PDA

View Full Version : Don't Forget The Sewing "Kit"

12-21-11, 13:39
Just received some German military surplus wool blankets. Excellent quality. Washed and hung over railings to dry. Noticed a small area where edging around the blanket had started to come off. 10min. with a needle and thread and good as new.

If I had been in the brush, without ability to repair, probably would be beginning of end for blanket. Same would go for clothes; a little thread and a needle can keep clothes wearable for exended lengths if need be.

All it has to be is a couple of different needles and some quality, high-tensile strength thread. Could really save your/family members ass. Weight is neglible based on the usefullness of the item.

If you cannot do simple sewing, you need to learn. This is a basic skill that anyone calling themselves a prepper should be able to perform.

ryan
12-21-11, 13:43
Braided fishing line (think Spyderwire) makes awesome thread. It has other uses and most is camo colored so its good for trip wires, snares, fishing (duh).

chavez_e_chavez
12-21-11, 17:52
fishing line is a plus!!!! plus a big needle

NC_DAVE
12-21-11, 21:51
I use dental floss for my sowing kits. I have also used floss to reapir bottons on several of my work uniforms.

I would rather save fishing line for other purposes, but thats just me.

ryan
12-21-11, 22:37
I use dental floss for my sowing kits. I have also used floss to reapir bottons on several of my work uniforms.

I would rather save fishing line for other purposes, but thats just me.

Every time I spool up a reel there is 20-30 feet left over. That is not enough for much except thread, impromptu cane pole or aforementioned uses.

ST911
12-21-11, 22:51
Take a ball point pen, lay a needle along the barrel of it, then wrap a desirable length of thread over the top. Tape around it, and put the pen in your pocket/pack/go-bag.

I've used this method for years, and its saved me in a variety of places away from home.