PDA

View Full Version : Can you fire 5.56 through a 9mm suppressor?

jc75754
12-18-11, 08:48
Title says it all. sorry if this is an ignorant question. I have really began to consider a suppressor due to several visits by the Sheriff. I have a crazy neighbor who has called and said that I was shooting. I am outside city limits so the Sheriff cannot do anything and I am firing in a safe manner. Just thought there may be some multi cal suppressors to be courteous. Or will it go kaboom?

Reagans Rascals
12-18-11, 09:06
depends on how well the construction of the suppressor is... rifle caliber rounds produce tremendously more pressure and blast force upon the baffles than a pistol caliber. But that aside, if its a really well constructed suppressor you would be ok.

Now the other, more noticeable issue will be the sound reduction performance.

A 9mm suppressor will have a through hole diameter of probably around .40-.43 of an inch.

Whereas a 5.56 suppressor will have a through hole diameter of roughly around .228 of an inch. That's a considerable difference.

And as such, you will not have the same sound reduction from a 9mm suppressor shooting 5.56 as you would a dedicated 5.56 suppressor... It will be significantly louder...

It will work, but it may not be what you are looking for... if that helps

You would be much wiser to go with a 762 suppressor, such as an AAC 726-SDN-6

But if you are set on 9mm, I believe SilencerCo makes one called the Osprey that is capable of multi-caliber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qkJxXmvj6w

all measurements listed are simply used for illustration and may in fact differ from actual measurements... they are used here for general estimation

warpigM-4
12-18-11, 09:24
I lived in a place before and had the neighbor Problem calling the Sheriff .

I asked him to come down and shoot with me one day and it stopped.although he did not come down all the time
I did agree to let him know so he could be ready for it and it not scary the hell out of him .:sarcastic:

Once he saw I was shooting into a safe area and the sheriff told him I was doing nothing wrong as long as I did not shoot after sundown 'there was nothing he was going to do about it .

Funny story the first time the Sheriff showed up He shot My AK-47 he had always wanted to.:laugh:

I would be careful shooting a 9mm suppressor with anything But a 9mm .
it might not handle the pressure and Jack the baffles up.as stated depends on the builder . it is a pain in the but when this happens though

jc75754
12-18-11, 10:50
I have actually tried to let the lady know in advance when I am going to shoot and she responds with “you cant do that it is too loud and it scares my cats.” I shoot my 9mm more than my M4 so I thought I might could get one to pull double duty. I do understand that the 9mm will be much quieter than the 5.56 but will there be a significant reduction in sound when using subsonic rounds. Also does anyone know if DD threads are concentric.

The sheriff deputy that has been coming is very polite and we usually talk for a few minutes and I think he is tired of the crazy old lady.

rjacobs
12-18-11, 10:57
I would NOT shoot rifle ammo through a pistol can.

warpigM-4
12-18-11, 11:16
well it truly Sucks she is acting that way ,But the Sheriffs will only put up with her calls for a little while and tell her you have your right to shoot and stop sending them out .

as it cost them money and time when real pressing matters are more important Than that " lady and her cats"(they will Label her :lol:) being scared By you shooting.you can't please everyone and sometimes you just have to not worry about it .

I was lucky that My neighbor Understood and was thankful I took the time to let him Know and he even brought his grandson down one day to show me the 22 rifle His granddad Bought him.and asked if they could shoot on my property because i had a Homemade range.
some people get it,some don't .just keep the brass flying

Reagans Rascals
12-18-11, 11:39
I have actually tried to let the lady know in advance when I am going to shoot and she responds with “you cant do that it is too loud and it scares my cats.” I shoot my 9mm more than my M4 so I thought I might could get one to pull double duty. I do understand that the 9mm will be much quieter than the 5.56 but will there be a significant reduction in sound when using subsonic rounds. Also does anyone know if DD threads are concentric.

The sheriff deputy that has been coming is very polite and we usually talk for a few minutes and I think he is tired of the crazy old lady.

I would venture to say that DD threads are concentric. They are usually pretty stringent with their QC.

There will be a significant reduction in muzzle report when using subsonic rounds, as in the sonic crack of the projectile, with both rifle and pistol rounds, however.... using subsonic 5.56 rounds within the M4 lends itself to short stroking and undergassing issues resulting in BOB and other types of malfunctions. The weapon will more than likely require manual cycling with each round. Unless you are running a switch block type of setup or the weapon is setup for such...

