PDA

View Full Version : SPR Build Question

Plumber237
12-17-11, 07:39
Here is the scenario: I want to build an SPR AR and basically have 2 options on an upper that I will build it off of.

Option 1:
I have a 20" 1/7 twist, standard government BCM upper, which I can send off to ADCO and for $287 can have the front post shaved down and have Troy TRX 13" Free-float rails installed. From this point on I am already set as far as which Bipod, Scope, Scope mount, and stock. This route would run my roughly $1,990.

Option 2:
I can sell my 20" BCM upper to a friend for somewhere between $250 and $300, so I'll just split the difference and say $275. Then I can order from BCM an SPR Mk 12 Mod 2 Bravo upper which has a low pro gasblock, the stainless SS410 18" 1/8 twist barrel, and LaRue 12" Free-float rails. This route with the same accessories as option 1 would cost about $2400.

Basically what I am wondering is will it be worth the extra $410 for the upgraded barrel and "better" handguards? I'm not too familiar with the technical benefits of the SS410 1/8 twist 18" barrel over a standard that is 2" longer...so any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Plumber

Ironman8
12-17-11, 07:44
I'm sure others will ask this, so I'll just go ahead and ask first, but what is your goal for the rifle? What are you going to use it for?

Plumber237
12-17-11, 12:29
I want to build this SPR to compliment my 14.5 Midlength w/aimpoint but also add the distance element, where I'm limited to 300 yards with my middy setup. It's for a 2nd rifle, SHTF scenario weapon. No competition use, but I have a couple places available to push the distance limits of 5.56. I guess it'd be a bit of a learning tool for precision shooting/SHTF backup/or primary, distance and environment depending.

thopkins22
12-17-11, 12:51
I want to build this SPR to compliment my 14.5 Midlength w/aimpoint but also add the distance element, where I'm limited to 300 yards with my middy setup. It's for a 2nd rifle, SHTF scenario weapon. No competition use, but I have a couple places available to push the distance limits of 5.56. I guess it'd be a bit of a learning tool for precision shooting/SHTF backup/or primary, distance and environment depending.

If you really want precision, then the stainless barrel is probably worth it, but be ready to invest in match ammo...otherwise it's totally moot. And you're not limited to 300 with your current setup. I've banged steel at 500 with a BCM BFH 14.5" mid length and a TR24. For that matter I've seen a guy do it with a S&W M&P with a T-1 shooting XM-193.

Plumber237
12-17-11, 14:42
I was planning on going with the Black Hills 77gr Open-Tip Match...which I believe is the civilian equivalent of the mk 262 round that the military uses with their SPRs. Would that be good enough ammo to warrant getting the stainless barrel? Or would it be fairly precise at 500+ yards out of my 20", where I could use the saved $410 to buy ammo?

TAZ
12-17-11, 18:21
Or you could just buy an Mk12-Mod1 upper from ADCO, Centurion, Noveske or BCM for around $1200-1400 depending on options and keep your 20" upper for later or another build.

Sorry, I misread your post and thought that you had the other accessories and weren't looking to purchase them. Guess those totals make more sense now :)

I'd go with option 2 or have ADCO rebarrel your upper with a WOA SPR contour barrel. Mine shoots a whole lot better than I can.

TehLlama
12-18-11, 06:42
The other sillier option is to just build it as a SAM-R/SDMR type - leave the existing barrel, free float it (LT, DD, C4 12"+ handguard) and go from there. The 13" or 15" TROY or TROY/VTAC rails are also a good value proposition.

If you're not running it suppressed, I'd spend money on the trigger and stocking 262 or similar match ammo before being that worried about the barrel, but the WOA barrels are great starting points if you do decide to go that route.

Plumber237
12-20-11, 12:58
Thanks for the input guys, my friend made up my mind for me by buying my 20" BCM upper, so I am going to go ahead and order a BCM SPR upper to start my build.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-20-11, 13:14
Personaly I would just buy a DD, larue, or troy rail and a new low profile gas block and put them on the BCM rifle you allready have. Thats what I did and it works great. I got the rail used on the site here paid well under new pricing.

20" BCM rifle with Larue 13" rail.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn119/ICANHITHIMMAN/guns0012.jpg

TehLlama
12-23-11, 03:42
Thanks for the input guys, my friend made up my mind for me by buying my 20" BCM upper, so I am going to go ahead and order a BCM SPR upper to start my build.

That's helpful.

The BCM SS Mk12's are great - worth also looking at the Centurion, HC, Noveske, and ADCO ones as well for price - the top four are all amazing rifles, and the price of the ADCO if you want a more purist Mod1 is impressive.

Plumber237
12-27-11, 08:32
Thanks TehLlama, I have been really impressed with BCM, so I will be going with their SPR build. The only other question is of which upper to go with, I like the fact that the KAC/RAS is what the military SPR's are running, but idk how much I like having the gas block exposed. Where as the LaRue 13" or DD 14" cover the gas block and are both cheaper by just a little bit $30 or so. Is having an exposed gas block something to worry about enough to go with different rails that cover it? I believe BCM pins the gas blocks on the SPR uppers...if that helps

Plumber237
12-27-11, 11:13
I appreciate the offer nimslerpon, but I'm going to be buying the upper with the rails already installed, as I have neither the tools nor the knowledge to install one piece free-float rails. How did you like the LaRue rails? Why getting rid of them?

nimslerpon
12-27-11, 12:59
No problem, I actually swapped them out for URXIII rails as soon as I got the upper, I never actually used them.

mstennes
12-27-11, 14:05
That's helpful.

The BCM SS Mk12's are great - worth also looking at the Centurion, HC, Noveske, and ADCO ones as well for price - the top four are all amazing rifles, and the price of the ADCO if you want a more purist Mod1 is impressive.

Theres also High Caliber Sales SPR's

11am1a
01-01-12, 22:51
Theres also High Caliber Sales SPR's

Excellent uppers may I add.

nimslerpon
01-05-12, 03:09
I think a 1:7 twist may be a better choice for heavier grain ammo. Either way, nice upper.

Cameron
01-05-12, 12:32
The 1in8" twist rate will shoot 77gr ammo very well. My Bravo Company 18" SS410 1in8" twist SPR is a sub MOA rifle with 77gr SMKs.

Cameron

nimslerpon
01-05-12, 15:18
Well I stand corrected. Thanks Cameron.