PDA

View Full Version : Welder suggestions?

Reagans Rascals
12-17-11, 14:23
My current welder shit the bed on me and I'm looking to replace it and upgrade at the same time.

I had a Hobart Handler 140 MIG, and it ran flawlessly for everything I've needed. I rarely ever do much welding above 1/4" in a single pass so the 140 output was never an issue, plus I loved the 110volt input allowing it to be used anywhere.

I am looking to get a TIG setup and came across this:

http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eastwood-tig-ac-dc-welder.html

has 200 amp max output, high freq start which is essential for TIG, and has multi-voltage capability so I can use it with 110 and 230volt. The price is outstanding for a TIG with those kinds of features.... my question is...

Do any of you have any experience with Eastwood welders? Would you risk the money on that brand? or wait quite awhile until you had the money to purchase a better known brand such as another Hobart or a Miller?

Has a good warranty for what it says, and I've read the different reviews available and it seems to be fine for the hobbiest, which I would classify myself as.... not welding as a career, but would still like a reliable machine.

What say you welders out there?

or perhaps one of you could put onto the lead of a cheaper ($700-$1000) TIG setup?

Thomas M-4
12-17-11, 14:35
When it comes to welders there is only one name... Miller

Reagans Rascals
12-17-11, 14:38

the same company that makes Miller... makes Hobart...

Thomas M-4
12-17-11, 14:52
the same company that makes Miller... makes Hobart...

I have used a Hobart more than Miller because that is what we had to work with. I was a former pipe fitters apprentice many moons ago and the way it was explained to us was that Miller used better electronics and had a finer control adjustments. They all can do the job the difference was in es of use and durability.

I have a no name central air unit that Standard heating and Air makes that doesn't mean I have a Standard Heating and Air unit.

Just Saying..

Reagans Rascals
12-17-11, 15:09
I have used a Hobart more than Miller because that is what we had to work with. I was a former pipe fitters apprentice many moons ago and the way it was explained to us was that Miller used better electronics and had a finer control adjustments. They all can do the job the difference was in es of use and durability.

I have a no name central air unit that Standard heating and Air makes that doesn't mean I have a Standard Heating and Air unit.

Just Saying..

I would venture to say that if Standard Heating and Air makes the unit... you have a standard heating and air unit....

that's like saying Chevy makes my car but I wouldn't call it a Chevy....

Thomas M-4
12-17-11, 15:15
I would venture to say that if Standard Heating and Air makes the unit... you have a standard heating and air unit....

that's like saying Chevy makes my car but I wouldn't call it a Chevy....

LOL I wish it worked like that.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-17-11, 16:37

Agreed I'm a Union Ironworker and by far miller is the best bet.

Eric D.
12-17-11, 16:50
Another vote for miller. I have a Millertmatic 135 I got for my 14th birthday and its still going strong.

I haven't looked in awhile but the cheapest TIG setup I remember by Miller was $1000.

Reagans Rascals
12-17-11, 16:51
I understand the universal sentiment of Miller being the best... the only issue is... you can't touch a 200 amp Miller TIG for less than $3000

Suwannee Tim
12-17-11, 19:03
Have you ever run TIG?

Reagans Rascals
12-17-11, 19:26
Have you ever run TIG?

have you?

Suwannee Tim
12-19-11, 08:00
Yeah.

Reagans Rascals
12-19-11, 08:37
as have I

Suwannee Tim
12-19-11, 08:53
So I don't need to tell you TIG is harder than it looks. I am in the market for a welder as well, most of what I do I do with a stick. I require DC stick and TIG with hi freq would be a great bonus. I've got my little buddy watching Craig's List. He has gotten some fabulous bargains off CL, like a Hobart plasma cutter for $600. Seller was in a bind, LB* had cash money. If you don't need a machine today or tomorrow, CL is a good plan. I'm also thinking about an engine driven machine I could use for backup power.

*LB = Little Buddy = 6'10"

Reagans Rascals
12-19-11, 09:43
So I don't need to tell you TIG is harder than it looks. I am in the market for a welder as well, most of what I do I do with a stick. I require DC stick and TIG with hi freq would be a great bonus. I've got my little buddy watching Craig's List. He has gotten some fabulous bargains off CL, like a Hobart plasma cutter for $600. Seller was in a bind, LB* had cash money. If you don't need a machine today or tomorrow, CL is a good plan. I'm also thinking about an engine driven machine I could use for backup power.

*LB = Little Buddy = 6'10"

I've looked at engine driven machines, but most affordable machines are only 150 amp AC/DC outputs

I'd like to have 200 amp capacity just for the versatility of future projects.

Plus 200 + amps is pretty much necessary with any of the thicker aluminum.

Suwannee Tim
12-19-11, 10:03
I mentioned to my wife that I was thinking of an engine driven machine. She gave me permission to get one so long as it has four doors, a V6 and is red. I don't think Miller makes anything like that.