PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs 1903A3.

C-grunt
12-21-11, 13:28
Does anyone have experience with these rifles? The 500 dollar synthetic stock models seem like they would be a great shooter and trunk gun.

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a3_rifles.html

ralph
12-23-11, 15:47
Does anyone have experience with these rifles? The 500 dollar synthetic stock models seem like they would be a great shooter and trunk gun.

http://www.gibbsrifle.com/1903-a3_rifles.html

No personal experience, But I do remember reading that these are supposedly built using former parade rifles, that had the barrels plugged,and tack welded to the receivers and the cut off was welded.Now, how much of that is true, I don't know.They are supposed to be reheat treated after any machining is done to the receiver.. I have no idea what barrels they're using or where they're getting the parts to assemble them. A couple of years ago when Gibbs brought out their '03A4 sniper, The chinese firm that made the scope got the elevation and windage turrets mixed up and were oppsite of what they were supposed to be..Frankly, I'd keep my eyes open for a CMP rifle, even if it had a bad barrel, you can still get new '03 '03A3 barrels from the CMP, and you know you have a good receiver to start with.I'd rather have that, than one of Gibb's creations . I'd do some more research first, before I buy...

TXBSAFH
12-24-11, 06:49
I have been wanting one for a while/

sgtrock82
12-28-11, 13:50
Synthetic stocks? Are they suppose to be vintage? If so, AFAIK those stocks were made for drill and ceremony purposes as a cheap durable replacement. Im not saying it cant be shot, but I dont know if the stock was designed with shooting in mind and may not firmly hold the action. Quite possibly making accuracy suck. So I think some research into the stock is warranted. Id also search for some testimonial from an owner of these. If its an 03A3 you want, I suggest doing the research or picking a lesser one up at a show for a little more $, might get lucky and find one for $500 or less. If its just a trunk gun you seek there are lots of other surplus rifles available for a lot less $$