PDA

View Full Version : New GSD puppy

MAUSER202
12-18-11, 18:53
Our old dog had to be put down this past summer, she was 17. wife and I finally agreed to get a new puppy. He his 8wks old, and very smart. Both parents are German imports.

montanadave
12-18-11, 19:11
Holy smokes, is that little guy cute!

Can't think of a nicer Christmas present for you and your wife.

Congrats. It's a puppy! :dance3:

Mark71
12-18-11, 23:27
Great looking puppy. Congrats!

Norinco
12-18-11, 23:34
What a face. Congratulations on the new family member!

Honu
12-19-11, 01:18
Cute pup :) congrats

Going to have to show my little girl :)

Moose-Knuckle
12-19-11, 03:15
I'm envious!

VooDoo6Actual
12-19-11, 07:27
Congrats on the family's new best friend and loyal/vigilant sentry !

Alex V
12-19-11, 07:33
I WANT ONE!

Right now we just have my fiance's tea cup Pomeranian lol

Sensei
12-19-11, 10:04
I have a female GSD and a male Great Dane. Both are smart and imposing, but that is about all they have in common. My GSD requires a lot of exercise while our Dane is a couch potatoe (I wish that I could maintain 185 lbs of lean muscle with only a 30 min walk every day).

BTW, invest in a Furminator Brush to keep the shedding to a minimum.

bp7178
12-19-11, 12:07
+1 on the Furminator.

Any of the working dog breads need lots of excercise. Wolves out in nature can cover hundres of miles. A 30 min walk is a tease.

I always took my old male shepard running with me. The difference in his level of calm on days we went running to days we didn't was huge.

The GSDs make great pets, very strong pack instincts and good food habits. Very very rarely do you see a fat GSD. Kind of the polar opposite of labs.

The ones from German lines look like linebackers, square in the hips typically shorter than the American ones, but usually heavier.

Amazing dogs.

Take care of that boy and get him used to the leash early, or your shoes and other belongings will pay the price!

CarlosDJackal
12-19-11, 12:54
I love GSD puppies. If they didn't shed so much I'd have at least two of my own.

SeriousStudent
12-19-11, 15:39
He's such a cute little guy! :)

My bigger dog is a GSD/Retriever mix. He's a rescue dog, like all the ones I have ever had. He's very active and fun, and does need a brushing out every day.

And a big plus one on the walks. It's been great for both of us. This old man gets his exercise, and my boy gets the fun of chasing rabbits.

Thanks for the pictures. Dogs and kids always make my day.

sgtjosh
12-19-11, 15:43
Our old dog had to be put down this past summer, she was 17. wife and I finally agreed to get a new puppy. He his 8wks old, and very smart. Both parents are German imports.

The force is strong in this one.

SteyrAUG
12-19-11, 20:40
Cute pup.

You know why puppies are cute right? It's so you don't kill them for all the crap they are gonna pull while they are a puppy.

:D

MAUSER202
12-19-11, 21:34
Cute pup.

You know why puppies are cute right? It's so you don't kill them for all the crap they are gonna pull while they are a puppy.

:D

LOL! Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

PdxMotoxer
12-19-11, 22:12
Sorry about your and your family's loss.

VERY cute little handful you got there!!!
(take pic's and lots of them!! they grow sooooo fast)

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y99/PdxMotoXer/LittleMissyGrowing.jpg
Top pic july 2010 11 weeks old 24lbs
Bottom july 2011 65lbs

Congrats to you and your family!!

Littlelebowski
12-19-11, 22:19
I love GSD puppies. If they didn't shed so much I'd have at least two of my own.

Answer: Belgian Malinois.

jhs1969
12-19-11, 22:55
I love GSDs more than anything, I've never known such devotion before. Here is my Angel

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p427/jhs1969/DSC01217.jpg

bp7178
12-19-11, 23:19

I was going to type the same thing. Very smart dogs, also have a high drive. They love to be active.

sgtjosh
12-20-11, 02:15

Some people can not handle the neuroses of a Mal. Shepherds are usually better "adjusted." I would not generally recommend a mal for a pet. As you well know, it takes a certain type of owner.

My patrol partner is a Groenendael (a mal with a black paint job and thick double coat.) I also have a Boxer and a Basset Hound. As a result, my household has a host of neurotic issues.

bp7178
12-20-11, 02:37
Interesting, what in particular about the Belgium?

CarlosDJackal
12-20-11, 10:38

I did not know Malinois weren't shedders? Almost a decade ago I worked with Malinois on a Search and Rescue mission. Maggie (I remember the dog's name but not the handler - go figure) about ran me to death.

She was a great dog and maybe once they kick me out of the Army Reserves I will have more free time to devote to one.

Littlelebowski
12-20-11, 12:24
I did not know Malinois weren't shedders? Almost a decade ago I worked with Malinois on a Search and Rescue mission. Maggie (I remember the dog's name but not the handler - go figure) about ran me to death.

She was a great dog and maybe once they kick me out of the Army Reserves I will have more free time to devote to one.

Easily 50% less shedding than a GSD.

Littlelebowski
12-20-11, 12:25
Some people can not handle the neuroses of a Mal. Shepherds are usually better "adjusted." I would not generally recommend a mal for a pet. As you well know, it takes a certain type of owner.

My patrol partner is a Groenendael (a mal with a black paint job and thick double coat.) I also have a Boxer and a Basset Hound. As a result, my household has a host of neurotic issues.

Yup, I wouldn't recommend a Mal to just anyone. I am sure Carlos could handle one though.

PdxMotoxer
12-20-11, 16:14
Yup, I wouldn't recommend a Mal to just anyone. I am sure Carlos could handle one though.

I didn't know the Belgian Malinois were that much more neurotic than a GSD. (and the less shedding is new to me also)

Our neighbor's GSD was pretty neurotic about his frisbee and like our last doberman his feet.

But then again my last doberman at times was more neurotic than Adrian Monk!! (but she was also an awesome search and rescue partner)

I agree 100% with sgtjosh, Not a breed for everyone.
They NEED extra time and extra patience to keep their minds busy.

I think that's true with all of the smartest breeds.
When people ask about my Dobie i make sure to tell them they are NOT "outside" dogs and have very very sensitive feelings (very HIGH maintenance) and all through their life they will challenge you on any and every rule BUT....
With a stern voice and at times a spray water bottle they will behave and live their lives just to make YOU happy.

Remember a tired exercised puppy is a happy puppy (and owner)

Littlelebowski
12-20-11, 17:22
I wasn't trying to imply that they are neurotic but rather extremely energetic and in need a of an understanding Alpha owner, Pdx.

PdxMotoxer
12-21-11, 00:31
gotcha.

i remember our dobie had a thing about licking her feet (until they bled sometimes) and it wasn't aligeries and doing "research" i learned it was common not just in Dobies but also GSD's to obsess over their feet.

everytime i would google or look up anything about her being O.C.D. they also said it was common in G.S.D's so my mind went there. lol

The only two G.S.D's i've known was my neighbor's and he was sooo obsessive over his frisbee they would have to keep it in the cupboard above the fridge.

The other had a ROCK he would carry around the house and sleep with it. (beyond cute) But you had to be careful as he would want to give it to you and if you were not looking a full sized GSD dropping a fist sized rock into your lap was worthy of any America's funnies episodes.

But i got what you meant and i agree that certain breeds are not for everyone.
Some require much more time and even the owner should be trained how to own and care for them.

MAUSER202
12-28-11, 13:01
We have had him for a little over a week now and I am impressed with this pup! He has already learned the following; sit, comes when called, waits to be released from his crate, house broke ( day 5 without an accident ),fetch, and our names. He is loving like any puppy, but also has an independent streak, he will go on his own to sleep in his crate, and doesn't whine at night. We are really blessed with him.

HAMMERDROP
12-28-11, 21:06
Sorry for the loss of your old friend...
Congrats on the new pup your apt to have a great looking dog very soon.
I refrain from calling pups 'cute' after all they have a mouth full of sharp teeth and are ready willing and able to use them.

Michael