PDA

View Full Version : HK P7 cleaning question

Carniemedic
12-22-11, 14:00
I’m new to the HK P7. It’s a great pistol but holy cow it gets filthy after a trip to the range. I’m trying to find the best way to clean this thing. I first tried my traditional way of rags, CLP, brushes, and Q tips and it took me forever to get the thing clean. Today I decided to clean it like I do my AK 74 after firing corrosive ammo. I put it in hot soapy water and gave it brushing then rinsed it. This method seemed like it cut down on my cleaning time, and really got rid of the powder residue and carbon, but I noticed some “flash” rust forming in the chamber near the groves. After I dried it and cleaned the barrel with Hopps it took care of the problem.

Does anyone else clean their P7 like this, and/or does this seem like a good way of cleaning it?

p7fl
12-22-11, 14:22
Cleaning a P7 is like trying to get all the butter off a toasted English muffin.
Having read the Cult of the P7 Forum for over a decade, most ways work. When your gun stops running your way didn't.
I bought an Ultrasonic.:cool:

F-Trooper05
12-22-11, 14:49
Do you have both a buffer tube scraper and buffer tube brush? They're absolutely necessary. I've had my P7 lock up on me worse than any gun I've ever seen simply because the buffer tube had a little bit too much debris in it. That's one reason I won't carry a P7.

TOrrock
12-22-11, 14:59
Pro tip:

Do not even attempt to get it white glove clean. Moderately clean with carbon on the piston is just fine.

You'll wear it out cleaning it that much, and drive yourself crazy.

Carniemedic
12-22-11, 15:35
Do you have both a buffer tube scraper and buffer tube brush? They're absolutely necessary. I've had my P7 lock up on me worse than any gun I've ever seen simply because the buffer tube had a little bit too much debris in it. That's one reason I won't carry a P7.

So far have only been using the brush that came with the gun, but I just bought the gas cylinder cleaning tool today online.

Carniemedic
12-22-11, 15:36
Pro tip:

Do not even attempt to get it white glove clean. Moderately clean with carbon on the piston is just fine.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Wildcat
12-22-11, 16:40
The P-7 is a (modified) blowback weapon. Its going to be filthy.

Wipe off the soot, swab the barrel out with solvent and use a good carbon cutter on the piston. Come back later on and address any fouling that swabbing the barrel may loosen.
Use the scraping tool to clean out the piston chamber.
Brush off the breech face and wipe it down.

Given all the little springs and close fitting parts in the gun, I would -not- recommend using the hot-water treatment.

If you really have an intolerable amount of residue accumulating in the pistol, cleaner burning ammo may help. What are you using now?

Carniemedic
12-22-11, 17:14
So far I have only used 115 grain PMC bronze ammo. I know that it’s a blow back system I’m just new to it and I guess I will have to get over some of my OCD when cleaning this pistol.

Spiffums
12-22-11, 19:40
Pro tip:

Could you dip the piston in Carbon Killer? I don't shoot my M13 anymore but I have wondered about this since it works to just soak AR bolts in.

Sgt_Gold
12-25-11, 21:32
If you don't have the correct tools, a .270 rifle bore brush will clean the piston cylinder. The piston itself doesn't have to be squeaky clean for the pistol to function correctly. As long as the high flat spots are clean, you'll get a good seal on the inside of the cylinder. Clean to piston too much, and you'll end up wearing it down and having to replace it. Never oil the piston or leave any oil in the cylinder. The gas system is designed to run dry, and any liquid in the system will result in higher than normal operating pressures.

Kain
12-25-11, 22:01
Have owned one for several years now and while I don't shoot it a lot I usually clean it like I would my other pistols until I get to the piston, which I usually just lightly clean it, run the carbon scraper my came with around the piston housing lightly, and wipe it down, and call it a day, hasn't given me an issue, as long at its half clean and not gunked up its fine. Generally more worried about burning myself during rapid fire drills with it.

lamarbrog
12-25-11, 23:14
I haven't shot mine a ton between cleanings.... a few hundred rounds at most. I haven't really had any abnormal issues with cleaning. I just get it fairly clean, and make sure it is oiled well. I keep the gas system dry. Haven't had a problem.

skyugo
12-26-11, 00:48
i used to hose mine off with some automotive brake cleaner. did a decent job. I'd keep the water off of it, as it's a blued gun with lots of nooks and crannies which will be hard to dry. you may actually want to degrease yours again, and put it in the oven on very low heat without the grip panels to ensure it dries out.
WD40 and CLP would probably be fine though...

anyway, using high quality reloads with vihtavouri powder cut my cleaning time massively.
I always gave the gas tube a quick brushing with a 270 cal bore brush. Generally used some foaming bore cleaner on the gas cylinder and bore.
lightly lube the piston with militec. makes it easier to clean and helps keep the action smooth and reliable longer.
I used to run mine pretty hard... 200 round range sessions were pretty common. i did 400 in a weekend once, but relubed after 200 rounds and wiped the gas piston down with a rag. had a grand total of one stove pipe style jam with the gun. put about 2200 rounds through it.
it's a very solid reliable gun