PDA

View Full Version : Woodland MARPAT FROG (budget) source??

Bob-USMC
12-21-11, 10:56
Does anybody know where I can get a set of these without having to fork over $350-$550?
I am currently enlisted, so I have credentials to buy from a supplier like propper, but what they are asking is simply unreasonable. My unit won't issue the stuff unless we need it for unit functions and I'd like to have some for carbine courses/ competitions. If you are going to ask "why don't you just use cammies?" my answer is because I like the FROG suit better :D
My size is Medium Reg if anyone has leads. Much appreciated!

товарищ
12-21-11, 11:32
Well, then you're probably going to be paying that price for Woodland. You can find tons of Desert FROG uniforms on eBay for a cheap price. You probably won't be able to find them in Woodland for less than $200.

jsummers
12-21-11, 13:21
If you want them just to look cool, then you're going to pay for them. If you want to "train as you fight", then get a used desert FROGs and use the money you save on something that really matters, like ammo, classes, etc.

Mike Miller
12-21-11, 15:09
Wear some jeans and a shirt. Don't wear cammies outside of work.

Bob-USMC
12-21-11, 15:37
Wear some jeans and a shirt. Don't wear cammies outside of work.

I may end up going that route.
But let me say this: Everyone knows the regs for the appropriate wear of cammies. But be they what they may, don't you think a carbine course/ off duty training is just a little bit different then rocking them to the mall?
If a marine were spending his hard earned money on some quality personal kit that could double some spare duty gear, I'd call that smart, and I wouldn't be the one to "call him out" at a range or other training event. Wearing cammies out in town is just plain unprofessional, but I think anyone who would call out somebody at a private range for running the same gear he's used to has a serious lack of judgement skills.
It would be no different than buying a set of Crye's combat top and bottom, but here I have the added benefit having something I might actually have the possibility of using vs. something that will only see range time once or twice a month.
Also, typically, you can pick up surplus stuff for cheaper than what crye or others charge.
Just my $0.02

Littlelebowski
12-21-11, 15:44
Why do you need cammies for training? I use jeans.

Bob-USMC
12-21-11, 15:55
Why do you need cammies for training? I use jeans.

Personal preference, I prefer the feel of poly cotton and modacrylic to that of denim. Lately I've been using some of Crye's field pants, but I've had em for about 4 years and they're getting a little run down. That, and it's been my personal experience that jeans are a little to low cut and don't give me as much flexibility in the crotch or hips.

товарищ
12-21-11, 16:01
I may end up going that route.
But let me say this: Everyone knows the regs for the appropriate wear of cammies. But be they what they may, don't you think a carbine course/ off duty training is just a little bit different then rocking them to the mall?
If a marine were spending his hard earned money on some quality personal kit that could double some spare duty gear, I'd call that smart, and I wouldn't be the one to "call him out" at a range or other training event. Wearing cammies out in town is just plain unprofessional, but I think anyone who would call out somebody at a private range for running the same gear he's used to has a serious lack of judgement skills.
It would be no different than buying a set of Crye's combat top and bottom, but here I have the added benefit having something I might actually have the possibility of using vs. something that will only see range time once or twice a month.
Also, typically, you can pick up surplus stuff for cheaper than what crye or others charge.
Just my $0.02

There's nothing wrong with training like you fight, that's why we're all here. It might draw some attention toward you, though.

Here's Travis Haley yelling at a Marine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Imgg8K2H4&feature=player_embedded

Also, there's no point in having FROG gear at the range unless the instructors are going to immolate you.

Jaysop
12-21-11, 16:02
Solid color BDUs? I can understand why you wouldn't wear your issue cammies. I don't like putting a beacon on myself like that.

Bob-USMC
12-21-11, 17:20
There's nothing wrong with training like you fight, that's why we're all here. It might draw some attention toward you, though.

Here's Travis Haley yelling at a Marine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9Imgg8K2H4&feature=player_embedded

Also, there's no point in having FROG gear at the range unless the instructors are going to immolate you.

That's pretty funny, and that's a good point about the frog gear, but I'm more concerned with the pattern and, for lack of better terms, the "feel" of the material. The fact that it's flame resistant is just a bonus. The bottom line is, I'm looking for something that I'm familiar with. I saw the woodland pattern stuff surface and that peaked my interest, but if there's none to be had for less than $350, then it's no sweat off my back, I'll just keep to what I'm using.

Littlelebowski
12-21-11, 17:23
That's pretty funny, and that's a good point about the frog gear, but I'm more concerned with the pattern and, for lack of better terms, the "feel" of the material. The fact that it's flame resistant is just a bonus. The bottom line is, I'm looking for something that I'm familiar with. I saw the woodland pattern stuff surface and that peaked my interest, but if there's none to be had for less than $350, then it's no sweat off my back, I'll just keep to what I'm using.

You don't need this shit to train and seem to be making excuses for when you inevitably get devil-dogged. Familiar with the "feel of the material?". Come on, man. You're rationalizing.

Bob-USMC
12-21-11, 17:34
Solid t-shirt and jeans it is then... wouldn't want to get devil-dogged :lol:

cop1211
12-21-11, 19:11
Buy what you feel is most comfortable and what you want.

Who gives a rats ass what anyone thinks.

Littlelebowski
12-21-11, 19:19

You don't understand being devil-dogged. It's a stupid Marine thing.

cop1211
12-21-11, 19:27
You don't understand being devil-dogged. It's a stupid Marine thing.

Ummm. Yea I do see my sig line thingy? Also such escapades take place quite frequently in the police department confines, it is especially encouraged during SWAT training.:D

Littlelebowski
12-21-11, 19:32
Ummm. Yea I do see my sig line thingy?

I actually have my profile set not to display sigs but I get you.

Bob-USMC
12-21-11, 19:59
I just think it's funny how a conversation that started with looking for a bargain on some quality gear turned into a pissing contest with the "correct-yourself" crowd.

Seriously, I asked where to purchase a technical garment. I don't give a rat's ass if it's not "cleared hot" that I run MARPAT gear at a private range that I am a member of.

товарищ and jsummers, thanks for the input
Littlelebowski, you make some good points
cop1211, right on

I'll continue my search else wear... maybe I'll walk down to the local surplus store in my cammies with a blue tooth in my ear, my hands in my pockets, no cover, shave or haircut, and my boots unbloused.:eek: Get a grip!

cop1211
12-21-11, 21:12
I just think it's funny how a conversation that started with looking for a bargain on some quality gear turned into a pissing contest with the "correct-yourself" crowd.

Seriously, I asked where to purchase a technical garment. I don't give a rat's ass if it's not "cleared hot" that I run MARPAT gear at a private range that I am a member of.

cop1211, right on

I'll continue my search else wear... maybe I'll walk down to the local surplus store in my cammies with a blue tooth in my ear, my hands in my pockets, no cover, shave or haircut, and my boots unbloused.:eek: Get a grip!

Don't do that,someone might mistake you for an Airman!:D

Littlelebowski
12-21-11, 21:24
As I recall it from circa 2004; so long as your name tapes aren't on there, you are fine according to the Marine Corps order. That being said, I wouldn't do it.

Bob-USMC
12-21-11, 21:39

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder...

lawusmc0844
12-22-11, 01:45
Lol just had to respond because I was there myself (in fact trying to type up the AAR, its taking me a while!) That was T3, there were 3 of us Marines, I don't know him but he was a buddy of my buddy, and I'm sure he's a reservist! Yes it was hilarious that he forgot to reload and even more hilarious they posted that on Youtube! (You'll see me in a few frames ;)) However, the 3 of us are NCOs, not boots and we've each been to Afghanistan and Iraq at least once.

Anyway to the OP, I am still active duty myself, and I got no problem with Marines wearing what they are issued for ranges and courses like that, as long as they don't act stupid and portray the Marine Corps in a negative light. I wore a green flight suit just because I don't have woodland FROG myself, its green season and yes FROG is so much more comfortable than standard NYCO cammies. I also wore my FROG suit for a LMS Defense carbine course at the same range months before right after I got back from Afghan because the way I see it, TRAIN LIKE YOU FIGHT! I bring civies with me anyway so its not like I'm going to 7-11 getting a slurpee still wearing my shit at the end of the day!

And my buddy that was filming that actually wore a custom woodland FROG suit modified by Ares Armor. Not exactly sure what they did but looks like they replaced the existing sleeves from a regular FROG blouse with sleeves from used woodland cammie blouses. If you're also at Pendleton, you should stop by the store and talk to them they might actually make one for you.

R0N
12-22-11, 03:42

Well if you are active duty, and the Marine Corps is not paying for the training, it is in effect wearing your cammies while conducting leave and liberty activities.

Not that big of a deal, but still points to some other issues.

R0N
12-22-11, 03:45
The reasons you don't want to wear FROGs during training, especially training the government is not paying for aside from the whole regulation against it, is they are not the toughest uniform in the world and the get torn up easily. They are meant as PPE items and unlike flight suites seem to start ripping in a week or so of usage.

R0N
12-22-11, 03:52

cop1211, right on

And this is why I&Is often think that the 10 percent is larger than 10 percent in the SMCR.

Shoot 1st
12-22-11, 16:14

Off we go, into the wild blue yonder...

Funny, too bad I never heard any of that when I would attach to your unit.

Littlelebowski
12-22-11, 16:42
Funny, too bad I never heard any of that when I would attach to your unit.

Don't take this shit seriously, dude.

Keydet08
12-22-11, 17:29
If you are on a private range I don't think it's a big deal to bust out the MARPAT. Just don't act like an idiot while doing it. I busted out the frog gear for the LAV CQB class at USTC because I have 8 sets of them that would otherwise probably never get worn again. That and the paint from sesams rounds being all over the walls. That being said if I'm not wearing body armor running around a shoot house I just wear civies. There is a fine line between using issued stuff because it's convenient and appropriate for the task at hand, or just looking like a Geiger tiger.

cop1211
12-22-11, 21:40
Geiger Tiger, havent heard that in 22 years!:lol:

TehLlama
12-23-11, 03:01
If there is a need to fabricate a psuedo FROG blouse in woodland, just get one of the cheap XGO green shirts, redneck tuxedo it, and take it to a sewing shop to install some sleeves on it. Works, but not the sexiest.

That said, just go tacticool civvies for your use - you may still look like a toolbag wearing OD green cargo pants in the same material with a random polo shirt, but it isn't that far off what you're actually going to use, it's more comfortable, and you can stop places to and from.

I've never felt bad or given a crap about wearing a utility uniform in any valuable training environment, then again it's been years since I've cared in any useful way about stupid regulations.

I figure it makes more sense to blend in just to minimize visibility, especially if you have a rough couple days and turn out to be 'that guy' in the class.