some sort of chest rig or belt for said class.

Arkansas actually happens to have a very good training facility and training cadre in North Little Rock, AR; D.A.R.C.1. It is not publicized a lot, though. I did not know about it until recently. I was in the carbine class last fall...... AAR:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=89861

I believe they will have another carbine class in the Spring, as well as hosting the Behind Lines 'Spetnaz Winter Sniper Course" 25-26 Feb 2012, if you are interested in it.

Cheers,
gb