PDA

View Full Version : Hackers post cops’ personal data to avenge OWS

platoonDaddy
12-21-11, 06:17
This is bull shit, the hackers need to be caught and a public castration. Wonder if our AG will ignore this?

Computer hackers are avenging the Occupy movement by exposing the personal information of police officers who evicted protesters and threatening family-values advocates who led a boycott of an American Muslim television show.

In three Internet postings last week, hackers from the loose online coalition called Anonymous published the email and physical addresses, phone numbers and, in some cases, salary details of thousands of law enforcement officers all over the country.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/20/hackers-post-cops-personal-data-online/

Voodoo_Man
12-21-11, 06:36
Hopefully these guys will be caught. Posting info like that can get someone hurt.

montanadave
12-21-11, 07:02
Remember that old thought experiment wherein folks are invited to contemplate a world in which a person's internal thoughts and dialogue were available to everyone around them? That day is closer than we think.

These types of actions (which I DO NOT condone) are simply the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the erosion of personal privacy. Your personal information is "out there" on god-only-knows how many different servers, whether owned by the government or business, and it is available to virtually anyone with the most rudimentary of computer skills.

You get in the right person's crosshairs and you're likely to wake up to every ****ing detail of your life posted on the internet and, as every politician and celebrity discover sooner or later, once the genie of personal information is out of the bottle, there's no getting it back in.

platoonDaddy
12-21-11, 08:35
As everyone knows the major (if not all) the international unions are supporting OWS and of course many represent LEO's. For example the Teamsters offered their HQ facilities for the OWS crowd to shower and sleep and they represent LEO's. Wonder how they are going to spin this event to the rank-n-file?

Irish
12-21-11, 11:46
Kind of like when the police decide to publish all the people who have concealed carry licenses in their local newspapers. Neither idea is very well thought out.

sgtjosh
12-21-11, 12:09
Ironically, The National Border Patrol Council which represents non-supervisory Border Patrol agents is AFL/CIO affiliated. AFL/CIO supports amnesty for illegal aliens. Most large labor unions push a liberal agenda, which is unfamiliar and uncomfortable for many police officers, as the law enforcement profession traditionally attracts a conservative minded person. YMMV

I subscribe to Privacy for Cops. (https://www.privacyforcops.org/) They help keep my info off publicly accessible databases. I occasionally Google myself and I don't usually find anything.

This service appears to be Kalifornia centered. It may not work for everyone. If these Occu-tards are getting their info from hacking, this service may not help much. However, I feel better having it.

SteyrAUG
12-21-11, 13:08
Kind of like when the police decide to publish all the people who have concealed carry licenses in their local newspapers. Neither idea is very well thought out.

In every case I'd ever seen it was the newspaper that acquired that info and published it. Are there really cases where a PD provided the info?

Irish
12-21-11, 13:21
In every case I'd ever seen it was the newspaper that acquired that info and published it. Are there really cases where a PD provided the info?

Where else would the newspaper acquire the information? Here's an example after a quick search regarding publishing CCW info. http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/108418

Although she had received no official word from Virginia State Police, which provided the data at the paper's request...

SteyrAUG
12-21-11, 13:49
Where else would the newspaper acquire the information? Here's an example after a quick search regarding publishing CCW info. http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/108418

I assumed it is some kind of public info or available on paid search websites. If a PD provides the information in every case, that is really messed up.

toasterlocker
12-21-11, 17:00
circa 2004
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215499488_8pSZr-L-2.jpg

variablebinary
12-21-11, 17:27
So what happens if some shitbag shows up at a cop's home, and rapes and kills his wife and kids while he is on duty?

Are we going to charge these hacker shit stains with murder and execute them like we would any other cop killer?

Redmanfms
12-21-11, 19:51

It's public information. The VSP has no say in what a newspaper can or cannot publish and is legally unable to deny release of information to a request.

Think DOJ illegally denying FOIA requests......

