PDA

View Full Version : BoB, Ghb, etc FAQ

Shoot 1st
12-20-11, 20:20
Anyone willing to make a FAQ for piecing together a kit, with build guidlines and explanations, for people to go off of, for a bug out bag, get home back, everyday pack etc?

This would help a lot of people trying to get a kit together and cut down on a lot of the same questions.

Include each component, a few brands of each and maybe a place or two to get said items.

example

Fire starter- get it here etc.

compass- get it here etc.

anyone willing?

docsherm
12-20-11, 21:19
Not sure if this is what you are wanting but I found a really good artical on BOBs here:
http://www.survivalblog.com/2011/12/bug-out_bag_bob_levels_by_bob.html

It has a very good breakdown on the set up.

As for where to get stuff.....I found that the best place to get a great deal of the small stuff for my bag came from:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/Main.aspx?

You can get some real good deals there.

Shoot 1st
12-21-11, 00:42
thanks!

Moose-Knuckle
12-21-11, 01:02
I have several bags, my Kelty Falcon 4000 is the BOB I would grab if at home and I had to leave like yesterday knowing I could never return. Behind the seat of my truck I keep a Maratac EOD Uitility Bag (http://countycomm.com/minebag.html). I keep the essentials in it and consider it to be my GHB.

I find a lot of the stuff I fill them with from County Comm (http://countycomm.com/whatsnew.html).

uwe1
12-21-11, 09:17
I just picked up a Kelty Peregrine 1800 for $45 as a get home bag to double duty as a hiking pack. Fortunately, I work only about 15 minutes drive from home, so it's easier if I have to make the journey on foot.

Dave L.
12-21-11, 10:20
These BOB threads are starting to make me sick...

The question is not as simple as: what bag and what do I put in it?

How far might you need travel on foot?
How many cubic feet of shit do you want to carry?
How heavy is said shit?

Distance and gear will determine what platform you need. If you are gong to ask what method people are using to carry their load, it might be wise to first explain the background information needed to help.

As far as things to put in the pack, items will greatly vary from person to person based on individual needs and environment.

A better approach to this might be for individuals to do a review of their personal setups with explanations of why they chose what they chose.

Redmanfms
12-21-11, 19:38
These BOB threads are starting to make me sick...

The question is not as simple as: what bag and what do I put in it?

How far might you need travel on foot?
How many cubic feet of shit do you want to carry?
How heavy is said shit?

Distance and gear will determine what platform you need. If you are gong to ask what method people are using to carry their load, it might be wise to first explain the background information needed to help.

As far as things to put in the pack, items will greatly vary from person to person based on individual needs and environment.

A better approach to this might be for individuals to do a review of their personal setups with explanations of why they chose what they chose.

That cannot be stated strongly enough.

Instead of expecting somebody else to work up a "FAQ" with detailed "get this brand item and buy it here" list you need to do some leg work yourself.

The best possible thing anybody can do in putting together a "BOB" or "GHB" is to get into backpacking. I dare say the overwhelming majority of people who frequent "survival" boards aren't going to do that and like the OP, just want to know what they can buy to make up for their massive deficiency in skillset. This is true of just about every single "gear" question I've seen on this board or any other. And, quite frankly, for many people this ("survival/preparation") is really just an obsessive hobby and excuse to buy shit.

Moose-Knuckle
12-21-11, 19:53
The best possible thing anybody can do in putting together a "BOB" or "GHB" is to get into backpacking.

I would say this is spot on, get into outdoor activities. If you have a REI close to you they host FREE classes weekly on everything from Backpacking 101 to compass/GPS land nav.

My wife is on me to go winter camping soon to test out some of our latest acquisitions.