PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions: $150 for supplies at Wal-Mart/Sam's Club

Boy Scout
12-22-11, 07:43
Due to a very generous early Christmas gift, I have $150 worth of gift cards to be used at Wal-Mart or Sam's Club. I'm looking for suggestions from the brain trust on maximizing my investment in supplies. There are no stipulations, other than having to spend the money at those locations, or their respective websites.

I am leaning towards putting all or most of it towards long-term storage foodstuffs, as I am pretty well set on other gear and equipment, and have a decent short-term (+/- 30 days) supply of food.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Blstr88
12-22-11, 09:23
Definitely food!

PA PATRIOT
12-22-11, 09:30
I would suggest to get the biggest bang for your buck and bypass high cost freeze dried foods and buy bulk can goods and pasta/rice/beans. Vacuum pack the pasta/rice/beans and you will be good for the next three and a half to four years when the greatest danger of a economic collapse may occur.

Boy Scout
12-22-11, 10:17
I'm in that line of thinking Phila. I wasn't really considering anything like Mountain House, simply due to their cost, but I had neglected to think of packing my own food with a Food Saver or similar. (H/T to you sir!) I was already thinking of the bulk food and some other canned goods. Probably some medical supplies and some .22 ammo as well.

Gatorbait
12-22-11, 11:53
From Samsclub, I like to get the sleeves of Members Mark canned chicken, boxes of Idaho instant spuds. bulk surgar, salt, rice and beans, the 3 jug case of bleach, and a couple of flats of the Progresso soups.

And of course another bundle of TP....never enough TP.....

gb

shua713
12-22-11, 12:48
I would either buy pinto beans and rice, or they just started selling an ammo can with 420rds of 556 m855 for 150 dollars.

Moose-Knuckle
12-23-11, 04:30
Depends on your needs.

I actually get everything from lamp oil to wet ones at Wally world for the cache. Sam's is great for stocking up on rice/beans, cased canned foods, etc.

k9barco
12-23-11, 06:40
or they just started selling an ammo can with 420rds of 556 m855 for 150 dollars.

Where are they selling m855 in 420 rd cans?

Just a Jarhead
12-23-11, 06:49
Where are they selling m855 in 420 rd cans?

Here for $149 http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/223-556-penetrator-ammo

here for $159 http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=44665/Product/5-56mm-M855-RIFLE-AMMUNITION-AMMO-CAN

k9barco
12-23-11, 06:52
I can find it online; I was just wondering if Walmart was selling M855, but thanks for the reply...

tpd223
12-23-11, 08:32
I have seen M855 on sale at several Wal Marts, mostly down in Arkansas. I have not seen any locally though.

PA PATRIOT
12-23-11, 11:17
I would base your food stores around what your family currently eats but try to keep those selections to items which can be eaten cold out the the packaging if need be. Cheap and simple is your best bet and lay in as much as you funds will allow.

Don't forget about dedicated water for cooking needs also.

slickdj96
12-23-11, 11:46
I've just recently started storing food and supplies. A little camp stove is a great idea and it can be used long term provided you have enough little propane canisters. Clean drinking water IMO will be the hardest thing to keep on hand as it takes up the most space and can be difficult to get in a SHTF scenario. Also medication especially antibiotics should be stored, many pet stored sell antibiotics that people can use in emergencies. I know that sounds crazy but its no different that buying generic ibuprofen rather than Advil.

shua713
12-23-11, 13:23
I can find it online; I was just wondering if Walmart was selling M855, but thanks for the reply...

My wal mart just started selling it. I bought one a week ago. They said that they are all gonna be selling them, but they get them in limited quanities

kris
12-29-11, 16:33
Cigarettes and alcohol. Not for you (unless you partake) but they make great bartering items.

Gramps
12-29-11, 18:52
Cigarettes and alcohol. Not for you (unless you partake) but they make great bartering items.

I like that: Think Outside The Box. Never know what you/others might die for. Er, want real bad.

kris
12-29-11, 21:09
I like that: Think Outside The Box. Never know what you/others might die for. Er, want real bad.

I thought of this one after seeing how much a pack of smokes, or can of chew could go for in the military. Unfortunately the shelf life is in the 1-2 year range.

Alcohol obviously last longer and could possibly have other uses, but that thought was added in by my wife.

duece71
12-30-11, 06:57
Canned goods, Alcohol (not just for consumption) Medical supplies (bandaids, gauze, tape etc...) Ammo.