PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out World War 2 Medals & Ribbons

kaltesherz
12-21-11, 15:18
I need help figuring out my girlfriends grandfathers World War II awards. He passed away 10 years ago but we want to give her father his dads medals in a shadowbox, so I'm trying to put them together the best way I can. Yeah, I know, it's a bit of a stretch, but we know a bit of his history so I'm pretty sure with your help we can get it pretty close. Here's his info:
Infantryman (Mortars) enlisted 1942
Served with the 16th Inf Reg of the 1st ID (unknown Battalion)
Invaded North Africa (where he was captured by the Germans in Battle of the Kasserine Pass, but was freed by the Brits before his prison ship could escape) , Italy, and yes, you guessed it, Omaha beach at Normandy, where he was severely wounded by a mortar shell. He spent the rest of the war recuperating and was discharged as a Sergent in 1946. Yeah, he was a total ****ing badass.

This what I think he's got
Combat Infantryman Badge (duh)
Bronze Star (post-war given to everyone with a CIB)
Good Conduct Ribbon
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (with 3 arrowheads and god knows how many stars)
French Liberation Medal
Prisoner Of War Medal (didn't exist until 1985 but retroactive)

Any help would be greatly appriciated, thanks!

MistWolf
12-21-11, 15:50
Your best place to start is with the local American Legion and/or VFW

SeriousStudent
12-21-11, 21:03
I would start here:

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/

If the family has any sort of identifying paperwork, it will help get you started. Exact dates he entered or left service, service numbers, Social Security numbers, home town, things like that.

It took a while, but we were able to track down my father's records. I never knew he had received a Silver Star until after he passed away.

And if you have a Michael's store near you, they have shadow boxes for both folded American flags and awards.

Thank you for doing such a kind thing for a deceased warrior.

kaltesherz
12-22-11, 00:35
Thanks for the help guys, we have his service number so that should be a big help.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
12-22-11, 00:47
Wish I could help, but I cant. Sounds like he was quite the man, with an amazing time spent in the service.