PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Advice

agrin2005
12-21-11, 09:59
Ok so I am building my 1st Ar/M4 .. I have the lower done. Thinking about a BC 14.5 in (SOCOM) (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-14-5-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-14socom.htm) spec upper or a 16 in (SOCOM) (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-Standard-16-M4-SOCOM-Upper-Receiver-p/bcm-urg-m4-16socom.htm) spec upper.. I know that I will have to pin the flash hider on the 14.5 if I go that way. All will be carbine length. I am looking to get a suppressor for the M4 and was thinking of surefire flashider and surfire suppressor but I am hearing that the AAC might be the better way to go.. like the AAC m4-2000 with their flashhider and suppressor. I like having the option of the flash hider/ mount. I also have a mini 14 that I will also have a Gunsmith mount a matching flash hider on so that I can use the suppressor as well.

Thanks
Al

JasonM
12-21-11, 12:19
Surefire or AAC will both be absolutely awesome for your application and will both hold up pretty much no matter what you throw at them.

I will give you advice to wait 3 weeks and see what the SHOT Show brings.

agrin2005
12-21-11, 12:21
Surefire or AAC will both be absolutely awesome for your application and will both hold up pretty much no matter what you throw at them.

I have nothing but time to look and think .. I want to do this right once.

Eurodriver
12-21-11, 12:39

Word on the interwebs is you guys have something neat coming along, my only gripe is that shot releases take forever to start shipping.

markm
12-21-11, 14:04
I have nothing but time to look and think .. I want to do this right once.

Buy whichever you can find IN STOCK. Don't order.... Unless you're buying it for your grand childrens' grand children.

Jmacken37
12-29-11, 19:28
You'll be fine with a SF or AAC can. You'll be happy with whatever you get from those companies. The tax stamp cost makes re-selling a can a loosing proposition. Like JasonM, I'd wait until SHOT to see what is coming out. That being said, by the time the ATF finishes approving whatever you get, there'll be something better on the market!

Jake

agrin2005
12-29-11, 20:15
You'll be fine with a SF or AAC can. You'll be happy with whatever you get from those companies. The tax stamp cost makes re-selling a can a loosing proposition. Like JasonM, I'd wait until SHOT to see what is coming out. That being said, by the time the ATF finishes approving whatever you get, there'll be something better on the market!

Jake

Thanks man..

motoduck
12-30-11, 05:58
Buy whichever you can find IN STOCK. Don't order.... Unless you're buying it for your grand childrens' grand children.

Good advice!
Wait for the SHOT show, see above. Nothing will be instock until mid year at best. SF and AAC both make great products. Make a list of what you want from a can then check out the many published "tests" to make a decision.

Think time line. Purchase an instock can from a Maryland dealer (cash upfront) Maryland paper work/CLEO sign off (currently 1-3 months), Send in Fed paper work (currently 3-5 months), take delivery of can. If you buy an instock can today your best case is delivery in May but my experience says it will be longer. Good luck shopping.

markm
12-30-11, 07:05
Yeah... I got life sucked waiting for a can from AAC. The good thing was that they sent the serial number in advance. The ATF papers were done before the can even shipped to the dealer. :cool:

m249saw
12-30-11, 16:08
Which is why I drove the 3.5 hours to get my SPR/M4 from Gun Gallery of Jax.

As is was it was 5 months on the ATF to clear my stamp, tack on 3-4 weeks more for a form 3 to my local SOT.

Pappabear
01-01-12, 20:08

That shit is funny, AND TRUE

SC-Texas
01-03-12, 11:26
Yeah... I got life sucked waiting for a can from AAC. The good thing was that they sent the serial number in advance. The ATF papers were done before the can even shipped to the dealer. :cool:

Stuff like this scares the hell out of me as a dealer. I know one dealer who did this same thing, but the can never arrived, then the ATF audited the manufacturer and the can had never been built.

Every body had a shit fit, mostly the ATF.

markm
01-03-12, 11:35
Stuff like this scares the hell out of me as a dealer. I know one dealer who did this same thing, but the can never arrived, then the ATF audited the manufacturer and the can had never been built.

Every body had a shit fit, mostly the ATF.

Yeah. It was weird and it worked out for me... but I doubt I'd do it again.... Just because I'd only buy an in stock can

Eurodriver
01-03-12, 12:13
Yeah. It was weird and it worked out for me... but I doubt I'd do it again.... Just because I'd only buy an in stock can

In stock meaning in stock from an out of state dealer or in stock from an in state dealer?

I had a Form 3 take two months... :suicide2:

markm
01-03-12, 12:54
In stock meaning in stock from an out of state dealer or in stock from an in state dealer?

I had a Form 3 take two months... :suicide2:

In state... where you can actually touch it with your own hands! :)

Eurodriver
01-03-12, 16:48

Lucky for you! Local dealers charge OVER MSRP and they charge a $100 transfer fee on top of that (Yeah, a transfer fee for an in stock can.)

If my local dealers weren't so shady, I'm sure I'd order in stock as well ;)

rundm
01-03-12, 21:52
I learned this the hard way. They said it would be in no later than 1-2 weeks. What they meant was 4 months and pay in advance.

rundm
01-03-12, 21:53
double tap

bigc3031
01-04-12, 12:20
I was in contact with Surefire a couple weeks ago and they stated their current lead time is 12-15 weeks on can orders.

scottryan
01-04-12, 14:39

That may be difficult depending on where you live.

No NFA dealer in NE stocks AAC, Surefire, or KAC.