PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of Aimpoint M4 vs M3

Stan_TheGunNut
12-16-11, 10:40
I am planning on purchasing a new optic or two and have been trying to find what the advantage of the Aimpoint Comp M4 is over the M3. So far my searches have been fruitless. From what I can tell, the only difference between the two optics is that the M4 takes AA batteries and costs more. Is there something I'm missing?

I already have the M3 and am comfortable with that optic, but have to admit the T1 looks interesting as well. That said, I'd prefer to have the rifles set up the same. If the M4 offers a significant advantage over the M3, I may consider it. I just don't think that the abilitiy to take a AA battery is significant, particularly given the increased price. I certainly wouldn't trust a AAA not to corrode and mess things up for a couple of years in something as expensive as an M4 optic.

Educate me please.
Thanks.

austinN4
12-16-11, 11:09
Aimpoint Product Compare:
http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/product-comparison/

eternal24k
12-16-11, 11:11
I have all 3, I think my favorite is still the M3

Stan_TheGunNut
12-16-11, 11:35
Aimpoint Product Compare:
http://www.aimpoint.com/us/products/product-comparison/

Thanks for the link. However the product comparison doesn't seem to work for me. There is nothing in the drop down menu to compare and I can't seem to add anything by just typing it in. So I just did it the hard way and copied the tech sheets into MS Word and did a side by side comparison. In a nut shell, other than the battery and some dimensional differences in the optic, there is no major difference. The technology inside is the same (barring some tweaking that may have ocurred due to the change in battery type).

This exercise did help me make up my mind....I'll stick with the M3. I can't see paying more for what I see as no improvement.

Palmguy
12-16-11, 12:12
Longer battery life, more robust mounting and a more robust switch.

ST911
12-16-11, 12:19

What gives the M3 the nod for you?

warpigM-4
12-16-11, 12:25
I looked at a M4 when I wanted a Aimpoint and got the PRO it was the only thing that fit my budget .But anything Aimpoint you can't go wrong:D.I really liked the M4 it was like what I trained with in the army and the AA battery is everywhere and easy to find

BCmJUnKie
12-16-11, 12:32

Same here.

The M4 has 30,000 hours more battery life.

My M3 is still a 5 YEAR battery!

To me, the price of the M4 is not worth it.

Thats one optic I will NEVER own.

I dont like the mount, the battery case, the size, and I dont really care for the look of it.

I would take another M2 over an M4.

eternal24k
12-16-11, 14:48
What gives the M3 the nod for you?

1) Size
2) mounting options, a large variety of 30mm Aimpoint mounts
3) flip down caps, I hate completely taking off (and risk losing) the M4 bikini covers, but if I leave it hanging around the optic it can get in the way and bounce brass and cause malfunctions
4) 2MOA (personal preference)
5) price, especially now with the Pro and T-1 being the rage

ra2bach
12-16-11, 15:03
the elevation and windage adjustment on the M3 are under caps. on the M4/S they are exposed but "fenced" by raised sections of the body.

it also mounts with a solid mount along the bottom rather than a single 30mm ring around the front of the tube.

also mentioned is different battery, longer battery life, etc...

TOMTOM
12-16-11, 17:54
1) Size
2) mounting options, a large variety of 30mm Aimpoint mounts
3) flip down caps, I hate completely taking off (and risk losing) the M4 bikini covers, but if I leave it hanging around the optic it can get in the way and bounce brass and cause malfunctions
4) 2MOA (personal preference)
5) price, especially now with the Pro and T-1 being the rage

1. Strictly speaking, the M4 is shorter than the M3, and it's almost the same width & height. However, the M4 weighs 1.5 oz more (just unit, not with mount).
2. Not nearly as many mounting options for the M4 as the M3, but there are enough, IMO. The factory QRPII is actually decent.
3.Flip down caps are available for the M4, just like the m2/3 series.
4. M4 comes in 2 MOA
5. Price is high, thats for sure. BUT, You can usually buy used for $450-500.

I find the mounting design to be better than the M3's tube design. The locking lugs is a nice feature.

Stan_TheGunNut
12-16-11, 23:38
The battery life and ability to use a AA battery did make a difference for me. I don't see the AA battery as an enhancement. I've experienced alkaline batteries pucking themselves and making a mess and generally messing up electronics. I have yet to experience that with lithium batteries. Lithium batteries also store well compared to alkaline, so I really just don't see the "advantage" of the AA batteries. Add the additional cost of the M4, and the M3 seems the clear winner, at least for me.

Now I'm wondering if I should stick with the M3 or get a T1 micro. I'll probably stick with the M3, at least for the next purchase.

BCmJUnKie
12-17-11, 00:07
Exactly.

$300.00 For the ability to use AA batteries....not worth it. IMO.

N batteries are small and if you go with a LaRue mount, it stores an extra battery anyway.

Aimpoint says that the M4 is the best optic ever. I disagree.

Why did they skip the M3 for M68 and go with the M4? The last
M68CCO was the M2.

Anyway, Im with you Stan,
Im in the same boat, deciding whether to go with another M3 or T-1 for my 12.5".

Im thinking I should go with the M3 for the 2moa dot.

Magic_Salad0892
12-19-11, 03:19
I prefer the M4.

More solid mount.
Batteries are more easy to find if a flood, power outage or something occurs where law cannot be sustained.
More waterproof.
More battery life.
M4S has good battery placement.
Blue tint seems to be a little less with the M4.
Field of view seems to be a little better.
Absolute co-witness is easier.
More brightness settings.
More settings to use with NV.

That's worth the $300 to me, but I'd buy used anyway.

Anybody who thinks the M3 is better is blantantly in denial.

However, I do think the M3 is an extremely viable optic based on price, and availability.

The Trijicon ACOG TA44S-10 is also a viable option. I have one. However I may part with it, due to future plans to use NV, and IR laser.

... If I actually do it.

Makarov
12-19-11, 04:32
I've got both a M4 w/original QPR mount and a M4s with a LaRue mount. I prefer the M4 series due to the AA batteries(I like to standardize all my electronics around either AA or CR123) and the 2MOA dot, and since I got both fo' cheap, I saw no reason not to buy these over other Aimpoints.

Also, with good alkaline AA batteries, leakages are not a problem, but if you want some peace of mind, Lithium AA's cost $2, and will last a looong time.

Dos Cylindros
12-19-11, 05:49
M4/M4s for me all the way. An M4s in an ADM socom mount sits on my patrol carbine. The AA bateries and battery life are big sellers for me, as is the enhanced durability over the previous generations (not that they were slouches mind you) clearly make this the optic of choice for my use. Nothing wrong with the M3 though.

markm
12-19-11, 10:03
I tried a loaner M4 for a few weeks. Couldn't learn to love it.

When I first got it, it had a puked battery in the compartment. Not so messy that it affected function, but it highlighted a potential downside.

I haven't had a chance to run a compM3, but I can say that I didn't like how much of my field of view was gobbled up by the bulk of the M4.

Dave L.
12-19-11, 10:38
A retard can mount an M4 and the AA battery, which can be found everywhere, lasts 80K hours.

I also have an M2 and it's ok for the money but I prefer the M4 over it.

RPD03
12-19-11, 13:18
I like the M4s but again personal preference. All our agency guns have Aimpoints (M2, M3 and Pro) and all serve the purpose well. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

jhs1969
12-19-11, 22:43
I've had aprox 4 ML2's and currently run one on my MP15-22:laugh:. I do like it very much but I replaced it on my primary carbine a couple of years ago with the M4s and have not looked back. The "s" model is sweet, I never expected the lowered battery compartment to be as big of an improvement as it is. After getting the M4s I no longer look at nor wonder about another RDS. Maybe it's just me.

jhs1969
12-19-11, 22:45
I like the M4s but again personal preference. All our agency guns have Aimpoints (M2, M3 and Pro) and all serve the purpose well. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Well said, I dont' think you will find a "bad" Aimpoint.

ST911
12-19-11, 22:51
Another advantage to the M4 and T1 over the C3/M2/M3 that I haven't seen yet... Correct installation in their mounts is not reliant upon calculation or estimation of TDS, and adjustment knobs will always be oriented the correct way. This is a problem for some LCDs.

TOMTOM
12-20-11, 15:35
Another advantage to the M4 and T1 over the C3/M2/M3 that I haven't seen yet... Correct installation in their mounts is not reliant upon calculation or estimation of TDS, and adjustment knobs will always be oriented the correct way. This is a problem for some LCDs.

excellent point. I've seen quite a few people with M2/M3's mounted incorrectly.

Magic_Salad0892
12-20-11, 18:03
I tried a loaner M4 for a few weeks. Couldn't learn to love it.

When I first got it, it had a puked battery in the compartment. Not so messy that it affected function, but it highlighted a potential downside.

I haven't had a chance to run a compM3, but I can say that I didn't like how much of my field of view was gobbled up by the bulk of the M4.

If you didn't like the M4, you won't like the M3.

Stick to your irons Mark.

markm
12-21-11, 07:50
If you didn't like the M4, you won't like the M3.

Stick to your irons Mark.

I kinda liked shooting the H-1/T-1 sight. That RDS is much less bulk and clutter.

Vgex2
12-21-11, 08:17
I kinda liked shooting the H-1/T-1 sight. That RDS is much less bulk and clutter.

I just ordered the H-1 with tall TRP mount from Brownell's for $455 shipped. I hope I like it as much as everyone hangs on the T-1/H-1 design.

Magic_Salad0892
12-22-11, 20:56

T-1 in a absolute co-witness mount is great IMHO.

You might like the ACOG TA44S-10.

That thing has great field of fiew.

The M3 blocks more view than the M4 I think.

kenner
12-24-11, 11:15
I have tried all of the aimpoints over the years, M-2, M-3, M-4, T-1
I have liked them all in some way shape or form, they all had their pluses and negatives, in the end I have 2 Knights SR-15 rifles and 1 BCM rifle and all 3 have the Aimpoint Comp 4's mounted on them, overall they just seem to work the best for me, I also have not had any issues at all with any Aimpoint products (period)

Thanks
kenner