PDA

View Full Version : Remington 223 55 grain Accutip-V for duty use?

jadams951
12-20-11, 12:01
Is this stuff just Remington's version of the Hornady 223 55 grain TAP round? Department currently issues Remington 55 grain PSP for duty use and are thinking of switching to accutip-V. Was given some of it by one of the main firearms guy to test and give my feedback. I can't help but think inadequate penetration and horrible for any type of barriers. Also, seems quite expensive compared to Hornady TAP.

ST911
12-20-11, 12:14
I've shot some. It's a great varmint/rodent round, utilizing violent fragmentation and shallow penetration. Great choice for that role.

Suboptimal as the 55 JSP is, you'd be better off sticking with it over the varmint round.

At the price point you're shopping, you could be buying a high quality duty load.

DocGKR
12-20-11, 13:07
jadams951--Please feel free to contact me offline. It appears your agency is ignoring the last 30 years of wound ballistic research, as well as OIS incident and combat terminal performance results.

Generalpie
12-20-11, 19:59
This sadly seems to be the current state of affairs in so many agencies.

jadams951--Please feel free to contact me offline. It appears your agency is ignoring the last 30 years of wound ballistic research, as well as OIS incident and combat terminal performance results.

PaiN108
12-21-11, 15:14

DocGKR, I am having the same problem with my agency.We are currently issued Hornady TAP 55 gr and have a mix of 1/12, 1/9, and 1/7 agency issued and personal rifles. I have been trying to position myself to actually help make this change. Next year I will finish up the classes I need to become one of my agencies main firearms trainers and I am curious what additional resources you have available to help convince the admin.

jadams951
12-21-11, 16:02
Doc I've PM'd you my work email. Any info you can provide to help our cause we'd much appreciate it.