PDA

View Full Version : Affordable suppressor for both the AR15 & AK74

MilitaryArms
12-17-11, 14:33
I had a chance to test out the new Huntertown Arms Kestrel 556 suppressor on my Colt M16 and on my Fuller AKS-74U. The can works on both and is very robustly built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=texEzvXnmdk

Let me know if you have any questions.

Eurodriver
12-17-11, 17:15
Whats all that white stuff in the video? And why are you in a jacket?

Excellent video, I really enjoyed it.

Best wishes from sunny Florida

MCS
12-17-11, 17:21

Same here from Tampa bay.

Eurodriver
12-17-11, 17:31
Same here from Tampa bay.

Thats where I'm at too.

I wonder how that suppressor would sound in our 80 degree temps. Probably alot quieter. :D

SteveL
12-17-11, 17:31
Interesting video. Thanks for posting.

SteveL
12-17-11, 17:34
Thats where I'm at too.

I wonder how that suppressor would sound in our 80 degree temps. Probably alot quieter. :D

LOL

I'm up here in Jacksonville. It dropped into the low 70s today. :D

JeepDriver
12-17-11, 17:53
I like the msrp on the suppressor as well as the versatility.

MilitaryArms
12-17-11, 19:47

That is the ass of the midwest. We either have hot/humid summers with itch weed and mosquitoes or ample doses of the white powdery stuff in the winter. I'll take the snow. If it's 40 degrees outside, that's t-shirt and shorts weather for me. :)

SteveL
12-17-11, 20:18
Any idea what the rebuild parts are going to cost? Can the end user buy the parts as a rebuild kit, or would you have to return the can to the manufacturer?

MilitaryArms
12-17-11, 20:25
Any idea what the rebuild parts are going to cost? Can the end user buy the parts as a rebuild kit, or would you have to return the can to the manufacturer?

I can't comment on the parts cost just yet, but what I've been told (and I think Jahred says in the video) is that if you need parts "they will send them out to you". But I'll see if I can't get clarification. I know on the baffles they would likely want the damaged ones back before they sent you replacements.

SteveL
12-17-11, 20:32
I can't comment on the parts cost just yet, but what I've been told (and I think Jahred says in the video) is that if you need parts "they will send them out to you". But I'll see if I can't get clarification. I know on the baffles they would likely want the damaged ones back before they sent you replacements.

Fair enough. Thanks for the response. I look forward to seeing more of this suppressor.

I'm also curious if you know which muzzle devices the QD adapters will be made available for?

Iraqgunz
12-17-11, 23:43
That's interesting. It's my understanding that the components of a suppressor in the eyes of the BATFE are also considered a suppressor which is why a certain company couldn't send me a simple spring for my suppressor.

deadlyfire
12-17-11, 23:59
That's interesting. It's my understanding that the components of a suppressor in the eyes of the BATFE are also considered a suppressor which is why a certain company couldn't send me a simple spring for my suppressor.

:blink: This is most definitely the law. Correct me if I am wrong but this is the same reason most american suppressor companies will make their cans with a larger bore than need be to ensure a lesser chance of baffle strikes. The whole individual parts issue with the ATF,so repair isn't an option.

MilitaryArms
12-18-11, 08:34

Well, I was totally mistaken and you are correct. I emailed Jarhed and he told me that to replace the baffles they will in fact need you to send the can to them and they will do it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Iraqgunz
12-18-11, 13:12
No worries. It's just good to stop misinformation like this before it runs rampant.

Well, I was totally mistaken and you are correct. I emailed Jarhed and he told me that to replace the baffles they will in fact need you to send the can to them and they will do it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

koiphish
12-18-11, 13:32
Do you have any info on which QD mounts it is going to use? Specifically, is it compatible with the Gemtech G5 QD?

exd3686
12-21-11, 19:34
I've been checking these out since they hit the web. Everything is great...size, weight, user-servicable, multi-mounts, blast chamber serialized, etc..... But no published sound reduction????? I know even when the tests are very scientific, they are still very subjective, but I'd be interested in how the Kestrel 556 stands up to the AAC M4-2000, GemTech Halo, and others compared to sound reduction. Any ideas?

SteveL
12-21-11, 19:38
I still don't see this suppressor listed on the Huntertown Arms website. Is it not there or am I overlooking it somehow?

MilitaryArms
12-21-11, 20:29
I'm sure they will publish the performance data when it's released.

The guys at Huntertown Arms posted today on my board they are offering a pre-order discount through 12/31. Info here:

http://www.militaryarmschannel.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=388&start=10

I've placed an order for the 556 myself and will post more info when I get my production copy. I should have more info just after the first of the year.

The cans haven't formally released yet, that's why it's not listed on their website I suspect.

I have one of their .22 Guardian cans and love it. It's very well made and it's nice being able to break the can down and drop the parts in the sonic cleaner.

eodinert
12-21-11, 21:24
Suppressor testing is challenging to do correctly. Done incorrectly, the numbers are meaningless.

Listen to some some industry standard cans side by side with the new can to make a decision.