PDA

View Full Version : Are Guns and Ammo the New Gold and Silver?

R.P.
12-21-11, 15:43
Interesting article and pictorial that I thought I would post here:

http://www.shtfplan.com/precious-metals/are-guns-and-ammo-the-new-gold-and-silver_12212011

cbyrd556
12-21-11, 16:49
Seeing the graphic they have on there really makes you're head spin on the rise in cost of well everything. Thanks for the post. Ammunition is one thing you cannot have enough of IMO.

PA PATRIOT
12-21-11, 17:51
I'm against using ammunition as a form of currency or trade do to the fact of "Why would I want to supply others with a means to attack me".

If they are that unprepared not having adequate vital supplies in the first place which forces them to trade what limited resources they have then what happens should the event be of extended duration and those some persons later decide they want to take what I have by force using the ammunition I just traded to them.

Basically I don't want anyone to know what I have and how much of same. Doing so will just cause you problems down the road as things deteriorate.

Now I would truly have to be hard up needing something so badly that it was a matter of life or death to make a exception. Such as paying a doctor for medical care or a craftsmen to build a badly needed item.

12-21-11, 19:09
I am not giving/trading/selling anyone guns, ammo, or weapons of any kind. This person may be fine until the situation lengthens out, and then he/she and some friends may use that same ammo/weapon against you.

Swstock
12-21-11, 22:57
I am not giving/trading/selling anyone guns, ammo, or weapons of any kind. This person may be fine until the situation lengthens out, and then he/she and some friends may use that same ammo/weapon against you.

I never thought of it that way.

Dave L.
12-21-11, 23:33
No, they are not the new Gold and Silver. Gold and Silver are still and will always be the Gold and Silver.

Buying a bunch of guns and ammo is great as long as you still have a "real life" investment strategy. If you convince yourself that you will be rich based on the amount of bullets you have, you may retire extremely poor when life proceeds at a slightly more volatile pace for the next 80 years.

R.P.
12-22-11, 06:59

Agree.

R.P.
12-22-11, 07:03
No, they are not the new Gold and Silver. Gold and Silver are still and will always be the Gold and Silver.

I have no plans of getting rid of any of this anyhere in the near future either.

Zhurdan
12-22-11, 09:00

I'd give them some... unfortunately, it'd probably be at a much higher velocity than they'd prefer.:D

The other thing is, once they know you have it, they may come to see if you have more.

SuperiorDG
12-22-11, 09:14
I think one would safer trading boos, tobacco and coffee. I think gold, silver and ammo are overrated as barter items. I'm sure banks will take the gold and silver for your mortgage and loan payments, but that may be about it. Ammo is limited to those that have the guns that match. But boos, tobacco and coffee will have a much broader market.

PA PATRIOT
12-22-11, 09:24
Just too add to my above post is that once word gets out you have supplies for trade the unprepared will swamp your location looking for handouts since it will appear you have more then you need at the moment. Make the mistake and help them out then you will have a welfare camp on your door step.

Second gangs who take by force will target you for what you have.

Loose lips sink Ships as the old saying goes, but it this case it can kill you.

Blstr88
12-22-11, 14:48
I agree with a lot thats been said here.

I think the only ammo I would trade would be .22 LR, and I'd charge quite the hefty price. Any silver/gold people might have they'd be happy to part with in a time of need...having a few bricks of .22 could make you quite the wealthy person at the end of any serious disaster.

While .22 could certainly be used to attack other people, I would be less concerned about someone attacking my place with my own ammo if all I gave them was .22. For all they know a few bricks of .22 LR is all I have in the house and Im a no better target than anyone else.

Trading any larger caliber centerfire ammo would only be done if I DESPERATELY needed something, and even then I wouldnt give anyone hundreds of rounds of anything.

Clint
12-23-11, 22:37
When someone asks, I tell them to invest in precious metals...

...copper, brass & lead

train of abuses
12-25-11, 22:42
I wouldn't do it to replace gold and silver investing -- despite what the liar Bernake said, precious metals like gold have been considered money in economic history for thousands of years for a reason -- but what I like about ammo as a supplement is that it is far easier to use for small transactions. If the US ever does get to a point where our currency collapses and/or we have rationing leading to a black market, then it would be very wise to have plenty of small value items for barter whether it is ammo, food, water bottles, over the counter medical supplies, etc. Mediums of exchange can be all sorts of things depending on what the situation calls for -- I am sure everyone has heard the stories about chocolate bars being the main form of exchange in POW camps, or how cigarettes are usually considered "money" in most prisons.

For those who say silver fits that description, it may right now, but the value of precious metals absolutely skyrockets in every historical case I am aware of when a currency collapses, so there is no way silver would have the same relative purchasing power via barter that it does now.

Of course, I would stock up on long term storage food and water above ammo, but ammo in a few common calibers like 22, 9mm, 556, 308, 12 gauge, etc would certainly come in handy one day. The worst case scenario is if nothing bad ever happens you can always enjoy shooting it!

Then again, others have made good points about not letting the word out that you even have plenty of food/water/ammo/etc. Just the other day, a relative of mine was telling me how her friend has a house up in the mountains with months and months worth of supplies. I was actually thinking at the time what a huge, huge mistake it was for those people to let anyone know about it. If things get really bad, the sharks will be going to places like that first.