PDA

View Full Version : SPR optic choice under $1K

Plumber237
12-20-11, 13:05
Basically wondering what would the best optic for the SPR I am building for under $1000. So far one option that I am looking at is the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5x10. This rifle will be used as a backup/primary (environment/distance depending) SHTF/range weapon, as well as a learning tool for precision shooting (I am new to distance shooting AR's with anything more than a 4x ACOG). I don't necessarily want to go cheap with the optic, but can't really afford a Nightforce or some of the higher end Leupold. Any suggestions, especially with personal experience with the scopes, would be appreciated. I will be shooting mk262 ammo through a BCM 18" SPR upper.

Thanks,
Plumber

TAZ
12-20-11, 14:03
Lots of threads around in this topic. Do a search and you will see some good discussion on the topic both here and on Snipers Hide. Do searches for Vortex PST 2.5-10, Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9, Super Sniper 3-9 and the like.

40Arpent
12-20-11, 16:19
...especially in the optics forum here, specifically desginated for such questions.

chavez_e_chavez
12-20-11, 16:20
burris has a good line of 1-4x optics.....$899-under

lwrkeysfisher
12-20-11, 21:12
Basically wondering what would the best optic for the SPR I am building for under $1000. So far one option that I am looking at is the Trijicon Accupoint 2.5x10. This rifle will be used as a backup/primary (environment/distance depending) SHTF/range weapon, as well as a learning tool for precision shooting (I am new to distance shooting AR's with anything more than a 4x ACOG). I don't necessarily want to go cheap with the optic, but can't really afford a Nightforce or some of the higher end Leupold. Any suggestions, especially with personal experience with the scopes, would be appreciated. I will be shooting mk262 ammo through a BCM 18" SPR upper.

Thanks,
Plumber

For precision shooting at distance I would get a SS 3-9, Leupold MK4 3.5-10, or save a little and get the Nightforce 2.5-10X32. I personally really enjoy the Accupoint line, and have used the 3-9 on my hunting rifle (Noveske 6.8 Rogue Hunter) with great success, but it lacks the turrets and reticle necessary for true precision shooting. That said if you're sold on the Accupoint, you should go with the 3-9 over the 2.5-10 for size, weight, ease of mounting, and price.

I currently use a Nightforce 2.5-10 and Leupold 3.5-10. I have the MOA turrets and reticle on the Nightforce and MOA/MIL(TMR) on the Leupold. I think these are the two best SPR optics on the market in the vicinity of the price range you established.

Good luck.

Plumber237
12-21-11, 08:19
Thanks for the input...from reading on other optics posts and SPR posts as well it sounds like Nightforce is the way to go. So I think I will probably just run irons for a little longer once my gun gets built and save up my money for the optic.

Thanks again,
Plumber