PDA

View Full Version : spikes suppressor

sinlessorrow
12-18-11, 23:18
so i know spikes isnt looked highly upon, but i was over on arfcom and saw this

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/211661_time_to_save_my_pennies___suppressor_related__.html

they are claiming 119db out of a 8" barrel?

do yall really think thats possible? i mean no other suppressor ive seen can reduce around 46db out of a 8" barrel, so how did they accomplish it?

markm
12-19-11, 07:50
so i know spikes isnt looked highly upon, but i was over on arfcom and saw this

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_282/211661_time_to_save_my_pennies___suppressor_related__.html

they are claiming 119db out of a 8" barrel?

do yall really think thats possible? i mean no other suppressor ive seen can reduce around 46db out of a 8" barrel, so how did they accomplish it?

Sub sonic ammo? Other than that, completely impossible.

Eurodriver
12-19-11, 08:00
Holy ****, can they get any crazier? Spikes at the end of the suppressor?

And it will only work if you have the M203 cutout? Huh?

And all this for $100 less than the tried and true M4-2000.

Curious: Do they specifically cater to the mall ninja crowd or does the crowd just follow them?

markm
12-19-11, 08:13
Curious: Do they specifically cater to the mall ninja crowd or does the crowd just follow them?

Both.

It's where the money is. God Bless them.... Spikes knows that the vast majority of shooters are mildly retarded from the neck up. :rolleyes:

sinlessorrow
12-19-11, 13:08
Both.

It's where the money is. God Bless them.... Spikes knows that the vast majority of shooters are mildly retarded from the neck up. :rolleyes:

:lol:

the only spikes thing i have is a lower since my local guy had a great deal on it, and i feel an in spec lower is a inspec lower

i just found the db reduction to be a bit suspicios

markm
12-19-11, 13:14
Yeah... a lower is a lower.... when you get into the critical parts... barrels, bolt groups, LPKs, etc.... no time to trust aftermarket stuff.

decodeddiesel
12-19-11, 13:24
And it will only work if you have the M203 cutout? Huh?

I think they are talking about the diameter step found on M4 barrels behind the threads, not the 203 cut...

I don't want to be part of the first 1000 sold, that's for sure.

ETA: I just read their dB reduction claims, and they are quite laughable.

charmcitycop
12-20-11, 15:15

MCS
12-20-11, 15:22
I just can't take a company seriously with a name like spike's and a spider for the logo. I'm sure most of us have thought spike would be a cool nickname to have, but then you turn 13.

:ph34r:

randolph
12-20-11, 16:56
hey Silvers, he's calling you out :p

since there is no standard to test cans by, cant he pretty much say what he wants to ? BS or or not ??

Originally Posted By badazzar15
blah blah blah... Instead of asking why our cans perform so well, you should be asking the other company's why theirs dont. If it didn't work we wouldn't sell it. :-)

SHIVAN
12-20-11, 18:54
I would trust John Titsworth's testing as being objective. Maybe it's not completely objective, but it's more so than any manufacturer I've ever seen.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/

JasonM
12-21-11, 09:08
hey Silvers, he's calling you out :p

since there is no standard to test cans by, cant he pretty much say what he wants to ? BS or or not ??

yes, they CAN say whatever they want, and the mall ninja fans will drool.

But there IS a milspec way to sound test can performance, for apples to apples. There will still be variation day to day, and with ammo, etc.

But to claim a stubby can with 75gr TAP meters quieter than many .22LR cans is just dumb.

The claims of performance, materials, finishes, etc just reek of snake oil.

SHIVAN
12-21-11, 12:35
But there IS a milspec way to sound test can performance, for apples to apples. There will still be variation day to day, and with ammo, etc.

I think the mil standard tests are for determining risk of hearing loss from things like engines, motors, jets, etc -- and that is then applied to firearms as the "mil standard".

Many makers do not adhere to this protocol however.

http://www.silencertalk.com/standards.htm