PDA

View Full Version : Restoring G-G-G-randpa's 1873

QuietShootr
12-19-11, 17:14
I finally sacked up and started disassembling Grandpa's 1873 last night to scrub the decades of accumulated crud out of it.

I think it's going to need a new mainspring, a new firing pin, new mag spring and follower, and possibly a new forend (I managed to SPLIT the old one lengthwise while disassembling it. I also need new sights, since some asshole decided at one point to remove the sights.

Consulting reference manuals, it appears I have a Second Model 1873 with a medium-heavy barrel, of which it appears about 1100 were made.

Here's what I'm thinking - y'all tell me what you think.

1) Restore to firing condition, but don't refinish or do any stock work.

2) Restore to original condition (or something similar). Matte blue, clean up the wood and refinish in some fashion. The gun is drilled for a tang sight, so add the tang sight instead of the traditional buckhorn.

3) This is out there, I know, but I wonder if GGGrandpa might not approve. Replace all parts to make it fully functional (new springs, etc), add something like an Ashley Ghost Ring rear and tritium front, refinish the wood in a dark rubbed oil finish, and refinish all the metal in Black-T or similar, leaving all the original markings intact, of course.

I know 3 is borderline blasphemous by Winchester collector standards - but given the tradition of serious shooters in my family, I bet my ancestor would get a kick out of his rifle being modernized and used on a regular basis.

It's soaking in solvent right now, so I don't have any big incentive to hurry up and do something.

Also - I need a source for 1873 Second Model parts.

ryan
12-19-11, 17:21
#3, If you build it the way you want it you are more likely to carry and shoot it and Grandpa would like that.

Plus, Holy Crap that would be cool.

QuietShootr
12-19-11, 17:27
#3, If you build it the way you want it you are more likely to carry and shoot it and Grandpa would like that.

Plus, Holy Crap that would be cool.

See, that's kind of how I feel too.

From what I can make out in the serial number, it appears it was made sometime in the late 1880s. And that would be some ****ing swagger to have my ancestor's gun made into a modern ****ing killing piece.

ryan
12-19-11, 17:30
Exactly, don't forget pictures :D.

QuietShootr
12-19-11, 17:32
Will do.

The rifling in the barrel appears to be sharp, after being scrubbed out several times.

Mark/MO
12-19-11, 19:19
I helped a friend a few years back get an 1873 back in shooting condition. It to was made in the late 1880’s. I had to get a new firing pin as the old one was missing. I got one from Dixie Gun Works. A few screws were missing which we had to make the magazine tube was slightly deformed and we had to work out some dents and replace the spring. His had a bad bore and after discussing it he decided to have it relined to the original caliber, 38-40. A couple of other small parts were replaced but I can’t recall exactly what ones. I think one was a hammer spring. We left the metal finish as is and simply cleaned the stock and oiled it a bit. Overall it looked pretty good once cleaned up.

Interestingly my friend found this rifle hanging on a nail in the back of an old barn on his property. It appeared to have been there for years, complete with mud dauber nests on the stock. After we got it fixed up he tried to kill a deer with it but it didn’t work out, yet.

subzero
12-19-11, 21:07
I like to think I'm a practical person, but I won't vote for #3. I'm not so sentimental to say leave it at #1 though. I think fixing it up and making it like new again is the ideal route.

I think there's something to be said for having something that connects you to the past. It's a piece from the 1800s. There's no shame in that. In fact, it's quite cool. Let the gun be what it is, instead of forcing it to be something it's not. Think of it like a Model T Ford. Yeah you can put a modern drivetrain and running gear in it, but isn't it cooler restored to original condition?

Plus in it's original condition it serves as a nice historical bookend to the more modern rifles in your collection. Sit it next to your SCAR and you've got well over 100 years in small arms development and all kinds of interesting conversation. And when you're done talking, you get to shoot a really cool old rifle.

lamarbrog
12-20-11, 00:06
#3 is a terrible idea... There's restoration, and then there is demolishing history with a wrecking ball.

I would lean towards a mix of #1 and #2. Get it into firing condition, and then just clean it up. Don't scrub off the patina, that ruins it. Don't go crazy and reblue it with touch up blue, it will look dumb.

Let's see some pictures of this revolver and we'll go from there. Let's see exactly what condition it is in, and it will be a lot easier to make recommendations.

... I guess I am more interested in preserving the history of a 130 year old family heirloom than I am creating a "modern ****ing killing piece".

Why is it that those who least appreciate history, always inherit the most interesting things?

ryan
12-20-11, 07:09
#3 is a terrible idea... There's restoration, and then there is demolishing history with a wrecking ball.

I would lean towards a mix of #1 and #2. Get it into firing condition, and then just clean it up. Don't scrub off the patina, that ruins it. Don't go crazy and reblue it with touch up blue, it will look dumb.

Let's see some pictures of this revolver and we'll go from there. Let's see exactly what condition it is in, and it will be a lot easier to make recommendations.

... I guess I am more interested in preserving the history of a 130 year old family heirloom than I am creating a "modern ****ing killing piece".

Why is it that those who least appreciate history, always inherit the most interesting things?

An 1873 Winchester is a lever action rifle/carbine...

TOrrock
12-20-11, 07:35
.44-40, .38-40, .32-20?

QuietShootr
12-20-11, 08:30
.44-40, .38-40, .32-20?

It's a .44-40.

And I certainly appreciate history. I just thought considering its condition (crusty, to be kind) means that it doesn't have much collector value as it is, so why not do it up a bit?

