PDA

View Full Version : Loose fitting plates in DBT FAPC

andy t
12-20-11, 13:53
I got a great deal on a DBT FAPC. It's size large. I also have size large 10x12 SAPI style plates (Gamma III+).
When I put the plates into the carrier, there is about 2" between the bottom of the plate and the bottom of the plate pocket, causing the plate to fall to the bottom (due to the way the plate pocket is secured). Is there a way to add some padding to the bottom of the plate to keep it high? Would medium size of the FAPC be better?

Thanks.

JSantoro
12-20-11, 14:32
I had the same problem with my Eagle PC in L/XL with large ESAPIs.

If the PC doesn't have a suspension system that keeps the plates up where they need to be, you can put a buffer in the bottom to push it up. Before I went to using one of those foam cylinders that get put in between 25mm chain-gun rounds (granted, not the most available of things)...

...I cut strips from a USGI iso-mat (sleeping mat, bitch-mat) to fit the base of the pocket and glued three of them together to form something on which the plate rested, tightly enough to keep it from bouncing in the pocket as I ran.

That stuff is semi-rigid, closed-cell foam, so it doesn't compress a whole hell of a lot, flexible, doesn't absorb water/sweat. Worked well, until I got a PC with a suspension system in the pockets. You can get them at Dick's sporting goods and similar shops (http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2425699), they're damned sure cheaper than a whole new PC, and you can still use it to sleep on for camping (unless you're cookie-cuttering large gingerbread men out of the thing!).

andy t
12-20-11, 14:49
Great! Thank you for the tips.