I'd take the woman over to the house and show her where and how you have been shooting, and that it is indeed safe, I would then explain that you are well within the law doing such, and then I would explain why dogs are preferred over cats, and that she should perhaps spend the $1000 you would have to fork out on a suppressor, on getting rid of those stupid cats and getting a dog....

there's a reason dogs are known as mans best friend... and cats are known as pussies....

fixit69
12-18-11, 11:46
I would not fire a rifle round through a pistol can.

But I feel your pain. Long story short, my small town in incorporated so now we can't shoot in the city limits. At least not much.

North
12-18-11, 12:04
Yes, you can shoot a .223 round THROUGH a 9mm supressor. Will it work effectively, more than likely not. Will the supressor take the .223 charge? Not safety, depending on the supressor and material used to make it. But there is my true question for you. Would you be willing to take the chance to **** your can up to see? Supressors around my neck of the woods tend to cost roughly a grand. I couldn't justify possibly screwing up $1000 worth of my money plus the paperwork of owning one. Tell the sherrif to come shoot with you, or tell your neighbor to kiss your ass. There is no law your breaking.

Koshinn
12-18-11, 13:16
getting rid of those stupid cats and getting a dog....

there's a reason dogs are known as mans best friend... and cats are known as pussies....
In Hawaii, the Kokohead public gun range has like a dozen cats that sit next to you as you shoot, or chase chickens a few yards away. They don't care about a little gunfire. They're also deaf now, so they should have cared, LOL. In comparison, my golden retrievers go insane on the 4th of July and New Years. Just sayin.

And on topic, suppressor manufacturers do not recommend center fire rifle calibers out of a pistol suppressor unless subsonic. Iirc, AAC allows 300blk subsonic through 9mm suppressors. But 556? At subsonic speeds, why not just use .22lr? No fragmentation, probably no expansion, so both leave a .22 inch hole in things.

wahoo95
12-18-11, 13:48
Liberty Mystic would fill your needs

jc75754
12-18-11, 14:10
The crazy lady really isnt a problem, she just really mede me decide that I need (want) a suppressor. I think the 9mm/5.56 can was whishfull thinking. I really understand now why i dont want to do that now after some more research. Next problem. 5.56 suppressors are crazy expensive for a high school history teacher. I still want a suppressor that will work with a .22lr/.270/5.56. So i assume if i shoot .22lr it needs to have a removable endcap. So what could I get if i have around $550 not including a tax stamp?

discreet
12-18-11, 18:14

Guess you have never owned a cat before. That's actually pretty ignorant to say. I have many cats on the land, and shoot regularly, and the cats are neither afraid, or act like "pussies". In fact, I've owned, and known people with many cats who are less pussy than many dogs.

IMO the stereotypes of stuff regarding a convo about guns is a bad thing. IMO it just creates the illusion of this being correct, rather than how it really is.

As for the OPS neighbor, I think literally everyone of us at one point has had a neighbor like this at some point in time. Just ignore it, as feeding into it by communicating with her will just intensify the ordeal. Just go on your own biz, and let her go on her own biz. After awhile it will get so bad the cops won't listen to her what so ever, and sadly, can even backfire if she is ever robbed etc on her. Some people will never learn, and it's up to them to change, not for someone else to change them. As to her cats, she needs to deal with it. Cats are more humanlike at times than dogs are, and after time goes on, the cats will become immune to the sound of guns. IE problem solved.

At least you have had a chance to talk to some local LE, as now they know you are the "good guy" who does stuff safe. This IMO will go along way. It's always best to remain on the LEO's good side by showing you are doing things safe. Heck, maybe one day you might even get invited to go to the local LEO range with some of them and fire away with some cool guns. Kind of a win win with this situation.

jc75754
12-18-11, 18:57
My dog used to be afraid of the noise but now she loves to go with me to set up targets and squirrel hunting. Go figure 7lb poodle likes to hunt and will fight any dog and has a scar above her eye to prove it.

I think the Officers know the situation I have already spoken with the SRO at my school and she has advised other officers of the situation. Her grandson is a bit of a dick who has hunted on my property downrange of my targets. Being deer season I think that is why it has become such a problem. That and I killed an 11 and an 8 on my property where he was hunting. This guy also along with his mom or grandmother or whatever she is i think have had legal problems in the past.

