PDA

View Full Version : Coonan .357

duece71
12-18-11, 17:45
After reading a magazine article...yes I know, be careful of those magazine articles, on the Coonan .357, my interest has increased. The gun would be just to have, more for the range and not for anything serious such as HD. I would definately shoot it more than my S&W mod 19. Anything to consider with this pistol?

mkmckinley
12-20-11, 07:59
My main consideration would be the availability of spare parts or even people who can work on them.

loupav
12-20-11, 09:12
Looks like a fun "novelty" toy. I'd love to shoot one. But I think you're better off getting a 1911 in .45, or a Smith Revolver if you want to shoot .357.

ErikL
12-20-11, 18:30
They are fun to shoot, well built, soft recoiling, accurate, and the idea of a 357 auto loader is just damn cool. Not sure how they hold up to high round counts so I cant help you out there, but Coonan always had parts listed with the exception of magazines even when he wasn't producing firearms. Getting a new gun might be a problem, even though they are supposedly making them I haven't seen one in the wild.

Alaskapopo
12-21-11, 05:39
They are fun to shoot, well built, soft recoiling, accurate, and the idea of a 357 auto loader is just damn cool. Not sure how they hold up to high round counts so I cant help you out there, but Coonan always had parts listed with the exception of magazines even when he wasn't producing firearms. Getting a new gun might be a problem, even though they are supposedly making them I haven't seen one in the wild.

Its not that efficeint. You have an 8 round gun. Get a 10mm, 357 sig or a 38 super (handloaded) if you want 357 magnum power in an auto.
Pat

ErikL
12-21-11, 10:08
Its not that efficeint. You have an 8 round gun. Get a 10mm, 357 sig or a 38 super (handloaded) if you want 357 magnum power in an auto.
Pat

I think he said he wanted it for more of a range toy...but since you brought it up, power wise the 357 with hand-loads will outpace those calibers mentioned even if they are hand loaded as well. The exception being the 200+gr loads in the 10mm, as you cant load load bullets that long in the 357. The 38spcl and 357sig are anemic in comparison to full house 357 mag loadings.

As far as efficiency because you have more rounds, I guess i never looked at as having more rounds in the gun as being more efficient but maybe I should as I do think about efficient reloads. But it is a range toy so not sure that's a concern.

personally I do prefer a g20 and m29 of off pavement adventures

Alaskapopo
12-21-11, 13:59
I think he said he wanted it for more of a range toy...but since you brought it up, power wise the 357 with hand-loads will outpace those calibers mentioned even if they are hand loaded as well. The exception being the 200+gr loads in the 10mm, as you cant load load bullets that long in the 357. The 38spcl and 357sig are anemic in comparison to full house 357 mag loadings.

As far as efficiency because you have more rounds, I guess i never looked at as having more rounds in the gun as being more efficient but maybe I should as I do think about efficient reloads. But it is a range toy so not sure that's a concern.

personally I do prefer a g20 and m29 of off pavement adventures

The 10mm and the 357 mag when loaded to the max are pretty much equal. The 38 super when handloaded in a gun that can take it is no slouch. My open gun in 38 super comp has pushed 124 grain bullets at 1450 before. The point being there are far better choices in an auto than the 357 magnum. Its case does not lend itself to feeding well in an auto. Nothing wrong with it as a range toy as you said. But for any real world application there are better choices.
Pat

duece71
12-21-11, 23:41
All,
Thank you for the replies. I am interested in a Coonan .357 just for a range toy, NOT for SD/HD or any hunting applications. I agree however on parts availability and spare mags. I'll look around some more and see what is available.
Thanks again.

duece71
12-22-11, 00:10
From the website, spare mags are $60 a piece. Barrels are $140 and will not fit current production pistols. Seems like it could be an expensive range toy.

halo2304
12-22-11, 00:34
Seems like it could be an expensive range toy.

It seems the fun ones often are. I've got an MKE SP89 clone that is damn fun, accurate and reliable but not really good for anything other than making empties. Having over $1k tied up in it is the price I have to pay for a gun I've always wanted. Que sera, sera! :alcoholic:

duece71
01-04-12, 22:48
After doing some more research, I have decided to pick one up. What the heck, you only live once......unless you are James Bond or a cat.

mkmckinley
01-05-12, 02:24
Right on, you gotta do a review when you get some range time with it.

duece71
01-05-12, 09:12
Will do. I am going to order it this week. The Coonan website says they are backlogged 8-12 weeks for pistol delivery.

REDinFL
01-06-12, 08:36
I thought about one for a while. Didn't buy one. The only positive I can come up with is "cool toy".

Otherwise:

1. Grossly overpriced.

2. Availability of parts. Even if Coonan offers parts, will that always be so? If not, then what? Look at any other major website - Midway, CTD, and others - you can get more 1911 or Glock parts than you can shake a stick at. Also, a local dealer if you need something.

3. The cartridge is not conducive to autoloader operation. Coonan should be commended (as well as Desert Eagle) for getting it to work at all.

As far as the efficiency argument is concerned, one can buy an 8 round .357 revolver.

For the range, one can put together a really good 1911 for less. And, have more parts and more fun fiddling with different combinations.

jh9
01-06-12, 10:06
Coonan has been building these things since the mid 1990s. Probably not continuous production, but it's not a new design. I don't think getting enough support to keep a range toy going is going to be difficult.

loupav
01-07-12, 16:11
Well hey if it makes you happy, rock on! Please post pics of your new toy and congrats.

duece71
01-07-12, 18:34
I thought about one for a while. Didn't buy one. The only positive I can come up with is "cool toy".

Otherwise:

1. Grossly overpriced.

2. Availability of parts. Even if Coonan offers parts, will that always be so? If not, then what? Look at any other major website - Midway, CTD, and others - you can get more 1911 or Glock parts than you can shake a stick at. Also, a local dealer if you need something.

3. The cartridge is not conducive to autoloader operation. Coonan should be commended (as well as Desert Eagle) for getting it to work at all.

As far as the efficiency argument is concerned, one can buy an 8 round .357 revolver.

For the range, one can put together a really good 1911 for less. And, have more parts and more fun fiddling with different combinations.

Coonan does advertise that the Coonan .357 has some parts interchangability with the 1911. There is a list on their website. I am not basing my decision on that alone nor am I planning on using 1911 parts on the Coonan. It is going to be range toy and thats about it. I will post picks and do a range report when it arrives/I have the time.

CDR_Glock
07-08-12, 15:24
I acquired a second generation model. It is a fun pistol to shoot. It's accurate for me.