Of course, I've been on the lookout for a good condition Colt 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .380 to send to Novak for a work-over that would probably make you vomit. :D

lamarbrog
12-20-11, 12:11
An 1873 Winchester is a lever action rifle/carbine...

Oops. I missed the vague reference to Winchester near the end. In my mind, when someone calls something an "1873" with no other information (as he did at least twice before Winchester was mentioned, and even then not as part of the model number) I default to a Colt 1873, Single Action Army.

40Arpent
12-20-11, 17:19
In my mind, when someone calls something an "1873" with no other information (as he did at least twice before Winchester was mentioned, and even then not as part of the model number) I default to a Colt 1873, Single Action Army.

Also take note of what forum this thread is in. :D

discreet
12-20-11, 17:25
Just restore it. You will end up feeling back for modifying it.

If you haven't had a chance to go shooting with it much, I can guarantee you will have a blast, without the "new" stuff. I absolutely love taking my 32-20 out. Much fun in ever way.

40Arpent
12-20-11, 17:26
My vote is for #1, plus a new forend that would be artificially aged to match the condition of the stock. Not staunchly opposed to #3 though. Anything I'd have done in the vein of #2 would have to go the way of a Turnbull restoration.

QuietShootr
12-20-11, 17:56
Where's a good place to get 1873 parts?

lamarbrog
12-20-11, 18:01
Also take note of what forum this thread is in. :D

Excellent observation.

I clicked directly on this thread from the main forum page without entering this specific forum.

I'm just going to shut up now.

TOrrock
12-20-11, 18:15

You will probably do best hanging out on some of the Cowboy Action forums, even if it might make your eyes bleed.

discreet
12-20-11, 18:30

Small FFl's are the best way I have found. There are many shops who despise of anything new, and stick to the old stuff. This is pretty much how I got parts for my 32-20. Most of these tiny shops don't have websites so it's more just googling for phone numbers and calling in.

J-Dub
12-21-11, 13:41
I vote for option 2.

The way i see it is, that rifle was made to shoot. So restore it to shootable condition, throw in some modern touches and be done with it.

44-40 is a great caliber from what i've read.

gunnut284
12-21-11, 21:50
I'm not particularly sentimental but I have to vote #1. If it were something newer I might consider it but with something that old I would buy a new reproduction to shoot and clean up the old one for an occasional nostagia session and to pass it on to future generations. I'd kick my own ass later for messing it up.

discreet
12-21-11, 22:02
I vote for option 2.

The way i see it is, that rifle was made to shoot. So restore it to shootable condition, throw in some modern touches and be done with it.

44-40 is a great caliber from what i've read.

Wait, why are modern touches needed? My stock 32-20 sights are more spot on than any of my 200+ $ iron sights are, and both are zero'd in. Original guns IMO are meant to be original. No point in modernizing something that was already literally perfect to begin with. Just my 2 cents though, but heck, what do I know, outside of taking my mint relic 32-20 out shooting every day, btw, which is more of a hoot to shoot than any AR or other gun I own.

ryan
12-21-11, 22:18
The receiver is already drilled and tapped, the forearm is already busted, the finish is already gone.

Whats wrong with a peep and tritium combo?

Whats wrong with a better finish?

When a quad rail, bipod, gripod, AFG, 36x78x99 scope, etc etc get put on it then holler foul.

chris914
12-22-11, 16:31
Being drilled for a tang sight is a bit different than drilled for a receiver sight.

OP look up Doug Turnbull at turnbull mfg (http://www.turnbullmfg.com/)and or Hamilton Bowen at bowenclassicarms.com (http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/)and see what those folks have to say. I am sure that they can put you on to a source of parts.

J-Dub
12-22-11, 17:54
Wait, why are modern touches needed? My stock 32-20 sights are more spot on than any of my 200+ $ iron sights are, and both are zero'd in. Original guns IMO are meant to be original. No point in modernizing something that was already literally perfect to begin with. Just my 2 cents though, but heck, what do I know, outside of taking my mint relic 32-20 out shooting every day, btw, which is more of a hoot to shoot than any AR or other gun I own.

Easy........I never said modern touches were needed, but if he wants to go that route...go for it, who cares?

discreet
12-23-11, 00:22
The receiver is already drilled and tapped, the forearm is already busted, the finish is already gone.

Whats wrong with a peep and tritium combo?

Whats wrong with a better finish?

When a quad rail, bipod, gripod, AFG, 36x78x99 scope, etc etc get put on it then holler foul.

If you take the gun out, you will realize the sights are perfect the way they are, and anything modern would IMO be useless/pointless (trust me, shooting it in the snow, fog, hot summer days, hazy days etc are more than fine with stock sights).

Better finish, go for it, but I'd keep it more of a traditional blued ordeal. I have seen some people polish theirs up etc, and it does take a lot of the old school relic feeling out of it.

Like said man, if you want to go for it, by all means. I just mention it because every collector I have known who has done similar has regretted doing the mods they did, especially the guys polishing their receiver.

Now forearm and stock, by all means, I'd replace both and keep the original in a box, that way the original, even if the forearm is broken, stays original.

Anyways, IMO, what i'd do is fix the stock up, get the internals back to mint form, and go out shooting, and then decide if sights etc are worth the time.

Definitely stoked to see this thread though. These guns are absolutely awsome to shoot, and one of the most reliable weapons out there.

subzero
12-29-11, 12:26

Ran across this one last night: http://winchesterbob.com/