This whole situation just made me think about how benifical it would be to have a one can fits all model.

Seems like best i can do is a 7.62.

ST911
12-18-11, 19:21
Contact the manufacturer of the suppressor(s) you own, or are considering buying. Ask what they think of the practice, and if they will warranty the can when doing so.

jc75754
12-18-11, 19:25
I am looking a buying a suppressor, and I am on a very limited budget so i am looking for the most use out of one.

wesprt
12-18-11, 22:22
I doubt it would explode first off, but it would destroy your blast baffle in short order and **** your can up. Especially if you have a can with aluminum guts. Firing a boostered/piston can like most 9mm cans on a fixed barrel will **** them up as well.

Don't do it.

dpaqu
12-20-11, 21:14
Meh. It's a matter of pressure and heat at the muzzle. I bet on a 24" .223 even aluminum cans would be ok. Rapid fire on a 16" gun might not be a good idea.

If you find a stainless FA SBR subgun can I highly doubt slowfire out of a 20" ar would hurt it.

scottryan
12-20-11, 22:08
Title says it all. sorry if this is an ignorant question. I have really began to consider a suppressor due to several visits by the Sheriff. I have a crazy neighbor who has called and said that I was shooting. I am outside city limits so the Sheriff cannot do anything and I am firing in a safe manner. Just thought there may be some multi cal suppressors to be courteous. Or will it go kaboom?

Why do you think they make both 5.56 and 9mm silencers?

KalashniKEV
12-21-11, 15:35
I don't even think I would shoot 5.7x28mm out of a 9mm suppressor.

wahoo95
12-21-11, 15:47
I am looking a buying a suppressor, and I am on a very limited budget so i am looking for the most use out of one.

Liberty Mystic is the only can rated for your needs.

jc75754
12-21-11, 18:50
Why do you think they make both 5.56 and 9mm silencers?

For that specific caliber. What i was thinking was you could get a larger suppressor and then fire smaller bullets through it.

triharder72
12-21-11, 19:13
I am looking for a can for 9mm, 223, 308 and 300BLK and the Mystic is the only one I have found. I have confirmed the application with Liberty. Couple of caveats, 223 must be 16" and slow fire, 308 must be subs. I havent placed my order yet, but I havent seen a better bang for the buck (no pun intended).

sandsunsurf
12-24-11, 20:27
If you need it to work all the way up to .270, you're cheapest bet would be a YHM 7.62 QD. The YHM QD mounts are cheaper than other manufacturers, and you need one for each gun you're going to use the can on.

But if you really want to keep costs low, a threaded YHM 5.56 would be the cheapest for your .223 and 5.56 guns, with no added cost of QD flashhiders. But no .270.

I'd say save up and get the can you want- I consider them a buy-and-keep forever item, so buy the best. Also, once you have one, I suspect you'll be hooked like the rest of us!

sandsunsurf
12-25-11, 10:33
Upon reflection, the .270 may be too high of pressure for a .308 can. Better ask the manufacturer before choosing.

prdubi
12-25-11, 11:02
there are people that have been down this road of finding one can to rule them all, in the end, you will never get the quality or match or equally to a can dedicated to the caliber at hand.

I've BTDT and did my homework and you lose quality when you are dealing with quantity.

My recommendation is that if you really really want a one can to rule them all them by all means go for the 308 or something in that manner and have it overbored.

There are people that have did the TRIPLE XXX warrior .223 rifle can and had it overbored for 9mm and it is a big can so people have gotten away with it but it is sure ackward.

Marines42
12-26-11, 14:40
The short answer is "No" or I wouldn't suggest doing so. I would have no problem shooting a "smaller" caliber out of it though. the pressure and heat will destroy it quickly. Especially an aluminum one as others have stated.

jc75754
12-27-11, 09:45
I think that i will go with the Liberty mystic. Just going to save my coaches bonus check for a few years and hold off on any gun buys.

Thanks again for shareing your wealth of knowledge.

Justin

Fireman1291
12-29-11, 07:09
Liberty mystic is really the only answer for you. Any other 9mm pistol can will grenade in your face if you tried it.:eek:

Or just buy a silencer for each caliber you own.:lol: