PDA

View Full Version : Cerakoted Glocks?

rushca01
12-22-11, 16:10
Has anybody had their Glocks Cerakoted? There is a company selling cerakoted Glocks in various colors in AZ. Curious how they hold up etc.. They can do any combination of frame and slide.

MrMiller
12-22-11, 17:44
Has anybody had their Glocks Cerakoted? There is a company selling cerakoted Glocks in various colors in AZ. Curious how they hold up etc.. They can do any combination of frame and slide.

I've refinished a number of frames and many, many dozen slides (probably over a hundred) in both C-Series and H-Series Cerakote.

Are these new guns that have been customized or refinished previously owned guns?

rushca01
12-22-11, 19:09
I've refinished a number of frames and many, many dozen slides (probably over a hundred) in both C-Series and H-Series Cerakote.

Are these new guns that have been customized or refinished previously owned guns?

Looks to me like they are being sold as new guns. Seeing as you are in AZ are you maybe the one doing/selling these, (they look nice btw)? Curious how the Cerakote A)holds up on the plastic and B)How well it addheres to the "tenifer" on the slide.

n517rv
12-22-11, 19:21
I'll be curious to see the replies on this one. I would love to have a Glock "lower" or two in FDE O or maybe Foliage Green... :)

Personally I wouldn't change the tenifer slide, but that's just me.

Sent from my Sprint EVO via Tapatalk

MrMiller
12-22-11, 19:49
Looks to me like they are being sold as new guns. Seeing as you are in AZ are you maybe the one doing/selling these, (they look nice btw)? Curious how the Cerakote A)holds up on the plastic and B)How well it addheres to the "tenifer" on the slide.

No, not I (Said the Little Red Hen) :)

I have had no complaints about it coming off of the Polymer frame material. That gets a light abrasive blast as well and can be coated with H-Series Cerakote without issue.

Cerakote adheres to the slide surface just fine. Tennifer is a colorless surface treatment (nitriding) that hardens the surface. The blast profile recommended for Cerakote gives the coating plenty to adhere to.

MrMiller
12-22-11, 19:52
I'll be curious to see the replies on this one. I would love to have a Glock "lower" or two in FDE O or maybe Foliage Green... :)

Personally I wouldn't change the tenifer slide, but that's just me.

Sent from my Sprint EVO via Tapatalk

That can certainly be done.

glen
12-23-11, 08:16
The blast profile recommended for Cerakote gives the coating plenty to adhere to.

Speaking of which, is the media blasting surface prep recommended for Cerakote harsh enough to thin or otherwise affect the tennifer layer?

Also, which holds up to holster wear (kydex) and hard use better in your experience, Cerakote or the earlier gen 3 oem shiny black finish?

MrMiller
12-23-11, 08:28
mine in bold

Speaking of which, is the media blasting surface prep recommended for Cerakote harsh enough to thin or otherwise affect the tennifer layer?

No.

Also, which holds up to holster wear (kydex) and hard use better in your experience, Cerakote or the earlier gen 3 oem shiny black finish?

Pistol slides are absolutely the worst case scenario for any finish since they have relatively sharp corners being abraded on by a hard Kydex (add a bit o' training dirt and you have a nice sandpaper).

Glock has had several different finishes and some may be better at limiting signs of holster wear than others.
Nothing is going to not show any signs of wear under these circumstances.

To maintain that virgin finish, I recommend the soft zipper cases located near the back wall of the gun safe. :sarcastic:

Underwhere
12-23-11, 08:31
I've Cerakoted polymer as well as metal.

The Cerakote I used was bake on. The finish is not like spray paint so you shouldn't be concerned about flaking or rubbing off (unless applied incorrectly)

I believe Tenifer is really more of a treating process than a coating. To prepare the surface of the Cerakoted object, you media blast it. It roughens the surface ever so slightly so the Cerakote will stick. I wouldn't be concerned about ruining the slide. It's very slight.

My AR is completely cerakoted and it is holding up well. As with any finish it will wear. You just happen to change the color scheme.

As far holster wear: I carry mine every day and the finish wears down. I would expect Cerakote to do the same but don't have any personal experience with it (I never Cerakoted handgun slides only frames)

http://i50.tinypic.com/muheec.jpg
http://i53.tinypic.com/r7429s.jpg

glen
12-23-11, 09:40
mine in bold

I know, but my presentation times sucked drawing from a gun rug. :p

What I mean is, I've worn out all generations of Glock finish on a variety of carry Glocks, and the shiny 3rd gen finish just happened to stand up to wear best. Just curious how Cerakote compares to that as a benchmark.

glen
12-23-11, 09:48
I've Cerakoted polymer as well as metal.

The Cerakote I used was bake on. The finish is not like spray paint so you shouldn't be concerned about flaking or rubbing off (unless applied incorrectly)

I believe Tenifer is really more of a treating process than a coating. To prepare the surface of the Cerakoted object, you media blast it. It roughens the surface ever so slightly so the Cerakote will stick. I wouldn't be concerned about ruining the slide. It's very slight.

My AR is completely cerakoted and it is holding up well. As with any finish it will wear. You just happen to change the color scheme.

As far holster wear: I carry mine every day and the finish wears down. I would expect Cerakote to do the same but don't have any personal experience with it (I never Cerakoted handgun slides only frames)

http://i50.tinypic.com/muheec.jpg

http://i53.tinypic.com/r7429s.jpg

Nice work!

Yup, I dont have any magical expectations from Cerakote. Just wanted to have an idea on how it wears compared to the Glock gen 3 finish which I think was the best generation.

MrMiller
12-23-11, 10:41
I know, but my presentation times sucked drawing from a gun rug. :p

What I mean is, I've worn out all generations of Glock finish on a variety of carry Glocks, and the shiny 3rd gen finish just happened to stand up to wear best. Just curious how Cerakote compares to that as a benchmark.
In answer to this specific question, I can't say for sure.

NIC advertises their standardized abrasion test results but I don't know how that compares to whatever is on a Gen 3 Glock.

slickdj96
12-23-11, 11:35
This is not Cerakoat so its not relevant to this conversation but it does show my Glocks lower painted with Duracoat.

MrMiller
12-23-11, 11:53
Looks good.

Duracoat should work just fine as well.

glen
12-23-11, 18:31
In answer to this specific question, I can't say for sure.

NIC advertises their standardized abrasion test results but I don't know how that compares to whatever is on a Gen 3 Glock.

Gotcha, yup, seen those too and they made me take a second look at Cerakote. Just dont have experience with the spray on coatings so was looking for anecdotal info. Thanks for chiming in with your experience. :)