PDA

View Full Version : Benelli M1S90 feeding malfunction

ASH556
12-21-11, 09:06
I just picked up my first auto shotgun, a Benelli M1S90 12ga, 3 weeks ago. I took it to the clays course and shot a round of clays (100 rds) with it and experienced the same malfunction a few times sporadically. I'm guessing it's user error, but hope you guys can help:

I put a round into the locked open action and press the bolt release button to chamber the round. I then place a secound round into the magazine tube. Upon attempting to fire the gun, all I get is a "click." It's almost as though the bolt were slightly out of battery or something. This probably happened 3-4 times over the course of the day.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

meausoc
12-22-11, 09:49
Is this a new or used Benelli, and were you shooting 1oz. loads? Sometimes there is a break in period with new Benelli's. They do not like the light promotional loads. Also do not ride the bolt when chambering a new round or loading these shotguns. Let the bolt slam shut in to battery.

Watrdawg
12-22-11, 13:03
Soounds like your right about the bolt not going completely into battery. Let it slam home and this should take care of it. You can check to make sure the bolt is in battery by seeing where the extractors are. If the are parallel to the port you are fine. If the extractor isn't parallel it isn't in full battery.

d90king
12-22-11, 13:37
Sounds like it's not going completely into battery (maybe you are riding it a bit while charging). Also remember on the M1S90's that you have to use full power loads for the most part because of their inertia based operating system.... It's not like an M4 etc... A solid shouldering is crucial for it to be reliable. Keeping it well lubricated also helps.

You can do a wolf spring upgrade which some say helps it eat lighter loads.

Mine eats anything and I wouldnt get rid of it for any other shotgun. I have a very early Hk import with the extended tube and both stocks...

They are great shotguns but sometimes have to be tweaked a bit to insure reliability. Best of luck.

rundm
01-03-12, 23:48
This, I never should have gotten rid of mine.

Sounds like it's not going completely into battery (maybe you are riding it a bit while charging). Also remember on the M1S90's that you have to use full power loads for the most part because of their inertia based operating system.... It's not like an M4 etc... A solid shouldering is crucial for it to be reliable. Keeping it well lubricated also helps.

You can do a wolf spring upgrade which some say helps it eat lighter loads.

Mine eats anything and I wouldnt get rid of it for any other shotgun. I have a very early Hk import with the extended tube and both stocks...

They are great shotguns but sometimes have to be tweaked a bit to insure reliability. Best of luck.

highxj
01-04-12, 12:29
Although I've never had it happen with mine, it sounds as though when you are chambering that first round, the bolt might be bouncing itself back 'out' of battery. Often when I pull my bolt back slightly for a chamber check, it won't return all the way with the bolt failing to rotate back into lockup. Try it and see if you can get it to 'hang' right there manually.

I think you are correct that it's not firing due to being out of battery....I would think it would have to be extremely dirty and/or bad ammo to not go fully into battery during chambering, which seems unlikely to me.