PDA

View Full Version : Waterbob

murphman
12-16-11, 19:21
I wanted to get yall opinion on the Waterbob i have been seeing on cheaperthandirt lately. Holds 100 gal and you put it into your bathtub and fill that way. In a SHTF event do you see this being a viable source of water storage? I want to say from reading a water storage article that the high density poly plastic containers are not good for long term storage of chlorinated water because it dissolves it. But if your plan is a bug in and you live in a large city that has tap I see this as being a HUGE advantage to have because in those first few hours society collaspes you can fill them up before water plants shut down (if they do) and the water in the waterbob could be used for immediate use before tapping into storage water.

What are yalls thought?

Here is the link if you have not seen one before.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP205-1.html

Brimstone
12-16-11, 19:47
For the price, it is hard to go wrong. For a SHTF scenario where you have some warning and time to fill it I would think it would be very handy. I may even throw one or two on an order if I end up ordering anything else from CTD.

PA PATRIOT
12-16-11, 20:00
I would have to research what the liner was made of to see if anything could leech into the water it stores. I can't get the link to work but if its made in China its probable full of BPA.

murphman
12-16-11, 20:15
yeah i cant even go to CTD.com right now, something might be wrong with their site but the material it is made of is FDA approved but i know that doesnt help for specifics on what it is made of.

Moose-Knuckle
12-16-11, 21:38
the material it is made of is FDA approved but i know that doesnt help for specifics on what it is made of.

The FDA approves some of the most toxic substances for human consumption. BPA is banned in Canada and many European countries but not here thanks to the FDA (.gov).

montanadave
12-16-11, 22:09
If I have to choose between dying of dehydration in a couple of days or waiting 20-30 years for the onset of potential side effects from the possible short-term exposure to one of about five billion carcinogens we encounter on a daily basis, I'm getting a drink.

I stuck one of these water bobs in the linen closet next to the john. And, if the need arises, I will use it with no qualms.

Gatorbait
12-17-11, 02:16
If I have to choose between dying of dehydration in a couple of days or waiting 20-30 years for the onset of potential side effects from the possible short-term exposure to one of about five billion carcinogens we encounter on a daily basis, I'm getting a drink.

I stuck one of these water bobs in the linen closet next to the john. And, if the need arises, I will use it with no qualms.

Yeap, me too.
IMHO, the BOB has a place in water preps. In the old days in hurricane country, we all washed the tubs in the days before, so that if we had to fill it up, it was ready........In today's society, we may not have that much warning. Pumping stations and elevated tanks may still be pumping water after an event, but probably not for very long. Having that BOB ready to go might net you an extra couple hundred gallons of water(or...maybe not). Who knows for sure, but it does provide an additional option to the funky tub(the one that you said you would clean and scrub last week.....remember?).

I don't think BOB is for long term storage, or will travel well either. It is made to sit in a tub....

HIH,
gb

Paraclete comes
12-17-11, 09:43
Im with Dave on this one, Im drinking the water. I can worry about the potential side effects some other time. I have been thinking about picking one of these up locally for awhile now. Great little christmas gift that could be very beneficial and takes little space and very reasonable price.

PA PATRIOT
12-17-11, 09:58
I just ordered four of them.

docsherm
12-17-11, 15:40
I am going to get one for each of my tubes. That is a good idea.

Moose-Knuckle
12-17-11, 17:28
For those of you who do not take lightly toxins and their impact on the body, here is a good write up on Bisphenol A (BPA) (http://www.kleankanteen.com/about/bpa.php).

Brimstone
12-17-11, 18:17
For those of you who do not take lightly toxins and their impact on the body, here is a good write up on Bisphenol A (BPA) (http://www.kleankanteen.com/about/bpa.php).

Tip of the iceberg in my opinion. I have been trying to reduce my intake of chemicals and processed foods, but the bad thing about BPAs is that they sneak into your food by leeching out of containers. Hard to trust any government oversight when BPAs are ok, but things like whole unpasteurized milk are banned.

thopkins22
12-17-11, 18:52
I'm not saying that BPA is great...but it doesn't deserve the hype it's gotten. Getting grant money for BPA research is much like it was for global warming a few years ago. If I can manage to pretend like my research will tell me something about BPA, then my chances of getting the grant go up. I've seen research talking about everything from diabetes, breast cancer, insufficiently developed male genitalia, dementia, renal failure, and hundreds others. It can't be responsible for all of those things.

Granted this group is funded by plastic companies, but there's some good info if you'll dig.
http://plastics.americanchemistry.com/Product-Groups-and-Stats/PolycarbonateBPA-Global-Group

The American Council on Science and Health on the science that BPA bans ignore.
http://www.acsh.org/factsfears/newsid.2977/news_detail.asp

Moose-Knuckle
12-17-11, 19:25
Tip of the iceberg in my opinion. I have been trying to reduce my intake of chemicals and processed foods, but the bad thing about BPAs is that they sneak into your food by leeching out of containers.

