PDA

View Full Version : Who is doing custom nylon?

Armati
12-21-11, 21:36
I am looking for a guy to do a couple of custom nylon projects. I think John Willis still does some but I am not sure I want to pay his prices. Tactical Tailor use to some projects but I am not sure what they do now.

Right now I want a sort of travel duffle with external pockets and a plate carrier of my own design.

oef24
12-21-11, 23:09
Do not hesitate to look up www.usgruntgear.com.

O

pmarc
12-22-11, 06:54
have a look at the diytactical.com forums.

Some nice people over there, many are vets/current mil.

Apricotshot
12-22-11, 07:02
have a look at the diytactical.com forums.

Some nice people over there, many are vets/current mil.

He stopped doing custom orders as of June 2011. Couldn't keep up with orders apparently.

deadlyfire
12-22-11, 07:17
I am looking for a guy to do a couple of custom nylon projects. I think John Willis still does some but I am not sure I want to pay his prices. Tactical Tailor use to some projects but I am not sure what they do now.

Right now I want a sort of travel duffle with external pockets and a plate carrier of my own design.

Tactical Tailor still does custom jobs.

Ares Armor does custom work
HSGI does custom work.
I *believe* CSM will
Original SOE I believe also does some.
Emdom too.

pmarc
12-22-11, 07:42
He stopped doing custom orders as of June 2011. Couldn't keep up with orders apparently.

I haven't been there for a while, but there are several people in their forums that do. That's what I meant.

calicojack
12-22-11, 11:18
check with joel zaruba (sp?) of zulu tactical. he used to do custom work. with his production ramping up with all the ITS Tactical orders he's doing, i'm not sure if he's doing custom anymore.

If you do go to diytactialforums, don't bother contacting flight or fight (owner's name is mike) as he's a huge douche. Had a really bad experience with him. the incident is posted there so you can research it if you so choose.

eta: Nevermind. to limit cross forum drama i'll only say that my posts have been deleted including the above mentioned thread; and i won't go into further details regarding my experience unless pm'ed about it.

militarymoron
12-22-11, 12:24
don't forget chris of down range gear:
http://downrangegear.wordpress.com/

emdom used to do some custom work, but now it's done only if the order is large enough to justify the time/effort.

EzGoingKev
12-22-11, 16:35
Eggroll does stuff and is a member here.

Travelingchild
12-22-11, 22:47
...of custom nylon projects....\but I am not sure I want to pay his prices.
Not addressing you directly but more specifically the "custom../..prices" part.
Please bear in mind commercial sewing machines are expensive. While the average man may see simply a machine & a couple of yards of nylon.
Making a custom design, work in the manufacture process is time consuming plus the set up time etc.
At one time I had over 10 grand in industrial machines( that's only 4 sewing machines)
My speciality was customizing climbing gear I was incredible anal & picky, Why? because if I screwed up Chances are the End user would get Hurt or Die. That attitude carried over to anything I sewed with regard to quality Including packs or just a Custom duffle bag.

Apologies for the thread drift.

Armati
12-22-11, 23:52
don't forget chris of down range gear:
http://downrangegear.wordpress.com/

emdom used to do some custom work, but now it's done only if the order is large enough to justify the time/effort.

Thanks. He also has some other links that look interesting. Anyone know about these guys:

http://custombulletproofbodyarmorcarrier.blogspot.com/
http://www.octactical.com/Main.html
http://www.stsgear.com/

deadlyfire
12-23-11, 01:08
Custom gear runs at a premium. Anyone who doesn't realize that should really think about what their asking the shop to do for them.

Don Robison
12-23-11, 01:25
Thanks. He also has some other links that look interesting. Anyone know about these guys:

http://custombulletproofbodyarmorcarrier.blogspot.com/

Beez is good stuff. I've had him do a couple of custom slick carriers for me. He does quality work and doesn't take 6 months to get it to you.

Armati
12-23-11, 10:16
Beez is good stuff. I've had him do a couple of custom slick carriers for me. He does quality work and doesn't take 6 months to get it to you.

Ballpark, what did that run you? That is pretty much what I am looking for. I have gone back and forth with mounting gear on the vest and have settled back on slick armor with a gun belt and LBV when required. The biggest problem I find with all of the available slick carriers is the lack of an internal cummerbund. I think the soft side armor should be put in the internal cummerbund. The shoulder straps should connect to the body side of the vest to improve the air flow and to get the plate away from your chin/neck.

I would also like a vest that can carry large BALCS soft armor under XL plates. It would also need an internal cummerbund with a soft armor pocket.

Travelingchild - No, I get it. I have known a few Riggers in my time and I am well aware of what a commercial sewing machine costs - not to mention the time of a skilled operator. My wife is an artists and one of her biggest gripes is she will spend have the night drawing up a concept based on the clients specs, then, when she presents it to the client they want to change everything.

I have a very good idea of what I want done. I have worn enough kit over the years to know what I like and dislike. It would seem that my best bet would be to draw up my own concept on garment pattern paper and send it out to several makers for bid. I will defer to their profession judgement to work out the fine details.

deadlyfire
12-23-11, 10:38
Armati,

Vel-tye handles made-to-order balcs carriers. (you can specify sizes of plate pockets and soft armor inserts)

I've handled one of their carriers and I liked it.

subzero
12-23-11, 16:53
Armati,

Vel-tye handles made-to-order balcs carriers. (you can specify sizes of plate pockets and soft armor inserts)

I've handled one of their carriers and I liked it.

Vel-tye made me a custom carrier earlier this year. Turn around was very quick, pricing was very reasonable and I've been happy with the product since I got it. I don't recall the last time I had a custom piece of gear made where it came out sooner than expected, I paid less than I thought I would AND I liked it on delivery.

Call them!

Don Robison
12-23-11, 18:57
Ballpark, what did that run you? That is pretty much what I am looking for. I have gone back and forth with mounting gear on the vest and have settled back on slick armor with a gun belt and LBV when required. The biggest problem I find with all of the available slick carriers is the lack of an internal cummerbund. I think the soft side armor should be put in the internal cummerbund. The shoulder straps should connect to the body side of the vest to improve the air flow and to get the plate away from your chin/neck.

I would also like a vest that can carry large BALCS soft armor under XL plates. It would also need an internal cummerbund with a soft armor pocket.

Travelingchild - No, I get it. I have known a few Riggers in my time and I am well aware of what a commercial sewing machine costs - not to mention the time of a skilled operator. My wife is an artists and one of here biggest gripes she will spend have the night drawing up a concept based on the clients specs, then, when she presents it to the client they want to change everything.

I have a very good idea of what I want done. I have worn enough kit over the years to know what I like and dislike. It would seem that my best bet would be to draw up my own concept on garment pattern paper and send it out to several makers for bid. I will defer to their profession judgement to work out the fine details.

It's been a couple of years, but I want to say is was around $150ish in multicam.