PDA

View Full Version : Myspace

Al U. 5811
12-07-07, 00:52
Time to fess up. How many of you have a Myspace account?

For me it is a good way to keep in touch with the Marines that worked for me in various locations and friends from all over.

Trim2L
12-07-07, 01:14
Just say no.

unknownsailor
12-07-07, 02:48
Myspace is blocked on most DoD networks, as is youtube. Access overseas will probably be via cybercafe.

M4arc
12-07-07, 06:54
Not me. I guess I'm either too old to get it or too busy to care.

At my last job myspace, facebook and you tube were tapping out our bandwidth so we had to put certain "restrictions" on those websites. And it was amazing; the same month we did that our Virginia Beach sales team made budget!

Go figure.

9x19
12-07-07, 09:18
I agree with M4arc's statement above. I don't get it either.

5pins
12-07-07, 11:43
I don’t get the whole Myspace thing. I also don’t understand having a damn cell phone stuck to my ear all the time.

C4IGrant
12-07-07, 12:05
Don't have one.

C4

Jay Cunningham
12-07-07, 12:13
No F'ing way.

I use my real name with pm's and email but I am not particularly keen with having it (worse yet, a picture of me!) out on the DramaNet...

rob_s
12-07-07, 12:20
I have one, as does my girlfriend, and in fact that is how we met over two years ago. When I was actually active on it 2.5-3 years ago it was a great way to meet women and re-connect with old friends from high school and college.

All of the media attention seems to have changed the public perception of it and made it more "crowded".

Backyard Outfitters has one too
http://www.myspace.com/operatorgrade

sgtlmj
12-07-07, 12:30
We recently went on a guided tour of Europe and most of the folks on the tour were on Facebook. It's a good way to stay in touch, but I see it consuming peoples lives.

K.L. Davis
12-07-07, 13:37
What's Myspace?

KWACKERB279
12-07-07, 14:44
If by myspace you mean myspace, well then yes, I have A myspace, its in the form of a 12' x 14' room with a lock on the door and lots of guns and accessories in it:D

Voodoochild
12-07-07, 17:17
What's Myspace?

Holy crap K.L what rock have you been hiding under?

R1pper
12-07-07, 18:52
Don't have one.

Man if Grant had one that would have made my day:D. Maybe its jsut me but I would have laughed hard if he had a myspace. As far as me having one I have to give in and admit I have one. but as other posters have mentioned its a great way to keep in touch with friends in the military and ones that have moved away.

-DM-

Dport
12-07-07, 19:28
What's Myspace?

I really wish I could say the same.

My best friend's sister "gets it." Of course, she's about a decade younger than we are. She says it's great for staying in touch with friends. I say it's a great way to invite stalkers.

I have a group on my .mac account for the people I keep in touch with from points past. Of course you have to be invited to it to know the url and you have to have a login and password to gain access. So it's a bit different than myspace.

John_Wayne777
12-07-07, 19:35
No F'ing way.

I use my real name with pm's and email but I am not particularly keen with having it (worse yet, a picture of me!) out on the DramaNet...

Aww....come on, buddy.....you're not that bad looking.....

John_Wayne777
12-07-07, 19:38
My best friend's sister "gets it." Of course, she's about a decade younger than we are. She says it's great for staying in touch with friends. I say it's a great way to invite stalkers.

That's because you are one of those "paranoid" self-defense types. :D

Really, folks? What's the worst that can happen from putting all sorts of personal info on a site any idiot with an internet connection can access 24/7??

Incidentally, the best use of Facebook I have seen is by law enforcement who routinely busts students that post pictures of themselves doing illegal stuff....like measuring out large quantities of pot.

Dport
12-07-07, 19:55
That's because you are one of those "paranoid" self-defense types. :D

Normally, I would dismiss it as me being paranoid. Her brother, however, is not. He's a disarmed Illinois subject. And even he thinks it's a bad idea!

rob_s
12-07-07, 20:08
Really, folks? What's the worst that can happen from putting all sorts of personal info on a site any idiot with an internet connection can access 24/7??

You can make your profile such that it's only viewable by people you want to see it. Mine, for example, shows a name and a photo if I don't OK you.

I frankly think both sides of the myspace thing are funny, from the "I'm too old/cool/paranoid/mature/whatever to have a myspace" crowd to the people that spend hours a day on the thing.

It's a tool. Use it wisely and responsibly and you can make it work for you.

Dport
12-07-07, 20:26
I frankly think both sides of the myspace thing are funny, from the "I'm too old/cool/paranoid/mature/whatever to have a myspace" crowd to the people that spend hours a day on the thing.

Normally, I'm right there with you on the extremes thing. But here I have to disagree. I don't see any redeeming value in myspace or facebook.

williejc
12-07-07, 20:29
They don't take old guys who drool and have big ears and no teeth. So, no, I ain't a member.

Williejc :D

Mortech
12-07-07, 22:59
I do , its a great way to stay in touch with my brother and cousins when they get deployed and unlike Yahoo and others Myspace allows you to upload short videos you can share like the childrens birthday party that daddy/mommy can't be at since they are deployed and daddy/mommy can leavea short video for them too .

rhino
12-08-07, 01:09
I'm amused by the derisive, too-cool-for-school attitude some have for myspace.com. As I have no emotional or financial investment in the site, I don't really care if people choose to embrace or eschew it, but my experience has been a net positive.

I've had an account there for almost three years (www.myspace.com/rhinorhetoric). A buddy of mine that I originally met in a Louis Awerbuck class pointed me toward it and suggested I establish an account and join his groups. I had never heard of "myspace" then (neither had most of you) and I had no preconceived notions about it. To me, it was just a simple and inexpensive way to have a rudimentary web page. It also has a few good "groups" pertaining to shooting, firearms, and training amd some of my other interests. Almost all of the people on my "friends" list are individuals I know from "real life."

Sure, there is a lot of useless crap there and I'm older than than the rest of the people on there (combined), but there are enough good things to justify the "heavy labor" of registering. I've had maybe a dozen old friends find me through my presence there, which was a benefit I had not anticipated. Not being a fugitive or the likely target of a stalker, I'm not that concerned about the "wrong" people finding me there. I don't put information there that is any more extensive than I would post in any other public place (like here).

All of the graphics and other bandwidth-intensive crap do make it more difficult for a neo-Luddite like myself with a puny dial-up connection, but then I rarely look at any profiles or anything other than two or three groups I check a few times a month. The messaging features (both in groups and the internal e-mail) sucks beyond peer, but it is what it is.

Al U. 5811
12-08-07, 01:12
Wow, alot of hostility towards MySpace. The media has really gotten to some people.

Anyone intersted in adding a friend PM me.

C4IGrant
12-08-07, 08:37
Man if Grant had one that would have made my day:D. Maybe its jsut me but I would have laughed hard if he had a myspace. As far as me having one I have to give in and admit I have one. but as other posters have mentioned its a great way to keep in touch with friends in the military and ones that have moved away.

-DM-

Maybe I do have one, but am afraid to tell anyone. :)

I personally spend WAY too much time on the errornet as is, so one more thing would kill me. I also don't have any friends and don't like people much so myspace is out. :D

If people are into it, then cool with me. Its your life, run it how you think is best.

C4

rob_s
12-08-07, 08:48
Normally, I'm right there with you on the extremes thing. But here I have to disagree. I don't see any redeeming value in myspace or facebook.

To each their own. Positives have been pointed out in this thread.

It all depends on your frame of reference and your situation.

Jay Cunningham
12-08-07, 08:50
Aww....come on, buddy.....you're not that bad looking.....

Just as long as you don't ask if you can "stick it in my dump pouch" again...

:eek:

Robb Jensen
12-08-07, 08:53

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/Hobbes.jpg

Harv
12-08-07, 10:23
M4arc

Not me. I guess I'm either too old to get it or too busy to care.

Oh yeah baby...

I just don't like that many people.....:cool:

Hell.. the only reason I have a cell phone is because work pays for it...

Hey.. I'm not totally against tech.. I got a Playstation 2 so I can play my Medal of Honor games...;)

Joseywales
12-08-07, 10:34
I agree with M4arc's statement above. I don't get it either.

I think my space if for teenagers, cheaters, and those who have no life. Just my opinion. If I need to keep in touch with anyone, I have e-mail and a phone.

ST911
12-08-07, 10:57
I don't have a myspace page, and I won't. No facebook (sp?) either. Regardless of what positives may exist, most others seem to view myspace'ing as trite and juvenile.

I do know they are a goldmine of information for criminal and applicant/background investigations, as well as intel.

I have been considering a blog.

Failure2Stop
12-08-07, 11:01
It's not that I am too old or too cool, I just don't care.

If someone wants to keep in touch, they will. If I want to keep in touch, I will.

I don't care if someone else has one or not, but I have no need.

rhino
12-08-07, 13:12
I do know they are a goldmine of information for criminal and applicant/background investigations, as well as intel.

Does that mean that five-oh is going to use myspace to catch rob_s ridin' dirty? :D

I still don't understand why the place is so popular, given the non-utility of their crappy messaging system. The internal e-mail and structure of their groups (equivalent to what most of us would call "forums") truly suck. I suppose most people there are more interested in exchanging still images, videos, and audio than discussing the concerns of a firearms instructor/student or genuine political issues. :D

Dport
12-08-07, 13:37
If someone wants to keep in touch, they will. If I want to keep in touch, I will.

My high school reunion was a couple of years ago (and another one is scheduled for next year. :rolleyes:). When the wife and I were discussing whether or not we should pay the airfare, the hotel bill and the rental car to go see these people, we came to the same conclusion as you. We saw the reunion as pointless.

That said I did put some generic information on Classmates.com, mostly for old shipmates, who have lost touch through multiple moves and career changes. If they need a reference for a job or something, I want to be there for them.

John_Wayne777
12-08-07, 14:23

I just KNEW that would come back to haunt me....

ST911
12-08-07, 16:25
My high school reunion was a couple of years ago (and another one is scheduled for next year. :rolleyes:). When the wife and I were discussing whether or not we should pay the airfare, the hotel bill and the rental car to go see these people, we came to the same conclusion as you. We saw the reunion as pointless.

Heck, my HS reunion was about ten miles down the road at a restaurant we like, and I wouldn't go. :D

WS6
12-10-07, 23:35
I have one. I find it very useful to keep track of friends as people are fond of changing cell #'s so often these days. Also, it allows me to notify large groups of people of what is going on, or if I want to sell something it gives me a large audience. All-in-all I find it a useful tool and good for some amusement now and then. The only thing that pisses me off about it is that most of the people on my friends list post MEANINGFUL bulletins but the few retards on there who I keep for whatever reason post up BS bulletin after BS bulletin and it bumps the ones I want to read off my immediate display screen.

Also it allows me to search for/find people with similar interests. Met a few car enthusiasts that are good friends to this day and have helped me work on several of my cars.

Back in my single days I found it a decent resource for a quick date, but I advise against using it to meet singles. Then again, it is just another medium with which to connect with people, so you could also argue FOR using it for such.

Lumpy196
12-10-07, 23:52
Holds zero interest to me.

usaffarmer
12-11-07, 03:03
my wife is prego with twins, she is at stay at home mom. She lives on her space. But it keeps it out of the "toy room". It makes her happy it makes me happy ;) and she doesnt complain about me going shooting once or twice a month.

WS6
12-11-07, 12:45
my wife is prego with twins, she is at stay at home mom. She lives on her space. But it keeps it out of the "toy room". It makes her happy it makes me happy ;) and she doesnt complain about me going shooting once or twice a month.

Just make sure she doesn't see you calling her an "it" and the bliss will continue.

rayray
12-11-07, 13:59
I have one. I use it everyday.

AMMOTECH
12-11-07, 18:36
I've got one.... I use it to help keep up with what my kids are doing on-line.

Alpha Sierra
12-11-07, 19:11
No F'ing way....

+1

NFW

User Name
12-12-07, 21:11
Its how I met my wife.:rolleyes:

WS6
12-13-07, 00:07
Its how I met my wife.:rolleyes:

Meh, in highschool I met a girl on Yahoo Pool. We dated for 9 months. 6 long dist. and 3 after she moved nearby.

markm
12-13-07, 07:45
I swear Rob_s is the EXACT opposite person of me.

I've now look forward to looking at these kind of topics so I can see what he says, and how it contradicts my opinions perfectly.

Myspace is BANNED in my house. I don't have an account, and anyone who does isn't allowed to access that garbage from my PC. :cool:

Yojimbo
12-13-07, 09:53
Holds zero interest to me.

Same here, plus I'm and older married guy with 4 kids and I also work for a living so I don't have time to waste giving out all my personal info to people I don't know and probably don't want to know.

Also, my kids aren't allowed to put their personal info on the net so no MySpace for them either.

I guess I'm just turning into a curmudgeon...;)

Patrick Aherne
12-13-07, 10:05
Myspace is a fantastic tool to weed out jackasses with in background investigations. It is also a good way to determine links and relationships in criminal or gang networks. Anyone who would ever want to be employed by a major corporation or government agency should only put on myspace what you would be willing to show them in a job interview.

I can find out if you're straight, married, have kids, or belong to a herpes + club; all things I could not ask in a job interview. It also helps when gang bangers take photos with their friends wearing all their colors and flashing signs. Myspace is useful to me as an investigative tool; as a married, over-the-hill, don't need anymore friends than the four I would trust to bury a body with me kind of guy, it isn't worth it for me to have an account.

Know this, though, myspace/texting/IMing is changing the nature of society, probably as much as the advent of the telephone 100 years ago did and you have to understand it in order to not be left out of the virtual world it has created.

rhino
12-14-07, 10:14
How do you match myspace profiles with actual people if they don't put their real names on them?

baffle Stack
12-14-07, 18:56
Know this, though, myspace/texting/IMing is changing the nature of society, probably as much as the advent of the telephone 100 years ago did and you have to understand it in order to not be left out of the virtual world it has created.

That's quite insightful, I have never thought about it like that.

I don't have one but I have many friends that do. Sadly people tend to live Vicariously though MySpace. I find that disturbing and that's really my only beef against it. About 4 years ago... a rock band I was in had one. I didn't want it but my band mates did so whatever. I think if we were any good I would have had a different attitude towards it.

Thermodyn
12-16-07, 17:56
I don't have one for me personally, but my band has one, and I typically maintain it, although everyone in the band has the passwords. It's a marketing tool for us. Allows us to connect with fans and gain exposure to people who are into the same style of music as we are. It's kind of a grassroots way for bands to circumvent the traditional record company/contractual/distribution thing. Power to the people.

That being said, the internet (including MySpace) is full of trash. Just like a firearm, it can be used for good or evil, depending on the operator. I would never let my kids go on MySpace as it is too dangerous IMHO. Just as I would never hand my kids a loaded gun without close supervision, I also do not allow my kids to go on the internet at ANY time whatsoever w/o supervision. The computer is in a public place in our house, and we monitor its use closely.

hgary2003
12-20-07, 13:06
Myspace is really pretty cool.. I never thought much about it myself until I found out some of the people I know where setting up on there, then after looking their stuff over, and seeing just how easy it was to set up, I found it to be pretty neat & fun..

Here is mine.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=170725032

rob_s
12-20-07, 13:16
There are still an aweful lot of ignorant responses here, which is to be expected.

You can set your profile to be as public or as private as you want it to be. Mine is pretty much shut down to public view for anything other than my first name, state, and one picture. But if you get creative you can even limit that.

neodecker
12-20-07, 13:22
I have one use it to keep in contact with my friends around the country

Safetyhit
12-20-07, 14:26
No myspace for me. At 38, it just seems too juvenile. However, a younger girl I started dating recently has an account there. She has numerous friends, many of which are as pretty as she is. Interesting to see how they communicate with each other :) .

variablebinary
12-20-07, 15:21
I have an account, which is set to private and my friends are 100% real life friends and family back in New York City. Comes in handy for sharing things like wedding photos and such.

m60g
12-20-07, 18:19
I do, I found alot of my army buddies with myspace.com

Don Robison
12-20-07, 23:35
I've got a "my space" the wife refers to it as the clubhouse. It's my 20'x40' work shop; I'm finishing the 12'x10' armory inside it over the next couple of weeks:D

ZGXtreme
12-20-07, 23:39
I have an account, which is set to private and my friends are 100% real life friends and family back in New York City. Comes in handy for sharing things like wedding photos and such.

