PDA

View Full Version : Chef Alton Brown's FN SCAR 17(?)

CLHC
12-17-11, 21:04
Saw this elsewhere on the internet.

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/AltonBrown.jpg

I guess he's not only into cooking and knives?

dudley2112
12-17-11, 23:01
damn, love his show already, this just makes it that much better... thing looks pretty heavy

Brimstone
12-17-11, 23:14
Very cool. He is even wearing a paracord bracelet. I would never have guessed he was a gun guy.

ssracer
12-17-11, 23:21
Very cool. One of the few cooking shows that I love to watch...awesome that he's a gun guy...never would have thought

96 SS
12-17-11, 23:22
damn, love his show already, this just makes it that much better... thing looks pretty heavy

+1 Who knew.

Dionysusigma
12-17-11, 23:30
Met him about a month or so back - he'd flown into the airport I work at in probably the most innocuous plane I've ever seen a celebrity use, a Cessna 421. I didn't even recognize him as he helped the pilots do preflight, and only once he spoke to the fueler did I place who he was. Thanked him for teaching me a bunch about cooking. Decent guy.

Although that's quite a bit of stuff to hang off a "heavy carbine," in my opinion...

dirt_diver
12-17-11, 23:42
This is very cool. He just went up in my book, even though I did like his work before.

Vgex2
12-17-11, 23:48
No frickin' way. Never would have thought.

obucina
12-18-11, 00:06
and i thought his pepper crusted filet mignon recipe was good. he just topped my homey, Flay!

train of abuses
12-18-11, 00:27
I have never watched his show before, but I am going to start!

Dave_M
12-18-11, 00:31
A VFG and a bipod? Oh Alton.. you should give me cooking advice and I'll give you accessory advice....

Sounds like a fair trade to me :D

But seriously, other than that it seems okay (and I would probably replace the PWS muzzle device). I like the offset micro, been running something similar on one of my AR's for a couple years now.

I like how his shows are science based combined with practical advice.

One of my good friends is a corporate chef for a large restaurant chain and is also a gun guy. Always good to be able to call someone up about cooking and then BS/discuss/argue about guns too (he knows more about cooking and I know more about guns, keeps the conversation fun, haha)

Fail-Safe
12-18-11, 01:08
He's very pro-gun, and been that way for years. He carries concealed when he does road trips(where legal). In fact if you watch the road trip shows he does you can see his gun when he gets off his bike. I know he loves his Glocks, 1911, Benchmades, and bikes.

In2Deep
12-18-11, 01:57
That looks like the range at MCBH Kaneohe. I could be wrong, but it sure looks familiar.

I dont think that's his personal stick.

Eurodriver
12-18-11, 05:18
That looks like the range at MCBH Kaneohe. I could be wrong, but it sure looks familiar.

It is.

Palmguy
12-18-11, 06:55
Pretty cool...I wouldn't have guessed.

OldState
12-18-11, 07:17
I have been a fan of his for years but always had a suspicion he may be a lefty. I guess not. After all his show is all about applying science and logic to cooking; not common traits among liberals.

He is also a big watch guy. Every episode he seems to be wearing a different classic watch. I estimate he must own $70K in watches.....at least. A lot of watch guys are gun guys too in noticed.

Animal_Mother556
12-18-11, 07:37
His show is the friggin bees knees. Absolutely love Alton. I would love to shoot with him sometime. From what I have heard he is a really nice guy.

Animal_Mother556
12-18-11, 07:38
It is.

"It is" his stick?

Or "It is" that range?

Animal_Mother556
12-18-11, 07:45
A quick google search turned this up. A person on the hkpro forum posted that Alton tweeted this on 12-9-11 --

"Personal goal for the day: go to range and run 500 rnds through H&K P30. Stay frosty people."

halo2304
12-18-11, 07:45
Or is it every gun guy is into watches too?! Ehh! ;)

As has been said by more than a few, I NEVER would've guessed! I loved his show becuase of the logic/science behind cooking and also the jokes and humor. Like when he explained how to de-bone a chicken using a wooden T-rex skeleton model.

Animal_Mother556
12-18-11, 07:49
On the contrary, I am not surprised by this at all. IIRC he is southern and I know (or I have heard, rather) that he is pretty conservative.

I know that doesn't automatically mean he should be a gun guy, but it seems to make it more likely.

J-Dub
12-18-11, 08:22
I have watched Good Eats for years, watch Iron Chef America and the contest show. This is just icing on the cake...

Now i'm a "huger" fan...

train of abuses
12-18-11, 09:46
Excuse me for being ignorant, but I don't really watch much tv. What tv shows does he appear on? He also sounds far beyond the average gun guy if he has a HK P30 and a SCAR 17!

kartoffel
12-18-11, 10:22
How cool is that! More reason to like Alton Brown. I had heard that long ago he used to work as a roadie or sound engineer or something for the band REM, too.

DJK
12-18-11, 10:22
Excuse me for being ignorant, but I don't really watch much tv. What tv shows does he appear on? He also sounds far beyond the average gun guy if he has a HK P30 and a SCAR 17!

He has his own long running show on the Food Network called "Good Eats" and he is the commentator on "Iron Chef America" and "The Next Iron Chef. He also rides a BMW motorcycle and has done a few special series touring and eating his way across the country.

just a scout
12-18-11, 10:36
I already thought he was great. He just moved into the awesome category.

Eurodriver
12-18-11, 11:22
"It is" his stick?

Or "It is" that range?

Both.

CLHC
12-18-11, 15:48

More perusing on the InformationSuperHighWay turned up that AB was there in Hawaii during that same time frame filming one of his shows. He gave thanks to the "Marine Base Hawaii for their amazing hospitality."

He also stated "with a Zeiss scope," when asked about his FN SCAR 17.

riflemen14
12-18-11, 17:22
Total freak'in sweet. Great show with an even more awesome guy.

kartoffel
12-18-11, 17:24
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/AltonBrown.jpg

Just noticed he's got his pants cuff rolled up on the crip side. :jester:

JPB
12-18-11, 21:01
I believe that he is a physicist too. You gotta be a gun guy if you're a physicist. The best classical physics instruction tool ever devised.

Jellybean
12-18-11, 23:13
Well, I'll be damned.
Between this, and the Chairman being a freakin' samurai/ninja I may have to re-evaluate my opinion of the food network....:D

m03
01-01-12, 05:11
Or is it every gun guy is into watches too?! Ehh! ;)

Seems that way where I am. I focused on that before I ever got a good look at the rifle.

KalashniKEV
01-01-12, 14:02
Seems that way where I am. I focused on that before I ever got a good look at the rifle.

I'm somewhat of a watch guy, but can't make out his timepiece...

What is it?

Captiva
01-22-12, 18:32
That's a Breitling. Either an Airwolf, Aerospace, or B-1

just a scout
01-22-12, 18:47
From Wiki:
Early life

Brown was born in Los Angeles, California, United States. He was in the Boy Scouts.[3] He received a degree in drama from the University of Georgia. He began his career in cinematography and film production.
In the late 1980s and early 1990s, he was the cinematographer for several music videos, including The One I Love by R.E.M.. [4]
[edit]Career

Brown notes that he was dissatisfied with the quality of cooking shows airing on American television, so he set out to produce his own show. In preparation, he enrolled in the New England Culinary Institute, graduating in 1997.[5][6] Brown says that he was a poor science student in high school and college, but he focused on the subject to understand the underlying processes of cooking.
Brown was a contributor to the 2005 cookbook Food Network Favorites: Recipes from Our All-Star Chefs. He selected the nonprofit world hunger organization Heifer International to receive a portion of the royalties.
Commercials
Brown has done commercial work for General Electric (GE) products,[10] including five infomercials touting the benefits of GE refrigerators, washers and dryers, water purifiers, Trivection ovens, and dishwashers.[11] The infomercials are produced in the Good Eats style, employing the use of unusual camera angles, informational text, props, visual aids, scientific explanations, and the same method of delivery. These informercials are distributed to wholesale distributors of appliances/plumbing devices.
Brown has also aided GE in developing a new type of oven. He was initially called by GE to help their engineers learn more about the effects of heat on food;[12] that grew into an active cooperation to develop GE's Trivection oven.[13]
Brown has also done promotion for Dannon yogurt, Welch's grape juice, Shun knives, and most recently for Heifer International.
In 2010, he endorsed salt use in a campaign for Cargill.[14]
[edit]Personal life

Brown lives in Marietta, Georgia, with his wife DeAnna, his daughter Zoey (born in 1999), two Cardigan corgis, and a green iguana named Spike, although he claims to have disposed of a nasty lizard in a Good Eats episode.[15] A few members of his extended family have appeared on Good Eats (such as his late grandmother, Ma Mae, his mother, and daughter, Zoey, who is known on the show as "Alton's Spawn"), but most of his "family" portrayed on the series is made up of actors and the show's production crew.[16][17][18][19] DeAnna Brown is the co-executive producer of Good Eats but only appears on the tenth anniversary episode along with Zoey. Brown also portrays his frequently arrested evil twin brother "B.A." On the DVD release of the episode "American Pickle", Brown notes that many viewers ask him what his brother does for a living, suggesting that they are unaware that B.A. is simply the result of clever editing.
Brown is a motorcycling enthusiast, owning a BMW R1150RT.[13] Brown is a pilot, and was featured in the aviation magazine AOPA Flight Training.[20] He completed his first solo flight on June 25, 2007, and earned his private pilot certificate on June 5, 2008. He owns two planes, a Cessna 206 and a Cessna 414.[21]
Brown has at least two tattoos, a honeybee on his left shoulder (shown on Iron Chef America), and a skull with a crossed knife and fork with the inscription "MMVII" (Roman numerals for the year 2007) that he got during the filming of Feasting on Asphalt.
Brown changed his eating habits in 2009 in order to lose weight and become healthier, losing 50 pounds (23 kg) over the course of nine months. He announced his weight loss and described the details of eating from the four basic lists without going on a typical diet on the January 4, 2010 episode "Live and Let Diet" of Good Eats.[22] His first list, which he eats from daily, includes fruits, whole grains, leafy greens, nuts, carrots, and green tea. His second list, which he eats from at least three times per week, includes oily fish, yogurt, broccoli, sweet potato, and avocado. His third list, which he eats from no more than once per week, includes red meat, pasta, dessert, and alcohol. His fourth list includes foods he avoids: fast food, soda, processed meals (such as TV dinners), canned soups (salt), and anything labeled "diet," because "this was not a diet."
Brown is a Christian. Brown says, "I'm not a spooky snake handler because I live in Georgia and I'm Christian, that I believe in the Bible, that I travel with the Bible, that I read the Bible everyday. I'm still me. I'm still a guy doing a job. I find, actually, that people ask me a lot about it. I don't hit people over the head with the Bible ... I still feel a funny little tinge in my stomach when I'm out to dinner with my wife and daughter in New York. We'll go to dinner and we'll be sitting around the table and we'll say Grace. You know what? People are going to stare at you. I used to feel really self-conscious. But I've gotten to a point where I think, nah, I'm not going to feel bad about that. I'm not going to apologize about that." [23]