PDA

View Full Version : Bolt gun gunsmith inquiry

12-20-11, 08:51
Are there gunsmiths that put together rifles similar to what ADCO does for ARs? You can ship them a box of parts and they'll put together a rifle for you. I know there's more to it than just slapping parts together..
I know I can buy a rifle from a reputable smith outright but essentially aren't they doing the same? Assembling a rifle based on parts? (Again, I know it's more involved than that.)
I've always had a thing for Surgeon actioned rifles and good ol Model 700's. Brownells sells the 591 at a good price (after LE/MIL discount). I thought about piecing together a bolt gun or even picking up a beat up 700 and getting it blueprinted and rebarreled.
Thoughts?

SeriousStudent
12-20-11, 11:32
Depending on where you are in Texas: http://sandsprecisionrifles.com/

And I would definitely visit with the smith, and get their input before I bought a lot of parts. I'm in the process of building up a precision bolt gun myself. I'm very likely going to send my barreled action to them to get it recrowned and have the action blueprinted.

sadmin
12-20-11, 11:40
Aaron Roberts is also a bolt gun smith; he is in Spring, TX. I've no experience with his gun-smithing, but if he 'smiths half as good as he shoots, it will be quality. http://www.rprifles.com/

TomD
12-20-11, 12:16
I will recommend Garland Gilbreath of Triple G Gunsmithing in Stephenville.

Hizzie
12-20-11, 13:09
Aaron Roberts is also a bolt gun smith; he is in Spring, TX. I've no experience with his gun-smithing, but if he 'smiths half as good as he shoots, it will be quality. http://www.rprifles.com/

Wish I knew about him before I used Spring Guns and Ammo.

E4for2
12-20-11, 14:28
West Texas Ordnance-home of Sgt Clayton Smith-as of late the USMC Ord tech and a working Gunsmith since he was 15 years old

http://westtexordnance.com/home

12-20-11, 16:28
Thanks. I'll contact Aaron Roberts first since he's just 30 min north of my location. I start out with "If I dropped off an action, stock, and barrel blank, could you work your magic?"

40Arpent
12-20-11, 16:50
I have recently spoken to several very pleased customers of Precision Barrel Work in Hempstead, TX. http://www.precisionbarrelwork.com/ His name is Pete Pieper.

12-24-11, 17:54
Thanks again for the help. I think this is the route I will take. I already started buying stuff for the box of parts. Can anyone advise if I'm missing anything?

My plan:
Action (Surgeon or Defiance)
Trigger pack (Timney 510)
Barrel blank (Bartlein SS 5R M24 profile- ordered)
Stock (AICS)
Scope rings (undecided)
Bipod (undecided)
Optic (undecided)

mkmckinley
12-25-11, 00:36
William Roscoe of Louisiana Precision is a competative shooter, excellent gunsmith and all around good guy. His wait times are reasonable. If I were you I'd contact him, or whoever you decide on, and discuss your options before you start buying parts.

12-25-11, 02:38
I'll take it into consideration but it seems like each rifle smith has his own preference of parts to use. You ask 4 different people you get 4 different setups. I'm no expert but I think my choices are ok for the most part.

BigJoe
12-25-11, 09:13
GA precision
APA
Tactical operations
Black ops precision

Most smiths will work on supplied parts

Dave L.
12-26-11, 12:06
GA precision
APA
Tactical operations
Black ops precision

Most smiths will work on supplied parts

Has GA started working on customer supplied parts again? They quit for a while.

BigJoe
12-26-11, 18:48
yeah they will still work on parts you send in

12-26-11, 19:40
I've been in contact with Accurate Ordnance. Their quoted turnaround time is nice. I'm waiting to hear back from SAC and GAP.
I've also been trying to read up on Roberts Precision as well. I don't mind supporting the local guy but need more info on his builds, accuracy, etc.

SeriousStudent
12-26-11, 22:39
I'd be very interested in what you discover about Roberts Precision. I would not mind giving him some work.

BigJoe
12-26-11, 23:29
Kampfield custom too

arob
12-27-11, 12:31
Guys,

If you have questions all you have to do is call, or come to the shop. I will show and tell you around the place. It is a very no nonsense approach: Take good components, add great machinery, knowledge, fantastic indication equipment, and patience; you will get a rifle that looks and shoots great. 281-651-5593. I don't post often, but if you need answers the only way to get them is to ask the questions. You can look at our Facebook page, there are a lot of pictures on there.

Aaron Roberts / Roberts Precision Rifles

SeriousStudent
12-27-11, 18:20
I just had the pleasure of chatting with Mr. Roberts on the phone. Very thoughtful and helpful, he had a lot of good advice regarding my precision bolt gun plans.

He's also someone that puts his money where his mouth is. Here's a photo of the rifle he created to benefit Marcus Lutrell's Lone Survivor Foundation.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=163673690383241&set=pu.100867069997237&type=1&theater

Mr. Roberts, please accept my thanks for your time and advice today, and bless you for your work to help your fellow veterans.

12-30-11, 17:58
I'm in Houston and fortunately enough RP Rifles is also in the Houston area (Spring). Thanks sadmin for turning me on to his outfit. I knew who Aaron Roberts was but had no earthly idea he was involved in rifle work. It was natural of me to inquire about it.
I paid him a visit today at the shop and got a tour/run down of his operation and how he built rifles. The shop was equipped, clean, and well kept. Obviously that alone doesn't make a quality smith. His work and attention to detail did all the talking.
His no BS approach to everything was a nice touch. He did not try to sell me anything or bad mouth other smiths at any time. I've been to places before and it was sell sell sell. "XXXX makes crap rifles." There was none of that nonsense. He left it to me to decide.
Aaron was totally down to earth and very understanding of what I wanted in a build.
Anyway I don't want to make this an advertisement but I just wanted to say that RP Rifles will get my hard earned bucks. :cool:

Thanks again Aaron for taking the time out to shoot the breeze with me this afternoon and sorry your late lunch got cold. You have a badass shop dog. :p