PDA

View Full Version : Bipod/Vertical Foregrip combo

Rob Pincus
12-06-07, 17:14
A student of mine is asking about these devices and I've never used one... I've also only seen a few come through courses and can't ever remember actually seeing one used (the mil guys here are rarely shooting out of a CQB context....).

So, anyone have experience with these devices and/or have recommendations. I think he's set on the idea (at least to try it out), so a reference to a quality device would be greatly appreciated.

( i did a search and didn't come up with anything, let me know if there's another thread to check...)

THanks,

RJP

Fireguy275
12-06-07, 18:25
Rob,
I recently acquired a Grippod and am pleased with it. They run around $150 new IIRC. I got one for around $100 on one of the for sale forums (there are some cheap copies not marked "Grippod" floating around that run about $50)

It has worked well when zeroing and doing prone shooting at range. I recently shot a rifle course with it (1500 rnds) and had no problems with the attachment point loosening up.

Robb Jensen
12-06-07, 18:34
I've not used one extensively but I have fired one rifle (a friends) with one and used one to go prone quickly. To me they're a little clumsy and I like a Harris bipod much better.

Some 3gun guys use them. I shoot mostly in 'tactical' division (per the rules I can't use a bipod). I use my magazine as a monopod and get really low and try to get my elbows both down on the ground for those long shots (up to 300yds).

Failure2Stop
12-07-07, 09:18
I might consider putting one on a SAW or IAW.

On a M4A1 and M16A4 I experienced no increase in capability with the Grippod over using the magazine as a monopod or a fist low/under the VFG as a monopod. The Grippod felt overly bulky and clumsy and tended to catch on things.

Meh.

I would rather have a good pair of dedicated bipods or just not bother.

Rob Pincus
12-07-07, 10:23
I agree with the sentiments about the concept in general, but I wanted to give some feedback of value if the purchase is going to be made anyway to "try it out"... I'll pass on the info.

Thanks guys.

-RJP

SinnFéinM1911
12-07-07, 10:32
Not a fan ! one word comes to mind. Hookey ! (or WizzBang)