Spot on, I only use glass at home and at work. Any beverages I buy are also in glass. I'm finding more and more BPA free lined can goods. Also my water storage jugs are made in Canada and are BPA free. Not all plastic is toxic.

Hard to trust any government oversight when BPAs are ok, but things like whole unpasteurized milk are banned.

LOL, this as they say is a clue. ;)

I'm not saying that BPA is great...but it doesn't deserve the hype it's gotten. Getting grant money for BPA research is much like it was for global warming a few years ago. If I can manage to pretend like my research will tell me something about BPA, then my chances of getting the grant go up. I've seen research talking about everything from diabetes, breast cancer, insufficiently developed male genitalia, dementia, renal failure, and hundreds others. It can't be responsible for all of those things.

Granted this group is funded by plastic companies, but there's some good info if you'll dig.
http://plastics.americanchemistry.co...A-Global-Group

The American Council on Science and Health on the science that BPA bans ignore.
http://www.acsh.org/factsfears/newsi...ews_detail.asp

I appreciate the links you provided and will pour over them as time permits. The link I posted above has links to over 200 studies on the matter. I'm not an MD but I do know enough that I do not want exposure to an endocrine disruptor that mimics estrogen.

thopkins22
12-17-11, 19:30
I appreciate the links you provided and will pour over them as time permits. The link I posted above has links to over 200 studies on the matter. I'm not an MD but I do know enough that I do not want exposure to an endocrine disruptor that mimics estrogen.

No doubt...over a long period of time things like glass and stainless are no doubt good calls. But to the point that I wouldn't use something like the product mentioned? Not remotely.

Testosterone breaks down into estrogen...you've already got it coursing through your veins.

LoboTBL
12-18-11, 01:05
OK...I'm not even going to weigh in on the BPA issue. What I am going to suggest is that unless you are in an extremely arid area, water is not that scarce. You may have to collect it, you may have to filter it and you may have to make it potable by boiling or by chemical means. If you are in a "bug in" situation, you should have a well or other supply of readily available fresh water that you can make suitable for consumption. If you are in a "bug out" situation, well you definitely need to educate yourself on how to collect water and make it suitable for drinking. At approximately 8lbs per gallon, (5 gallon water container = approx. 40 lbs) the amount of water you can carry will be severely limited depending on your mode of travel. Take a walk with 2 full 5 gallon water jugs and decide how much you want to keep walking after about 100 yards....just sayin. The situation doesn't change that dramatically with motorized transportation, you still are limited in the amount of water you can realistally take with you.

thopkins22
12-18-11, 01:34
I wouldn't be storing that amount of water for consumption...I'd think of it as a supply to flush the toilet with that wouldn't drain out slowly like directly in the bathtub might.

When Ike hit I used the big trashcan from the city to store water just in case for that very reason.

Also, if someone WERE to store it for consumption, I'd use your argument to justify it. Water is heavy, I don't want to lug it from the bayou every single day. Besides filtered or not the Buffalo Bayou is gross.

Moose-Knuckle
12-18-11, 04:17
I wouldn't be storing that amount of water for consumption...I'd think of it as a supply to flush the toilet with that wouldn't drain out slowly like directly in the bathtub might.

This is what I would use the waterbob for as well. Drinking water is one thing but your gonna need to flush a toilet and or bathe at some point. If your out and not cramped in an urban environment then a latrine would be in order and would for go the need of water.

murphman
12-18-11, 08:18
OK...I'm not even going to weigh in on the BPA issue. What I am going to suggest is that unless you are in an extremely arid area, water is not that scarce. You may have to collect it, you may have to filter it and you may have to make it potable by boiling or by chemical means. If you are in a "bug in" situation, you should have a well or other supply of readily available fresh water that you can make suitable for consumption. If you are in a "bug out" situation, well you definitely need to educate yourself on how to collect water and make it suitable for drinking. At approximately 8lbs per gallon, (5 gallon water container = approx. 40 lbs) the amount of water you can carry will be severely limited depending on your mode of travel. Take a walk with 2 full 5 gallon water jugs and decide how much you want to keep walking after about 100 yards....just sayin. The situation doesn't change that dramatically with motorized transportation, you still are limited in the amount of water you can realistally take with you.

You live in Houston as well as I and I know you know how nasty the bayous are here. So if what you mean by water collection is going to the bayou to collect you need to think about everyone else that will be doing the same and the dangers of leaving your bug in to venture out to the bayou. I know part of your water collection plan is rain water well rain is not something you can count on as much as we use to here I mean look at it now, we can go over a month without rain and that 1 rain might only produce 1/10th an inch of rain.

This is why i posted this product up, to get people opinions and ideas going. I personally had tunnel vision and was only thinking drink purposes. Some have suggested for bathing/toilet maybe even washing dishes etc. and i think if your drinking water storage is already good to go then these other purposes sounds like a really good idea so there is less rationing of your drinking water for non drinking purposes.

onebigelf
01-15-12, 15:41
I have 2. Our house started out as a weekend retreat cabin and has been added onto repeatedly. As a result it has 4 bathrooms, 2 of them with bathtubs. 200 gallons of water storage $40 is a godsend.

John