Same here. Imposing those limits such as the Privacy Settings and not having any "friends" who are not real life friends and I actually enjoy it. Easy way to share photos and video among the group of friends.

rhino
12-21-07, 01:30
I still want to know how it's possible for cops and employers match real names to userids on myspace for their "research."

crowkiller
12-21-07, 07:20
My cousin talked me into setting up a page before he left for Iraq so we can keep in touch. It was the best way to keep in touch with him over there and he could post bulletins to all his friends to let them know how he doing with out e-mailing each one individually. You can be as private on there as you can on forums. You do have to watch about your account/password being phished but as long as you remain cautious your gtg mine has never been phished. it is a step above e-mail for keeping in touch imo. I would CLOSELY monitor kids on it though but thats the same with the Internet in general.

rhino: That's a good question. If you have a private account I could see MYspace handing over info to LE but not employers. If your law abiding then you should have no worries.

ffhounddog
12-21-07, 08:11
I dont have one but my wife does. She is on it alot but I am on my 3 sites the same amount of time.

We have been working alot more so not as much but work has m4carbine.net not blocked so yeah I guess I am doing this at work when I am the only one here.

rhino
12-21-07, 15:39
rhino: That's a good question. If you have a private account I could see MYspace handing over info to LE but not employers. If your law abiding then you should have no worries.

What I'm concerned about it the information being handed over to LEOs without a proper court order.

Of course, it all presupposes that everyone uses their real names and home towns on the profiles. It would be unwise to assume that's the case.

Hoplophile
12-21-07, 22:35
MySpace and Facebook are today what AOL was back in the 90s.

I avoid all of it like the plague.

doorkicker
12-22-07, 02:57
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b67/mlabook/mercspacetiedwo8il6.gif

:D

crowkiller
12-22-07, 06:15
What I'm concerned about it the information being handed over to LEOs without a proper court order.

Of course, it all presupposes that everyone uses their real names and home towns on the profiles. It would be unwise to assume that's the case.

True on both

Tzoid
12-26-07, 12:02
I have one, as does my girlfriend, and in fact that is how we met over two years ago. When I was actually active on it 2.5-3 years ago it was a great way to meet women and re-connect with old friends from high school and college.

All of the media attention seems to have changed the public perception of it and made it more "crowded".

Backyard Outfitters has one too
http://www.myspace.com/operatorgrade

Ditto.

I met my Girfriend on Myspace 2 years ago and before her I met a ton of women in my area.

I don't frequent Myspace as much since we got together and I can say she made me get rid of just about every female friend I had on myspace.

So....It's not for Married or people in relationships...It can be fun for singles.

S-1
12-26-07, 15:20
I avoid all of it like the plague.

Yep.

I also avoid any internet board/forum that asks for ID of any sort to become a member, even though I meet the "credentials". It's just not safe to do so, no matter how much you trust sending the info to.

SuicideHz
12-27-07, 00:50
You can make your profile such that it's only viewable by people you want to see it. Mine, for example, shows a name and a photo if I don't OK you.

It's a tool. Use it wisely and responsibly and you can make it work for you.

I think Rob has it right.

I've had one for a long time now. I think I signed up because a TV show I watched was putting some info up there.

It's pretty stupid and has no real uses for me other than, well, nothing right now.

Anyone I want to keep in touch with knows my cell phone number and email address so there's no real reason to leave each other little notes or presents to find. My wife loves it. She and her friends pass on these stupid animated pictures at the holidays.

My friend's wife brags about her crack baby and how great it is...