PDA

View Full Version : what's your j-frame practice load? (reloaded)

skyugo
12-17-11, 13:24
I'm going to pick up some 38 special dies soon. I reload 9mm and 223. 9mm generally gets HS6 powder as i like the way it meters and it is low on flash. It's a bit on the snappy side though, so maybe unique for the j-frame? I'd like to keep the recoil on the mild side to encourage training with this gun. My carry ammo is 110 grain hornady xtp +p which in the few i've shot, i feel the recoil is pretty tolerable.
I was thinking of posting this in reloading, and if it would be more appropriate there feel free to move it mods, but this seems to be the place all the revolver guys hang out....

I mostly shoot indoors, is there any technique to mitigate the smokiness of lead bullets? The price is certainly right... thinking of using these in 125 grain http://uniqueprecisionbullets.com/38.htm

thanks guys.

Dienekes
12-17-11, 22:04
I use Unique for all my handgun shooting, but it does tend to be on the smoky side. My cast bullets probably aggravate that...

For practice and plinking in the .38 Spl. I use 5.0 grains and a cast 150 grain SWC in everything including a 442. Good accuracy and standard velocity. Not an ideal defense load but no slouch either.

I am familiar with 110 gr. JHPs but the POI can be noticeably lower with fixed sights which normally are regulated for 158 grain loads. 110s can also be lacking in penetration, which can work against you with fat/heavily muscled persons or persons wearing heavy winter clothing.

All handguns are lacking but the "FBI load" of a Plus P 158 gr. LSWCHP is about as good as it gets in a .38 Spl. Airweights are OK with it in limited amounts.

Look up "ball and dummy" or "skip loading" as a way to build proficiency and incidentally stretch your ammo.

skyugo
12-18-11, 19:47
does recoil tend to be higher or lower with heavier bullets? I've heard both ways....

CAVDOC
12-22-11, 09:33
most all S&W revolvers sights are regulated for approxiamtely point of aim point of impact with standard velocity 158 grain lead round nose ammo.
My practice load is a 158 grain lead round nose with 4 grains of winchester 231 powder- equals a factory 158LRN.
I know of no way to minimize smoke when loading lead bullets- they just produce more -not mcuh will change that.
If you are allowed to use jacketed bullets (the indoor ranges in my area are built such that the backstops will only handle plain lead bullets so I don't get a choice) and want to fine- but most revolvers I have had tend to shoot much tighter groups with lead bullets.
In a fixed sight gun at say 50 feet expect bullets lighter than the "standard" 158 to shoot lower on target- my 125 non plus p carry load is exactly 2 inches low at 7 yards and 3 at 50 feet when fired out of my j frames

Hizzie
12-22-11, 09:50
Take a look at Berry's Bullets. They are plated lead to reduce lead exposure indoor. http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c13-38357_Cal_.357.aspx

skyugo
12-24-11, 13:44
Take a look at Berry's Bullets. They are plated lead to reduce lead exposure indoor. http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-c13-38357_Cal_.357.aspx

cool, i can get those locally. I've used their 9mm bullets with great success. Not the cheapest things in the world, but not bad.

BlaineD
12-31-11, 12:39
I use 4.1 grains of Tite Group under a cast 158gr bullet. Usually swc, but sometimes RN. Not smoky at all through a model 10 and 442.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Mark/MO
01-01-12, 15:59
I use Unique for all my handgun shooting, but it does tend to be on the smoky side. My cast bullets probably aggravate that...

For practice and plinking in the .38 Spl. I use 5.0 grains and a cast 150 grain SWC in everything including a 442. Good accuracy and standard velocity.

+1
I've run 5.0 grains of Unique and a 158 gr. SWC in 38 Special for years. Actually anything between 4.5 - 5.0 grains has always shot well for me.

Detmongo
01-02-12, 08:35
i don't shoot much .38 these days and if i do it's usually out of j frames, anyhoo when all i shot was .38's i used a handload of 158 gr. hard cast swc on top of 4 grains of win. 231.. great load. i've shot tons of that load over the years.

SteveS
08-23-12, 15:20
i don't shoot much .38 these days and if i do it's usually out of j frames, anyhoo when all i shot was .38's i used a handload of 158 gr. hard cast swc on top of 4 grains of win. 231.. great load. i've shot tons of that load over the years.That is the exact load I use and it is "just" right"

DBR
08-24-12, 23:56
I prefer flush seated 148gr wadcutters for 38spl practice. I like 2.8-3gr of 231, Green Dot, Titegroup or Bullseye. I second the plated bullets. Rainer or Berrys.