PDA

View Full Version : Holes caused by IWB carry

Spengo
12-20-11, 12:17
Is there anything I can do to prevent an IWB-carried firearm from wearing holes through all my jeans? I've been using a crossbreed supertuck to carry a SIG P229R, and the muzzle always wears a hole in my pants where it sticks out of the kydex. :( The only thing I can think of is something like sewing a patch made of leather or some other tough material to the interior of my pants where the muzzle rubs. What do you do to prevent holes?

Zhurdan
12-20-11, 12:21
Topic header scared me at first.

Rather than modify all your pants, what about a modification to the holster? Add a piece of leather to hang down past the muzzle. Fix the item causing the problem, not the result of the problem.

Spengo
12-20-11, 12:28
That could work too, is there anywhere I can purchase a small amount of leather, already all treated and stuff to use?

Spiffums
12-20-11, 12:34
Do they make anything like MTAC's sized bodies?

Spengo
12-20-11, 12:55
Is the kydex that covers the muzzle of the gun on the comp-tac holsters soft enough to prevent holes in jeans?

Zhurdan
12-20-11, 12:59
That could work too, is there anywhere I can purchase a small amount of leather, already all treated and stuff to use?

Check a local Horse Tac store if you've got one hear by. Tandy Leather, maybe even a craft store. Even part of an old belt.

markm
12-20-11, 13:10
Are you wearing skinny jeans by chance?

Spengo
12-20-11, 13:12
Are you wearing skinny jeans by chance?

Straight cut from Eddie Bauer. Not skinny but not baggy either.

Check a local Horse Tac store if you've got one hear by. Tandy Leather, maybe even a craft store. Even part of an old belt.

Will do

markm
12-20-11, 13:23
Straight cut from Eddie Bauer. Not skinny but not baggy either.

I was just joking, Bro. :D

JSantoro
12-20-11, 13:26
That's what came to my mind...if not skinny-jeans, then something worn at some level of Euro/metro-fashionable tightness (not a judgement, BTW, whether it's the case or not...).

For what it's worth, I carry using a Comp-Tac Minotaur (hybrid) for lightless, or PSS (all kydex) for light-bearing IWB, every day. Pants range from Columbia, Kuhl, EO Tac, Arc'Teryx....all cloths thinner than denim, though more tightly woven, and my wear points are still exclusively on the wallet-pocket, at the clip points for my knife and handheld light, cuffs.

Is the wear at the snout of your pistol, where the side of the slide turns into the muzzle? If so, I'd hazard to guess that it's that angle. Get a holster that covers the nose of the gun, you might see a difference. Otherwise, stop wearing pants so tight that folks can tell what religion you are (Texans, disregard; I know it's written into your constitution...). ;)

It's also been pointed out that going with, say, a 34 inseam (when one usually wears a 32) often provides for more "rise" in the pelvis of the trousers and therefore more room for IWB carry than simply sticking with some extra room in the waist.

Stangman
12-20-11, 13:31
I've got a MTAC as well & I get no holes in my jeans. Sometimes in the shirt if the grip is rough (but that was from a round 1911 grip that needed taken care of). That's about all the wear I have ever gotten though.

Spengo
12-20-11, 13:41
I was just joking, Bro. :D

That's what came to my mind...if not skinny-jeans, then something worn at some level of Euro/metro-fashionable tightness (not a judgement, BTW, whether it's the case or not...).
Hey, a man's gotta look good when he's slaying bodies. Everyone knows tight pants = tight groups! :cool:
http://i.imgur.com/pXWHKl.jpg (http://i.imgur.com/pXWHK.jpg)

Is the wear at the snout of your pistol, where the side of the slide turns into the muzzle? If so, I'd hazard to guess that it's that angle. Get a holster that covers the nose of the gun, you might see a difference. Otherwise, stop wearing pants so tight that folks can tell what religion you are (Texans, disregard; I know it's written into your constitution...). ;)
It is indeed right where the side of the slide turns into the muzzle. I will try out the comp-tac minotaur and see if that resolves my issue.

Sry0fcr
12-20-11, 14:05
I second looking into a holster that covers the muzzle. I've had no issues with SCW K25 or RC Phantom wearing low rise slim fit Levi's 514 and 513. I'm short and skinny so I can get away with it. :lol:

Sticks
12-20-11, 14:16
Ditto the muzzle coverage.

I make my own. CB Super tuck style with full slide coverage - slightly rounded over at the muzzle. Been wearing the same holster, in the same spot, since 2007 and no holes or wear spots on any of my work jeans (14 pairs, wear them every day).

FWIW - I am a field service technician for a concrete paving company. 60 hours a week repairing heavy equipment in the field, climbing, crawling, rolling around, hanging upside down, and a number of other uncomfortable positions all day, every day.

I carry a Baby Eagle Full Size steel .40 (4.72 barrel). 6' 3", 165#.

JSantoro
12-20-11, 14:20
I ascribe to the "you can f**k up as bad as you need to, so long as you look good doing it" school.

Corollary: "....so long as you're wearing the right sunglasses."

Since I do not look good, I have to rely on sunglasses and charm, whch means that since I wear Native Eyewear instead of Oakleys or Rudy Project, and given my personality....I'm totally boned.

Consider the CTAC, too, or similar. If you like what the hybrid configuration is giving you with the Crossbreed, the Minotaur with the covered muzzle is a natural shift. That said, the CTAC has both the waistline-blending aspects of the hybrid with the better retention of a pure kydex holster body.

David Thomas
12-20-11, 14:25
wearing the same holster in the same spot every day will cause this issue. I haven't found a cure and I use leather holsters and do not wear tight pants. As far as I am concerned, It is the price of admission.

just buy more pants.

Abraxas
12-20-11, 15:05
wearing the same holster in the same spot every day will cause this issue. I haven't found a cure and I use leather holsters and do not wear tight pants. As far as I am concerned, It is the price of admission.

just buy more pants.
My thoughts are prettymuch the same as this.

SteveL
12-20-11, 16:32
I haven't had a problem with wearing holes through any of my pants, but I have a few small holes in a couple of shirt tails where they hang over my pistol.

NitroDave08
12-20-11, 21:47
Must be nice to have that problem, mine is with the belly, the grip would be sticking out at a 45 degree angle haha. Tandy leather is a good place to go, you can probably have someone there attach a leather swatch.

Voodoo_Man
12-20-11, 22:06
I haven't had a problem with wearing holes through any of my pants, but I have a few small holes in a couple of shirt tails where they hang over my pistol.

I have the same problem, I didn't sold it yet. :D

TommyG
12-21-11, 09:35
The bottom ends of the C clips on my C-TACs wore holes in my jeans, slacks and shorts pretty regularly. I never had any issues with the holster body whether it was the slide model or full coverage model. I would get holes pretty fast where the end of the rear clip sat against the fabric. I ended up switching to an infidel as opposed to modifying all of my pants and shorts.

sgtjosh
12-21-11, 11:56
Get some iron on patches...Wally-World

Cut them (oversize) to fit the spots your holster wears on the inside of your jeans.

Iron them onto the inside of your jeans.

That will give you an extra layer of protection.