PDA

View Full Version : auto load glock 19

Phillygunguy
12-20-11, 15:10
OK I feel like every time I post its always about an issue, I appologize But Have a new glock 19 gen 3 and shot it for the first time today I had 3 different instances I went to load a full magazine and when I put it thought the mag well the slide closed I was holding it at an angle each time but its basically performing like an M&P which I know happens Is this typical for new glocks ? or should I be concerned ? I never had this happen on my glock 30 gen 3 and glock 26 gen 2

sgtrock82
12-20-11, 17:10
Your wording gets kind of hazy in the middle, but if I understand your concerned about the slide closing automatically when you seat a magazine. I also have this happen with my gen 3 glock 19 and I once wondered if there was an issue. Ive never looked into it myself because it hasnt yet resulted in a problem for me.

I tend to seat magazines pretty hard and when I do this with my glock the slide is jarred, looses contact with the slide release, that is no longer held up by anything, so it drops down and the slide closes on its own. Ive worked on not being overly aggressive seating the mag and using the slide release. It has been pretty successful but every so often it still closes on its own. Again its appears to be jarred by the seating of the mag and has yet to not strip a round into the chamber. If there is better info or advice on this, I am also interested in learning about it.

KTR03
12-20-11, 18:09
It pretty much happens with most semi auto pistols if the mag is inserted very hard. I've seen it on MandPs, HKs, and Glocks. Frankly its really not that big a deal. What I would say is if you insert the mag, and the slide automatically goes into battery, do a chamber check before you holster up (you should be doing that anyway). If it is being done in a tactical setting, then I would go ahead and jerk the slide and ensure that the slide didn't autoforward without chambering a round. It happens. YOu don't want a click when you wanted a bang.

Phillygunguy
12-20-11, 18:33
yeah Im not worried about it too much just only seen it happen to my m&p and Beretta not glock

Inuvik
12-20-11, 18:36
Issue has been covered at lenght in the training and tactics section of this forum:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=77316

Phillygunguy
12-20-11, 18:39
Issue has been covered at lenght in the training and tactics section of this forum:

thanks

sgtrock82
12-20-11, 20:14

Yes, Thank you for this link, very informative. Im not sure what I would have typed into the search had I gone looking for it. Its good to know Im on the right track trying to prevent it from happening or relying on it in any way.

Kain
12-20-11, 21:00
For what its worth, I have seen the same issue with a lot of Glock pistols, had a cop friend of mine show it to me, kind of as a "hey, check out this neat trick" kind of thing. That said, one thing, at least in my experience that seems to stop the problem, if you wish to call it that (I personally go for quirk of design), is the extended slide release, on my 17 after the extended slide release was installed the pistol didn't go in battery as often when a fast and forceful insertion was done, still will on occasion, but no longer a majority of the time.

Polymerhead
12-20-11, 21:11
Hmm, will have to try this and see if it works on my 19. Has not happened so far. Since I slingshot the slide to release it on a new mag, I suppose the fix would be to fully run the slide instead of slingshot it loose if you get a slide slam on mag insertion. Seems like a natural transition (it's the same motion) and the only downside is that you lose a round to the dirt with every mag.

Magsz
12-20-11, 23:10
Got any video of your reload technique?

My M&P's auto forward on 99.9% of all reloads.

My Glocks auto forward 1% of the time.

I am using the same technique between guns.

durus5995
12-21-11, 03:35
My question is has an auto forward reload ever caused a malfunction regardless of the pistol brand?

Vendetta
12-21-11, 10:04
My question is has an auto forward reload ever caused a malfunction regardless of the pistol brand?

Yes, there were a few posts in the previously mentioned link a few posts up. I've seen the malfunctions where the slide didn't fully go into battery or a round was not chambered. I had a short stint where I kept doing it with my Sig. At first I was ok with it, then I started reading more into the issue and seeing other failures with it. I've personally never had a malfunction when it's happened, but I'm not going to wait for one to change my technique either.

Phillygunguy
12-21-11, 19:28
I understand how an auto load may not put a round into battery but my concern is if one were to do a powerstroke after after an auto load if a round has been chambered a powerstroke thows that round out and that may be the one you need in a fight

Magsz
12-21-11, 20:15
This is why you change your technique to avoid auto forwarding.

You're relying on an unknown when you can eliminate that unknown entirely.

Also, change your slide lock just to rule out the possibility that the spring has weakened over time or was on the lighter end of the spectrum from the factory.