ETA: I'm very familiar with the Christian Trejbol incident. He wasn't very happy when VCDL published his personal information (which was actually publicly available in the white pages anyway), and even claimed (apparently fallaciously) to have received bomb threats and a "suspicious package" that was actually a UPS delivery.

Don Robison
12-21-11, 20:13

In Florida it would come from the Department of Agriculture if it were available as public record.

It's public information. The VSP has no say in what a newspaper can or cannot publish and is legally unable to deny release of information to a request.

It's state specific; permit holder names and information aren't public domain in Florida since 2006. It was taken out of public because of newspapers deciding it was a good idea to publish it.
It wouldn't surprise me to see laws pop up in various states taking police officers personal information out of the public domain. Not sure I would agree with it, but I can see both sides of the argument surrounding it.

Armati
12-21-11, 20:13
"God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. ... What country before ever existed a century and half without a rebellion? And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." - Thomas Jefferson

I will give you a dollar if you can name what rebellion he was talking about. Hint - it wasn't against the British.

Redmanfms
12-21-11, 20:19
It's state specific; permit holder names and information aren't public domain in Florida since 2006. It was taken out of public because of newspapers deciding it was a good idea to publish it.
It wouldn't surprise me to see laws pop up in various states taking police officers personal information out of the public domain. Not sure I would agree with it, but I can see both sides of the argument surrounding it.

But it is public information in Virginia. It wasn't the "police" publishing private information as Irish argued, it was a private entity (The Roanoke Times) publishing public information the Virginia State Police are legally bound to release upon request.

My argument stands.

I can't remember if the Trejbol incident resulted in VA changing the law to protect permit holders or not, but I do know it was a MAJOR bugaboo at the time.

armakraut
12-21-11, 20:23
I'm very familiar with the Christian Trejbol incident. He wasn't very happy when VCDL published his personal information

Payback's a bitch.

http://snakkle.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/randy-quaid-FC-298x200.jpg

Cameron
12-21-11, 20:27
I will give you a dollar if you can name what rebellion he was talking about. Hint - it wasn't against the British.

French Revolution.

Cameron

Redmanfms
12-21-11, 20:35
French Revolution.

Cameron

Correct. Sadly, Jefferson was horribly mistaken regarding the bloodsoaked orgy of murder and destruction that was the French Revolution.

Heaven forbid, truly, that such an event happen here.

Armati
12-21-11, 20:58
French Revolution.

Nope.

Redmanfms
12-21-11, 21:15
Nope.

:o

Duh, yeah, it was Shay's Rebellion. If you read the entire letter though, it becomes obvious that he isn't praising the rebellion.

armakraut
12-21-11, 21:17
It was shay's rebellion.

Same shit different century.

Oppressive state governments were locking people up and confiscating property for anything and everything, taxes, debts dating back before the revolution, etc, on orders of people who were loyalists in previous lives, so people took over the courts and freed people from the jails. When everything died down we got real bankruptcy laws that were largely widdled away under Klinton. We're due for another rebellion against the system and its lackeys.

Armati
12-21-11, 23:02
:o

Duh, yeah, it was Shay's Rebellion. If you read the entire letter though, it becomes obvious that he isn't praising the rebellion.

I beg to differ:

