PDA

View Full Version : SBR/Supressor advice

usnavydoc
12-21-11, 09:01
I was looking for some advice on an sbr build that I will be using as a supressor host in the future.

I already have a 9 inch rail and MUR upper reciever I am building off of. I found a deal on a used DD10.3 inch barrel with a really low round count. My question is will there be enough room to mount the supressor or do I go with an 11.5 in barrel that IO will likely have to buy new. I am looking at the AAC M4/2000.

cabbynate
12-21-11, 09:17
I would bet all my marbles it would work. You got 1.3" to work with and that is enough. I have a 12" LMT CQB MRP piston carbine and the piston selector switch is maybe 3mm away from the AAC 51T Blackout and the can fits just fine..

usnavydoc
12-21-11, 09:23
I appreciate it..thanks man...That saves me some money!

SteveL
12-21-11, 10:47
I'm considering a suppressed SBR in the near future as well. I contacted DD and asked them if there was enough room to change the muzzle device on their MK18 and add an AAC M4-2000. This rifle has a 10.3" barrel and 9.55" handguard. They told me that it would work, but I would have to put some shims behing the 51T mount to push it a little farther out. The guy I spoke with said they have customers who do this quite often and that it's a popular combination of rifle/suppressor.

In your case with a 10.3" barrel and 9" rail, I think you would have plenty of room.

usnavydoc
12-21-11, 18:30
Well It is a Troy TRX Extreme 9 inch. Im guessing the actual specs are 9 inches. I guess it could be a bit more. Ill measure later. And I guess search the forum to see if someone has the specs posted.

If I need shims what do people use? Another crush washer? that seems thick.

SteveL
12-21-11, 19:31
Well It is a Troy TRX Extreme 9 inch. Im guessing the actual specs are 9 inches. I guess it could be a bit more. Ill measure later. And I guess search the forum to see if someone has the specs posted.

If I need shims what do people use? Another crush washer? that seems thick.

My 13" TRX Extreme rail is actually 13 1/8" according to the tape measure.

As far as shims, I'm guessing a shim kit. As I understand it you're not supposed to use a crush washer on a muzzle device if you're going to be using a suppressor with it. I don't know if this is true of all suppressors though, and I don't know why either.

Todd.K
12-21-11, 20:04
You don't need any shims with your setup.

usnavydoc
12-22-11, 08:09
You don't need any shims with your setup.

Good news..I appreciate it

viperashes
12-22-11, 08:33
My 13" TRX Extreme rail is actually 13 1/8" according to the tape measure.

As far as shims, I'm guessing a shim kit. As I understand it you're not supposed to use a crush washer on a muzzle device if you're going to be using a suppressor with it. I don't know if this is true of all suppressors though, and I don't know why either.

Because the suppressor mount muzzle device literally sits INSIDE the suppressor. Think about how hot a suppressor can get (upwards of 800*). The muzzle device super-heats inside of the can. Crush washers aren't tempered metal, they are designed to be soft and pliable under force, so the heat and pressure can cause them to weld to the barrel, among other things if they get hot enough.

SteveL
12-22-11, 10:53
Thanks for the explanation. That makes perfect sense.