To William S. Smith Paris, Nov. 13, 1787

DEAR SIR,

I am now to acknoledge the receipt of your favors of October the 4th, 8th, & 26th. In the last you apologise for your letters of introduction to Americans coming here. It is so far from needing apology on your part, that it calls for thanks on mine. I endeavor to shew civilities to all the Americans who come here, & will give me opportunities of doing it: and it is a matter of comfort to know from a good quarter what they are, & how far I may go in my attentions to them. Can you send me Woodmason's bills for the two copying presses for the M. de la Fayette, & the M. de Chastellux? The latter makes one article in a considerable account, of old standing, and which I cannot present for want of this article. -- I do not know whether it is to yourself or Mr. Adams I am to give my thanks for the copy of the new constitution. I beg leave through you to place them where due. It will be yet three weeks before I shall receive them from America. There are very good articles in it: & very bad. I do not know which preponderate. What we have lately read in the history of Holland, in the chapter on the Stadtholder, would have sufficed to set me against a chief magistrate eligible for a long duration, if I had ever been disposed towards one: & what we have always read of the elections of Polish kings should have forever excluded the idea of one continuable for life. Wonderful is the effect of impudent & persevering lying. The British ministry have so long hired their gazetteers to repeat and model into every form lies about our being in anarchy, that the world has at length believed them, the English nation has believed them, the ministers themselves have come to believe them, & what is more wonderful, we have believed them ourselves. Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusetts? And can history produce an instance of rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it's motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions it is a lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. We have had 13. states independent 11. years. There has been one rebellion. That comes to one rebellion in a century & a half for each state. What country before ever existed a century & half without a rebellion? & what country can preserve it's liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon & pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. Our Convention has been too much impressed by the insurrection of Massachusetts: and in the spur of the moment they are setting up a kite to keep the hen-yard in order. I hope in God this article will be rectified before the new constitution is accepted. -- You ask me if any thing transpires here on the subject of S. America? Not a word. I know that there are combustible materials there, and that they wait the torch only. But this country probably will join the extinguishers. -- The want of facts worth communicating to you has occasioned me to give a little loose to dissertation. We must be contented to amuse, when we cannot inform.

.................................................................................................

Here is a reasonably good account of the rebellion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shays'_Rebellion

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-22-11, 00:21
Same thing happened in a book I read...something about enemies, both foreign, and domestic. Crazy.

Redmanfms
12-22-11, 00:47
Yet where does this anarchy exist? Where did it ever exist, except in the single instance of Massachusetts?

You need to read the letter more carefully. Jefferson is NOT praising the rebels, he is illustrating that the British view the affair (that America has descended into anarchy after the Revolution) is unwarranted.

11B101ABN
12-22-11, 05:36
NVM. Not wasitng my time on this mother****er.

Armati
12-22-11, 08:21
You need to read the letter more carefully. Jefferson is NOT praising the rebels, he is illustrating that the British view the affair (that America has descended into anarchy after the Revolution) is unwarranted.

"And can history produce an instance of rebellion so honourably conducted? I say nothing of it's motives. They were founded in ignorance, not wickedness. God forbid we should ever be 20 years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, & always, well informed."

He seems pretty sympathetic to me, saying they are more misinformed rather than malicious rabble. THEN, he launches into the famous 'tree of liberty' text.

Again, at all times, govt needs to be reminded that the people still possess the spirit of resistance even if they are a bit misguided.

wes007
12-22-11, 10:43
If you've really been keeping up with the OWS movement then you'd know that the majority of what the police have done to these protesters is outright unconstitutional and uncalled for. To me, the anonymous act is just a personal and friendly reminder to the authorities to do unto others as you would want others to do to yourself. People can only take so much.

platoonDaddy
12-22-11, 10:59
If you've really been keeping up with the OWS movement then you'd know that the majority of what the police have done to these protesters is outright unconstitutional and uncalled for. To me, the anonymous act is just a personal and friendly reminder to the authorities to do unto others as you would want others to do to yourself. People can only take so much.

You can't be serious! Please document your claim that the majority of what the police have done is outright unconstitutional.

sgtjosh
12-22-11, 21:05
You can't be serious! Please document your claim that the majority of what the police have done is outright unconstitutional.

+1 on this sentiment.

Heavy Metal
12-22-11, 21:43
If you've really been keeping up with the OWS movement then you'd know that the majority of what the police have done to these protesters is outright unconstitutional and uncalled for.

http://images.wikia.com/vsrecommendedgames/images/c/c9/You-keep-using-that-word.jpg

.45fmjoe
12-22-11, 22:21

Then the Virginia state legislature should pass a law removing that information from public record.

You really think it's the PD's fault for releasing information they are legally bound to release? :suicide: