PDA

View Full Version : Another 12 o'clock light mount...

Yojimbo
12-07-07, 08:21
I just saw this 12 o'clock light mount from Hahn Precision.

It appears to be a barrel mounted solution that goes in front of the gas block. It looks like it would make a good mount for a X300.

Do you guys think a light mount attached directly to the barrel like this one could overheat the X300 or cause other issues?

http://hahn-precision.com/armory/thumbnails/200-AFLMP0404-01.jpg

Quoted from Hahn Precision's web site.

"Forward Light Mount - AFLMP0404
Attaches in on the barrel in front of the sight and allows the mounting of weapon lights from Insight / Streamlight / Surefire. Design self compensates for variations in barrel diameter. Extremely lightweight and clears bayonette. Docking areas on side allow for additional rails (Picatinny Low Profile - PLP0904) to be mounted if necessary."

UPSguy
12-07-07, 13:38
Surefire has been selling barrel mounts and suppressor mounts for many years. I'd gather from that they don't think there is going to be an overheating problem.

Yojimbo
12-07-07, 14:18
Good point, I forgot about the barrel mounts they used with the Classic series.

stony275
12-07-07, 15:04

It appears to be a barrel mounted solution that goes in front of the gas block. It looks like it would make a good mount for a X300.

Do you guys think a light mount attached directly to the barrel like this one could overheat the X300 or cause other issues?

Attaches in on the barrel in front of the sight and allows the mounting of weapon lights from Insight / Streamlight / Surefire. Design self compensates for variations in barrel diameter. Extremely lightweight and clears bayonette. Docking areas on side allow for additional rails (Picatinny Low Profile - PLP0904) to be mounted if necessary."

I think it might make a good location for a Scout light as well. I have mine mounted at the 12 o'clock position, but via a Daniel Defense rail that goes beyond the FSB.

Yojimbo
12-07-07, 15:19
Stoney275,

What light and mount are you using? Do you have any pics of your setup?

Thanks!

C4IGrant
12-07-07, 16:24
Stoney275,

What light and mount are you using? Do you have any pics of your setup?

Thanks!

He is running a Scout.

C4

Dport
12-07-07, 17:00
Seems to me if you're running a railed forearm (I don't) you could sacrifice BUIS sight radius and do the same thing on your own.

Yojimbo
12-07-07, 20:34
Dport,

I was thinking the same thing but depending on what light and mount you are using sometimes the light will be too high and when the BUIS is deployed the light will block the front sight.

The mount above is actually lower than the rail so you don't have to worry about blocking the sight.

I guess I need get an X300 and see how it works. I'm also still waiting on the new redesigned SR07 switch...

Dport
12-07-07, 20:38
Good point.

Akoni
12-08-07, 09:42
Seems to me if you're running a railed forearm (I don't) you could sacrifice BUIS sight radius and do the same thing on your own.

My reply to some other inquiry of the same nature:

An X200/300 sits below the sight line of your irons/red dot. You "notice" it from behind the rifle but if you run a fixed front sight it is not overly distracting. I've not noticed any glare issues with that positioning vs other positions. The following pics are not the ideal setup as the FF rail on this rifle is too long but I threw it on there to illustrate. (You could however move the light and FS rearward even on such a long rail to get better positioning) After trying a few different setups we had settled on a 9" or 10" rail with an LMT fixed sight behind the light. Some were running tape switches (which would help on a long rail like this one or for folks that use VFG's), while others (who like driving the carbine from the front of the rail) can easily thumb the switch. We came up with this for a fairly specific set of circumstances but found that it worked pretty well anyplace this light (X200/300) would be appropriate and you didn't need to do certain other things, like running a DBAL.

It would be nice if these lights had a disable switch.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Akoni_bucket/X200at12.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o108/Akoni_bucket/X200at122.jpg

stony275
12-08-07, 09:42

My back up iron sights are permanently deployed. I have a standard FSB. The Daniel Defense rail I have is the 12.0 FSP model. My sight radius is that of a standard M4 carbine.

I have a few pics of me using this setup in the GTA sniper match (Grant saw me using it at his stage). I suck at posting pics that have to be hosted, otherwise I'd post one or two.

I hate name droppers, but I'm going to commit that sin. Ken Hackathorn has seen me with this setup a number of times and he approved of it. With the light at the 12 o'clock position, you avoid the down side of having a light at either the 3 or 9 when it comes to performing CQB and negotiating a corner.

KevinB
12-08-07, 11:08
Ken mentioned Stony's setup at the recent LL class as a recommend way of doing business...

topcrest
12-08-07, 23:21
I usually run this mount on my middy but it's um... inop.

Lights jutting off the side of a rifle always bothered me. This mount turned out to be exactly what I needed.

Sights remain completely unobstructed with the light in place as shown in the 2nd picture.

The TLR-1 will be replaced by an X300 next week.

http://www.hayesresearch.net/hahnmount01.JPG

http://www.hayesresearch.net/hahnmount02.JPG

Yojimbo
12-09-07, 09:27
Topcrest,

Thanks for the pics, that's exactly what I'm looking at doing with a X300 and a SR switch.;)

Has there been any issues with it getting loose?

BTW, after taking a closer look at your pics it looks like I might neet to mount it further forward than you if I want to the XT back plate. It looks like with the mount directly in front of the FSB there won't be enough room for the X300 with a XT backplate installed.

topcrest
12-09-07, 09:55
After a couple thousand rounds on various setups, it has not shot loose.

I always blue locktite and torque everything to between 25 and 40 in-lb depending on what it is.

I'd imagine the mount would need to be slightly farther forward to accommodate the bulkier switch.

KevinB
12-09-07, 11:13
The X300 was the setup invisioned when I did this one.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v193/EvilKev/Weapons/URX009.jpg
I despise Tape switches - but I'm working on something to make it more "buttony"

Akoni
12-09-07, 22:02
The X300 was the setup invisioned when I did this one.

Is that an OTAL on there? I tried that setup (with OTAL, didn't try the DBAL) and the beam sorta hits the side of the x200/300 type lights mounted ahead. Didn't shoot it though. May not be an issue for all.

bullitt5172
12-18-07, 21:51
My back up iron sights are permanently deployed. I have a standard FSB. The Daniel Defense rail I have is the 12.0 FSP model. My sight radius is that of a standard M4 carbine.

I have a few pics of me using this setup in the GTA sniper match (Grant saw me using it at his stage). I suck at posting pics that have to be hosted, otherwise I'd post one or two.

I hate name droppers, but I'm going to commit that sin. Ken Hackathorn has seen me with this setup a number of times and he approved of it. With the light at the 12 o'clock position, you avoid the down side of having a light at either the 3 or 9 when it comes to performing CQB and negotiating a corner.

Stony, is there any advantage to the 12 o'clock mount over a 6 o'clock mount?

Lumpy196
12-18-07, 22:45
Tag for ideas...

jmart
12-18-07, 22:52

Not Stony, but the advantage I've always heard about is you don't have to expose as much of your torso or melon when shooting over/around cover. With the light at 6:00, you have to get the weapon out far enough for the light to clear the cover, and in so doing you expose more of yourself.

C4IGrant
12-19-07, 08:05
Not Stony, but the advantage I've always heard about is you don't have to expose as much of your torso or melon when shooting over/around cover. With the light at 6:00, you have to get the weapon out far enough for the light to clear the cover, and in so doing you expose more of yourself.

That is correct.

C4

bullitt5172
12-19-07, 08:33
That is correct.

C4

Thanks Grant and jmart.

Grant, just sent you an email about a light setup.

Treehopr
12-19-07, 08:58

It can also help to reduce the "shadowing" effect depending on your barrel length.

stony275
12-19-07, 09:35

I did it for one primary (95%) reason and one borderline aesthetic and possibly practical (5%) reason.

Primary: The light and hence the beam is closer to my line of sight. Potentially, the light at the 6 o'clock might have some of the beam obscured by the barrel. What I am shooting at is above the bore line, not below it.

Since I run a standard FSB, with the light at the 12 o'clock the light is "below" the profile of the FSB. It's slightly and I emphasize, slightly protected by the FSB. If I have the light at the 6 o'clock I make the profile/footprint of my weapon larger.

At the Green Lake Tactical Association (GTA) Sniper Match I had to engage targets with my carbine through a horizontal slit. Although this was a daylight shoot, if it required illumination, I would have been hosed with the light at 6 o'clock or I would have had to rotate my carbine 90 degrees about the long axis and shoot it gangsta' style yo!

With my setup if there was a hybrid of the X200 or X300 and the Scout light, I think it would be the ideal light for the 12 o'clock position. The question is: would there be enough of a demand/market to make it worthwhile for Surefire to make such a product?

UPSguy
12-19-07, 13:22
Stony, what is your idea of a X200/ Scout light combination?

stony275
12-19-07, 14:51
Stony, what is your idea of a X200/ Scout light combination?

Grant,

If my response constitutes a thread hijack, I apologize and feel free to delete this response.

Re: the hybrid idea.

Take the rectangular body of the X series, but "bend" it so that is straddles the 12 o'clock rail on either side with the batteries housed at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. Have the lamp assembly at the 12 o'clock but as low as possible. Have the provision for push button or tape switch or both e.g. at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions behind the battery compartment.

Hopefully, the result is shorter than the Scout light, has a lower profile and is easier to activate on a carbine than the X series lights.

Actually, it would fit on the 3, 6 or 9 o'clock positions, but I'm trying to optimize it for the 12 o'clock position.

Kevin B's carbine rail setup is very similar to mine, i.e. rail extending in front of the FBS.

UPSguy
12-19-07, 15:31
Very interesting idea Stony. Thanks for sharing.

KevinB
12-23-07, 10:46
Hmm

Even a X300 with a "DevGrp" style pressure pad that bends down on the side (either side option) and fits along the top of the rail panel
all you'd need then is a moddified backplate

I love the pressure paddle on the NVEC Attila - and somethign similar like that I would dig...

TheGhostRider
01-04-08, 09:54
Found this 12 o'clock mount:

Opinions...http://www.tdi-arms.com/store.php?pid=274"]

link doesn't work anymore.

Jay Cunningham
02-05-08, 23:39
Grant,

If my response constitutes a thread hijack, I apologize and feel free to delete this response.

Take the rectangular body of the X series, but "bend" it so that is straddles the 12 o'clock rail on either side with the batteries housed at the 10 and 2 o'clock position. Have the lamp assembly at the 12 o'clock but as low as possible. Have the provision for push button or tape switch or both e.g. at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions behind the battery compartment.

Hopefully, the result is shorter than the Scout light, has a lower profile and is easier to activate on a carbine than the X series lights.

Actually, it would fit on the 3, 6 or 9 o'clock positions, but I'm trying to optimize it for the 12 o'clock position.

Kevin B's carbine rail setup is very similar to mine, i.e. rail extending in front of the FBS.

I had a thought.

How about incorporating a fixed AR front sight right into the body of the light?

Yojimbo
02-07-08, 09:43
Here's another 12 o'clock mount I found. It's made by Sidearmor and runs about $125. I'm considering using this one with a X300 because I really like how low it puts the light. Has anyone used this mount?

http://sidearmor.com/images/riflemounts/MCM100/P1000192_800.jpg

Guilty
02-07-08, 14:36

I like the Hahn Precision forward light mount so much that I ordered one yesterday to mount a Surefire X300 on my Noveske N4. Thanks for the info. on this product.

Erick Gelhaus
02-08-08, 14:41
Question for those who've actually worked with the Hahn and the SideArmor:
All of the pictures show them used on barrels with conventional FSBs. Will either of them work with barrels that only have a gas block on them?

I'm predisposed to the Hahn due to cost and SideArmor's recurring refusal to admit there are Left Handers on the planet.

... but I'll go with what will work for my barrels. Thanks.

Guilty
02-10-08, 21:03
Unfortunately, the Hahn Precision forward light mount that I bought didn't fit properly on the Noveske N4. The Vltor Vltor 10" VIS monolithic upper length positions the forward light mount where the barrel diameter is narrower so it would just spin around the barrel. I was able to use it on another AR with a fixed front sight and it works perfectly.

utarch00
02-10-08, 22:06
Is anybody using any of these barrel or FSB mounts on a SBR? I was just wondering if there is enough room for them with such a short barrel.

Pics would be great if available. Thanks.

Hootiewho
02-10-08, 23:25
Something that I have noticed with the light at the 12 o'clock position is that if you are running a suppressor, you will have a huge "butt-plug" looking shadow on the ground. I would think that one will find way more threats lying on the ground than lying on the ceiling if the light were mounted in the 6 o'clock position. Just something to think about, everything is a compromise.

Drummer
02-16-08, 21:15
According to Brownell's website, the Sidearmor rails have been dropped by the manufacturer. They probably still have some in stock.

I would rather have a FSB mounted light rail, but the barrel mounted ones may prove adequate for those people wanting to forgo the expense and weight of a ff rail.

militarymoron
02-17-08, 00:15
not 12 o'clock, but 10:30/1:30 on an offset mount like this vltor SM-OCG turned upside down might be a good compromise as the light is still on the handguard and not subjected to conducted heat from the barrel. the light is closer to the bore than if it were mounted on a side rail without an offset mount. another think i like about the vltor mount is that it puts the light closer to the center line than most other mounts.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/militarymoron/smocg.jpg

Failure2Stop
02-18-08, 12:09
mm-
where did you get the Vltor light mount? Is it available or is this a "special" thing? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Thanks

C4IGrant
02-18-08, 12:11
mm-
where did you get the Vltor light mount? Is it available or is this a "special" thing? I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Thanks

This is a new mount that VLTOR showed at Shot. It is not available yet.

C4

Eric Rice
02-18-08, 13:27
After trying Stony's then Ashley's (BFG) setups using the 12 O'clock light (I call it the rhino light), I'm a true convert. I'm using both X200 and TLR1 this way.

It works very well on the FSP rails (such as the new RIS II M4A1 FSP), or a full length rail in front of the fixed, or flip-up front sight.

Drummer
03-04-08, 21:20
Would it be possible for someone to make a rail such as the DD FSP for a midlength barrel with fsb? There wouldn't be as much rail space forward of the FSB, so the idea may not work as needed.

Erick Gelhaus
03-16-08, 11:23
Eric-
Just checked Ashley's site but didn't see anything re 12 o'clock.

Erick

lindertw
03-24-08, 09:01
I like the Hahn Precision forward light mount so much that I ordered one yesterday to mount a Surefire X300 on my Noveske N4. Thanks for the info. on this product.

Guilty - can you post a pic of the x300/Hahn combo on your Noveske?

lindertw
03-24-08, 09:17
Grant,

stony275,

if you strip all the plastic h/w off the bottom of the x300 (leaving just the flashlight body) it sits very low on the barrel, and it leaves you with six drilled/tapped holes to use as mount points.

Haven't quite cracked the nut of making an easy-to-machine barrel mount; nor do I know how it would handle the heat.

Since we're brainstorming I figured I'd throw it out there. If anyone is interested I can put up some pics later today.

Lumpy196
03-24-08, 10:23
If anyone is interested I can put up some pics later today.

I think you might find a couple people here that are interested ;)

lindertw
03-24-08, 14:45
my apologies in advance if this is a thread hijack...

x300 stripped of mounting hardware:
http://tinyurl.com/ytkov6

rough position when mounted - in my mind it would sit ~1/8" or so above the barrel:
http://tinyurl.com/yt65gm

view from the bottom of the barrel:
http://tinyurl.com/yth3ja

alternate view:
http://tinyurl.com/254jls

I didn't take a pic, but this all but disappears from view behind the handguards when looking through the sights.

I like how the SideArmor mount sits low on the barrel, but I don't like the rails hanging off of both sides. I'd like something as light and unobtrusive as possible.

There is a machine shop near where I work. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'll see what they think is possible. Ideas, comments, critiques?

David Thomas
03-24-08, 14:59
my apologies in advance if this is a thread hijack...

There is a machine shop near where I work. I'm not going to hold my breath, but I'll see what they think is possible. Ideas, comments, critiques?

I do not view this as a thread hijack at all.

Besides the obvious question of how well the X300 would handle the heat, it looks like your hand would likely feel some heat from the front sight base as well if a tape switch was not used.

M4Guru
03-24-08, 15:12
Ned Christiansen makes a good 12 o'clock mount
http://www.m-guns.com/galimg/aem.jpg

lindertw
03-24-08, 15:35
I forgot about Ned's mount, I'll have to send him an email and see if this is still a one off item.

Street Survival
04-04-08, 18:00
Hey Guys,

I'm all set to take the Vickers/Hackathorn Low Light Course in early May, but I desprately need a tape switch for my SureFire, Model 300.

Of course, SureFire says they have none available with no ETA. Does anyone have any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Fratenally yours

Jimmy Ward

Jay Cunningham
04-04-08, 18:07
Hey Guys,

I'm all set to take the Vickers/Hackathorn Low Light Course in early May, but I desprately need a tape switch for my SureFire, Model 300.

Of course, SureFire says they have none available with no ETA. Does anyone have any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

Fratenally yours

Jimmy Ward

Before you buy that tape switch, can you position your light so that you can bump the rocker switch with a thumb or knuckle?

Street Survival
04-04-08, 19:41
Hi TheKatar,

It would be very tuff as the mount is forward of the front sight. I need the tape switch, therefore I think I'm screwed.

Jay Cunningham
04-04-08, 19:43
Hi TheKatar,

It would be very tuff as the mount is forward of the front sight. I need the tape switch, therefore I think I'm screwed.

A pic would help...

:)

I am assuming you do not hold your support hand that far out on the gun?

Street Survival
04-04-08, 19:46
Affirmative. Any ideas???

Jay Cunningham
04-04-08, 19:47
Affirmative. Any ideas???

Yes.

Start holding your support hand that far out on the gun! Use your support thumb to bump the rocker switch!

:cool:

Street Survival
04-04-08, 19:53
I understand what you are saying but I don't think it will work. #1 the barrel will be hot and it's unnatural to reach out that far. I need a better option. I appreciate your input.

Jay Cunningham
04-04-08, 19:57
Why don't you attach one of these to your front sight tower and put your x300 sideways on it?

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/mctar01p.gif

Street Survival
04-04-08, 20:08
Hi TheKatar,

You have given a viable plan B. Thank you very much.

I have already purchased the Hahn Precision rail for the barrel and I was looking to utilize it at the perferred 12 o' Clock position, but without the tape switch your method should work nicely.

Is the MI Tactical Mount the best to get if I go that route?

Jay Cunningham
04-04-08, 20:13
Hi TheKatar,

You have given a viable plan B. Thank you very much.

I have already purchased the Hahn Precision rail for the barrel and I was looking to utilize it at the perferred 12 o' Clock position, but without the tape switch your method should work nicely.

Is the MI Tactical Mount the best to get if I go that route?

I was screwing around with a Sporter Lightweight in this pic:

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/4565/sullylightweight006ua8.jpg

the setup is very viable, just loctite it.

Street Survival
04-04-08, 20:25
Thanks TheKartar. I will make a toast in your honor during debrief.

Daveo
04-06-08, 17:46
Does the FSB light mount cover up much of your visibility though? I have a 10.5 LMT upper that I don't have a rail on, and I'd like to add a light. I'm just not sure if I can add a 6P/G2 to the FSB and be okay with it or if I have to add a small piece of pic rail somewhere else and use a tape switch.

Lumpy196
04-06-08, 18:26
the setup is very viable, just loctite it.

The MI set up is VERY viable.

Street Survival
04-06-08, 21:07
Thanks for your help guys.

I still want to get the tape switch for the 12 O' Clock Mount as my field of view will not be obstructed and I think it's the best of both worlds.

Ned Christiansen
04-07-08, 13:38
The mount somebody showed on the previous page is the ILM and the pictured version is available. Upside, it does not clamp to the barrel, if that's an issue with you. Downside, I need the FSB (or complete upper) so I can mill a little locating pad for the rail and tap a hole for the cap screw that holds it on.

The clamp-on version I had on my site is back-burner unless somebody big comes along and want to cut a PO for a bunch of them. I think it has a lot to recommend it but it's complex to machine and therefor expensive.

I have some other designs that are proven and I've done several of..... production and availability are coming soon but not sure when-- so many irons in the fire. The "ILM-JT" is shown in this thread. The silver-solder-on version is really more sanitary looking but just not viable as a production item, custom only really, and as FSB's are married to barrels, when the barrel needs changing there's a complication.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=6399

fivepointoh
04-13-08, 13:51
I have an idea...gimme a chance to plug it into Paint or something to describe it better.

Basically you get a QD type mount to attach to the end of the 3 or 9 o'clock rail. It then goes fwd and extends past the FSB or just out in front of your rail if you have a FRONT BUIS.

From there it would curve up over the barrel w/ another rail in which you would have somewhat like what Ned has been doing.

Just a thought...I have absolutely no machining skills however so I have no clue if it's even possible.

Or possibly a two piece mount w/ a half on each side that attaches to the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. Then the two pieces meet up above the barrel, out front of the FSB or rail. There wouldn't be much of a need for a clamping screw I don't think, due to the light holding the end together.

I'll work on some paint pics in a bit.

ARin
04-26-08, 04:00
please excuse the resurrection of the topic.

but any issues surfacing regarding heat and placement of a light at or near the gas block/fsb?

I was fiddling with the idea of running my ssl-1 at 12 oclock on top of the gas block, but am worried about extreme temps and the plastic mount. aside from that, i cant imagine the high temps being good for battery life/longevity or for the LED emitter. As i understand it, the new high output LED emitters have heat dissipation issues as is.

Street Survival
04-26-08, 07:32
Hey ARin,

I have mine set up off a front sight mount and it seem to be fine so far but I am using a Surefire 300 flashlight.

wichaka
06-18-08, 05:25
Can Someone post a pic of the Hahn 12 o'clock mounted on a rifle. Would like to see what they look like attached.

wichaka
07-04-08, 06:16
Well I couldn't wait for someone to get one and post a pic. So I went and got the Hahn mount. I put on a 6P style light on it, using a low ring mount, and it's way below the line of the standard FSB. Doesn't interfer with the irons at all.

Will post a pic later..........

lindertw
07-04-08, 06:23
Well I couldn't wait for someone to get one and post a pic. So I went and got the Hahn mount. I put on a 6P style light on it, using a low ring mount, and it's way below the line of the standard FSB. Doesn't interfer with the irons at all.

Will post a pic later..........

looking forward to the pics

wichaka
07-05-08, 09:13
Well here it is. It's a 2 piece design, with upper and lower sections. 2 screws hold it on. and keep it secure, as well as locking into the bayo lug, to keep it upright.
This is on a Colt 6920 with the M4 barrel. If you look close, you'll see a slight gap between the upper and lower pieces. That's because it's made for a slightly thinner barrel, but is made to work on this size as well.
The only problem I encountered, is that the two screws that come with it are different lengths. So because of the thicker barrel, which left some gap, I had to get another longer screw to tighten it down properly. Not sure why they sent 2 diff length screws.......maybe their bad?

The light in no way is even close to the iron sights, so you get a clean sight picture. And it doesn't show up in viewing thru the Aimpoint on the LaRue mount either.

In working with it in low light stuff......all I can say is wow! If you haven't used a 12 o'clock mount, you don't know what you're missing. The light is always where your sights are, with no shadows, and the light is equal everywhere.

The light I've used here is a Pelican M6, typical to the SF 6P etc.

http://w3.gorge.net/scshields/hahnmount.jpg

lindertw
07-05-08, 09:16
thanks for the pic - I just placed an order.

SGTMAJ
05-26-09, 11:35
anybody know does han still make the 12 o colock mount?

Mr. Happy
06-17-09, 13:22
Looks like it: http://www.hahn-precision.com/armory/ar15.htm, $95.

DRich
06-17-09, 14:30

Damn...I paid $45 for mine a few years ago when Brownells carried them.

http://hudsdad.com/pics/cdm4le1.jpg

CLHC
06-18-09, 12:12
Hmmm. . .Just may have to find out if it's "fit to be tried" for me. :cool:

Thanks for the heads up!

Lostinthewoods
07-15-09, 18:37
Old thread w/ some good info:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19458

DeputyMend
09-03-09, 12:42
What about this? If you flipped this over and cut those bolts down a little it would probably work great. There is a version with 5 slots as well.

http://milsurpstuff.com/prodimages/MNTBR002S.jpg
http://milsurpstuff.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MNTBR002S&cat=10

wichaka
09-03-09, 19:29
Here's the mount with a TLR-1 and a tape switch. I ran it thru a heavy rifle class in July with 104 degree heat, and the light never got hot. We ran 700 roundsin 6 hrs of class.

http://w3.gorge.net/scshields/coltm42.jpg

Victory
09-27-09, 16:27
Does anyone have any experience with Mako's offering?

http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BSR-1&Category_Code=_irs

-Vic

Bimmer
11-24-09, 16:14
What about this?

+1

I'm hesitant to put anything from Leaper's on my gun, but it occurs to me that the beautiful Hahn mount is a $95 solotion to a $7 problem.

Bimmer

Belmont31R
11-27-09, 17:26
I like the X300 on the top rail. Slight thumb movement to turn it on off.

With the LaRue mount the light does block the lower 1/3 of your FOV. However with both eyes open shooting you no longer see it. One eye is comparable to having a FSB in the way...a bit more than just a FSB but you can still shoot just fine.

I could run the stock clamp on mount but I like having the light up a little higher so you dont get as big of a shadow from the rail and barrel. Obviously the further up you move the light the less the shadow is going to be. With the URX rail you have the integrated sight so I dont want to block that coming up. The light does block use of the irons but if I need to use the light because its so dark I wont be able to see to use the irons anyways, and I keep the mount loose enough its very easy to take off but still snug enough it doesnt move.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj245/BM31R/IMG_1490.jpg

texag
12-04-09, 11:40
Mounting a pistol type weaponlight at 12:00 was the main reason I bought a DDM4. Started with a TLR1, which I thought was ok but I could barely see my front sight over it and the controls could be better as support side shooting. I recently switched to a X300 and it solves those problems. The TLR1 now resides on my pistol.

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs120.snc3/16769_10100161099237714_8368319_59602902_1191934_n.jpg

SoDak
12-04-09, 14:26
+1

I'm hesitant to put anything from Leaper's on my gun, but it occurs to me that the beautiful Hahn mount is a $95 solotion to a $7 problem.

Bimmer

The barrel mount from MFI might be another option(I don't have one so I can't say for sure).http://mfiap.com/smallarms/barrel-mount-single.htm

Bimmer
12-08-09, 16:54
The barrel mount from MFI might be another option(I don't have one so I can't say for sure).http://mfiap.com/smallarms/barrel-mount-single.htm

This is more like it... $30 instead of $95.

I've got the UTG on the way ($6.50, shipping included, from Amazon), and I'll give it a whirl.

Just looking at photos of these, my sense is that the MFI mount is much taller than the UTG (or Hahn) mount. Lower would be better...

DeputyMend
12-12-09, 12:50
It just occured to me that a railed gas block clamped in front of the front sight post would work extremly well. After looking around on brownells I can see a couple really good options. YHM also has several good options.

http://yankeehill.bizland.com/store/media/YHM-9385A_sm.jpg

Bimmer
12-12-09, 14:45
It just occured to me that a railed gas block clamped in front of the front sight post would work extremly well. [/IMG]

Why would this be better than a simple barrel mount? It costs more, it's almost certainly heavier, and it puts the rail up higher...

I'm no UTG fan, but my new $6.50 barrel mount arrived yesterday, and it looks fine. It actually comes with three sets of screws, so the screws won't protrude like they do in all the photos. It's aluminum, and extremely light (maybe a half ounce?). Now I have to wait until Santa brings me a TLR-1 to mount it (so I can get the distance to the FSB correct).

Bimmer

DeputyMend
12-13-09, 14:18
I dont think that the gas block would be better, I was just brainstorming. I know that many people on this board are reluctant to bolt anything on their gun that costs less than $40 ;)

Bimmer,
I would love to see some pictures once you get your light.

LonghunterCO
12-13-09, 15:47
It just occured to me that a railed gas block clamped in front of the front sight post would work extremly well. After looking around on brownells I can see a couple really good options. YHM also has several good options.

On a typical gas block journal the diameter ofthe journal/barrel is .75". most barrels then step down a few thousands of an inch out to the end of barrel. In using a gasblock as a light base, the block may or may not have enough travel to clamp down on the area area of the journal.

SoDak
12-13-09, 19:57
Why would this be better than a simple barrel mount? It costs more, it's almost certainly heavier, and it puts the rail up higher...

I'm no UTG fan, but my new $6.50 barrel mount arrived yesterday, and it looks fine. It actually comes with three sets of screws, so the screws won't protrude like they do in all the photos. It's aluminum, and extremely light (maybe a half ounce?). Now I have to wait until Santa brings me a TLR-1 to mount it (so I can get the distance to the FSB correct).

Bimmer

What does the UTG mount look like?

I'm still interested in getting an MFI mount though since they make an ak specific one.

Bimmer
12-13-09, 22:01
What does the UTG mount look like?

I'm still interested in getting an MFI mount though since they make an ak specific one.

Google "utg universal single rail mount."

Like I said, it comes with three sets of screws, so they won't protrude as much as in the official photos. My thought is to use it upside-down (with the rail upwards) as a 12 o'clock mount for a TLR-1.

I haven't mounted mine yet (waiting waiting waiting for a light), but I can hardly believe how nice and even the finish is. The screw threads seem nice and clean, too. I'll have to put my dial calipers on the rail section to see if it's in spec, but it looks good to me...

I know that UTG stuff is typically crap, but I've also got one of their $20 soft cases, and it's also astoundingly nice (significantly nicer than my $50 Springfield Armory or Eagle cases).

Go ahead, now flame me for buying UTG...

Bimmer

SoDak
12-13-09, 22:52
So it looks like this one?http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-utg-universal-single-rail-barrel-mount-2-picatinny-slots-fits-barrel-diameter.html
I wouldn't rag on you for buying something like this from utg since the only other similar products products I can think of would be the MFI mount or the surefire barrel clamp. Plus I wouldn't think utg could screw this up, but I've been wrong before(I hope it does work).

CLHC
12-13-09, 23:50
Saw this "thing" (pictured below) while perusing the Information Super Highway. Does anyone here have any knowledge about this X3 Integrated Rail System?

http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/X3_IRS_ii.jpg
http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae360/chc_hmc/X3_IRS.jpg

My guess, from the illustrations, is that it appears one can have and choose three (3) different mounting location options for an illuminator or a combination of lights/lasers and what-not.

Bimmer
12-14-09, 13:10
So it looks like this one?

That's it, exactly.

I wouldn't rag on you for buying something like this from utg since the only other similar products products I can think of would be the MFI mount or the surefire barrel clamp. Plus I wouldn't think utg could screw this up, but I've been wrong before(I hope it does work).

This is my thinking exactly...

I'm not proud of having bought stuff from Harbor Freight, either, but for bungee cords, zip ties, and pry bars (anything without moving parts), they seem to be as good as anybody else's, just a LOT less expensive.

Bimmer

EzGoingKev
12-14-09, 13:27

Please pardon my stupidity, but wouldn't that get the light hot as hell if you were firing a lot of rounds?

Bimmer
12-14-09, 15:40
Please pardon my stupidity, but wouldn't that get the light hot as hell if you were firing a lot of rounds?

I think this could be a problem with anything attached to the barrel in any way...

FWIW, I think the gas block gets especially hot because it has hot combustion gas flowing through it. A non-functional gas block shouldn't get as hot. A barrel mount (like the UTG or MFI) doesn't have as much contact with the barrel and shouldn't conduct as much heat to the light.

In any case, as I imagine it, if the SHTF, then I'd need my light to navigate and/or to ID targets, and that probably comes BEFORE putting a lot of rounds downrange.
I'm a civilian, and I honestly can't imagine a SHTF scenario in which I need (or have the opportunity) to fire more than two or three mags and get the barrel mount hot enough to damage the light.

Bimmer

NCPatrolAR
12-26-09, 23:05
Google "utg universal single rail mount."

Like I said, it comes with three sets of screws, so they won't protrude as much as in the official photos. My thought is to use it upside-down (with the rail upwards) as a 12 o'clock mount for a TLR-1.

I haven't mounted mine yet (waiting waiting waiting for a light), but I can hardly believe how nice and even the finish is. The screw threads seem nice and clean, too. I'll have to put my dial calipers on the rail section to see if it's in spec, but it looks good to me...

I know that UTG stuff is typically crap, but I've also got one of their $20 soft cases, and it's also astoundingly nice (significantly nicer than my $50 Springfield Armory or Eagle cases).

Go ahead, now flame me for buying UTG...

Bimmer

Have you tried a light on this yet?

Bimmer
12-26-09, 23:42

Nope, no light yet. Santa brought me a Harris bipod instead (no complaints). I'm still looking for good deals on C4 TLR-1s, but I want a scope for my .22, too...

I'll update when I get this set up,

Bimmer

QuietShootr
12-26-09, 23:45
Has anyone with the Hahn mount fired about six magazines through their weapon and then posted a picture of what happens to the light?

I wouldn't mount anything to the barrel. Others MMV, of course. I once saw a GI side-sling adapter get hot enough that the plastic coating on the sling loop was dripping off the loop.

lindertw
12-27-09, 06:24
Has anyone with the Hahn mount fired about six magazines through their weapon and then posted a picture of what happens to the light?

I have (http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=16681) (link).

Testing occurred at the NRA indoor range in Fairfax, VA. Colt 6920 w/iron sights; magazines were a mix of PMAG/Colt/Bravo Company 30-rounders; ammo was Prvi Partizan M193 55gr BT FMJ - 300 rounds fired. I experienced one (1) failure to feed (round 27 of 28 in magazine #3).

Target was a 3"x5" card @ 25 yards, firing as soon as I could acquire the sights but slow enough to keep 'em on the card. Testing began at 7:00pm and concluded at 7:45pm.

Temp readings were taken with a Fluke mini 62 IR thermometer. I did the best I could to get good temp readings; if something seemed off I ran the temp again to verify - curved surfaces can be tricky The temp reading on the handgaurd was at the 2 o'clock area.

The light held up well. The bottom plate that snaps in the picatinny rail showed no signs of melting/deformation. The plastic side rails that screw into the bottom of the light seem soft. I can't remember if these were the same hard polymer as the bottom plate or not. I'm going to keep and eye on them, and order a replacement set from Surefire just to have on hand...

What's not readily apparent in the pics from my first post is that the mount only touches the barrel at point "A" shown; the rest of the mount is free float.

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/temp_readings.jpg

http://i910.photobucket.com/albums/ac306/lindertw/temp_test_final.jpg

I have a buddy who is running a Surefire G2 with the Hahn mount on his 6920, but so far he's only subjected it to maybe 200 rounds in an hour range session at a time (no issues related to heat to date).

Hope this helps...

QuietShootr
12-27-09, 09:25
I think there's something wrong with your thermometer, and I say that because I don't find the figure of 316 degrees for the barrel after 6 magazines to be believable.

Anyway, it's not for me. Thanks for the information.

Pathfinder Ops
01-14-10, 18:07
Why don't you attach one of these to your front sight tower and put your x300 sideways on it?

http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/images/products/mctar01p.gif

This doesn't qualify as the 12 o'clock position. It would seem to me that its a side mount just high up.

Pathfinder Ops
01-14-10, 18:10
Guys maybe this has been asked and I missed it but the old sniper in me gets weirded out by clamping things to my barrel.

Is this an issue regarding accuracy/ performance to clamp something to a carbine barrel?

Just wondering because I have never really noted any talk about it.

Bimmer
01-15-10, 01:15
I think there's something wrong with your thermometer, and I say that because I don't find the figure of 316 degrees for the barrel after 6 magazines to be believable.

Why not? This seems entirely credible (almost predicatable) to me.

Bimmer
01-15-10, 01:20
Is this an issue regarding accuracy/ performance to clamp something to a carbine barrel?

Honestly, I don't know.

It definitely could change the barrel harmonics, which could impact accuracy and/or POI. Whether it would do so to a significant degree (or positively or negatively), I really don't know.

Mounting a silencer doesn't seem to change accuracy or POI significantly (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), and a mount and light don't weigh any more.

Moreoever, whether it's clamped to the barrel or mounted on an un-free floated handguard or rail, it's still hanging on the barrel.

Maybe somebody more knowledgeable can chime in here...

Bimmer

Bimmer
01-15-10, 23:10

I just received a Streamlight TLR-1 C4 ($69 shipped, eBay).

I put it on my UTG universal mount ($6.50 shipped, Amazon), and it looks like it'll work.

Sorry, no photos, the digital camera is out of town with the missus...

The UTG mount is held on by four hex-head bolts, and it has contact with the barrel on four sides for its entire length. I only used the short end of the L-wrench that was included (and no Loc-Tite), but it seems really, really secure.
It's going to rain here the next 4-5 days, and then I'm at work, and then I'm out of town, so I won't be able to try to shoot it loose for a couple weeks.

The UTG mount's rail is only 1" or so long, but that's almost exactly the same length of the TLR-1's mount. It's like the two were made for each other.

The front and tail of the light hang over the mount at the ends. I wound up with the rail about 1" forward of the FSB, so the TLR's toggle switches straddle (but don't touch) the FSB.
It's definitely placed further back than the Surefire on the Hahn mount, as posted by lindertw). I can easily wrap my hand around the bayo lug to toggle the light's switch with my thumb (I have orangutan arms and usually have my hands towards the front of my mid-length handguards, anyway).

The front of the TLR-1 protrudes over the base of my FH, and there's about 1/4" clearance.

My TLR-1 sits ever so slightly higher than the Surefire on the Hahn mount in lindertw's photo, but I don't know if it's because the mount is taller or because the TLR-1 is bigger than the Surefire.

The mount is aluminum, and I didn't weight it, but it feels like it doesn't weigh much of anything. The TLR-1 weighs whatever they do. My rifle feels a bit more nose-heavy than I remember, but it still balances at the mag well, so no big deal.

So, I'm completely satisfied, at least so far. I'm not proud to have put something from UTG on my rifle (mercifully, the mount is totally unmarked), but this little piece seems to be a gem.

Bimmer

Jay Cunningham
01-15-10, 23:26
This doesn't qualify as the 12 o'clock position. It would seem to me that its a side mount just high up.

Thanks Mr. Obvious.

If you actually go and read, you'll see that I was answering a specific question from a board member.

Pathfinder Ops
01-16-10, 06:31
Thanks Mr. Obvious.

If you actually go and read, you'll see that I was answering a specific question from a board member.

My bad... sorry.

DeputyMend
02-04-10, 19:04
To those people running a P6 or G2 type light at 12 o clock, how hard is it to activate? Seems like it would be awkward. I ask because I have several G2s floating around..

Tornado_Racing
04-17-10, 04:25
Does anyone have any experience with Mako's offering?

http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BSR-1&Category_Code=_irs

-Vic

I ordered one and it should be here today. Gonna give it a try with a Streamlight TRL-3. I'll post pics later today.

Tornado_Racing
04-17-10, 08:24
Here are some pics of the MAKO BSR-1 Barrel Rail Mount (http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BSR-1&Category_Code=_Benelli). I purchased it at SKD (http://www.skdtac.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKO.101) for $24.85 shipped (via USPS Priority Mail and took 2 days)

The mount is lightweight anodized aluminum (not hardcoated) and will fit a minimum barrel O.D. of .550".

Option 1
Clamping mount close to GB w/Streamlight TLR-3 at 6 o'clock. Can operate weapon light with index finger.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/174/dscf2268j.jpg

Option 2
Clamping mount Close to GB w/Streamlight TLR-3 at 12 o'clock. Hard to operate weapon light with thumb.
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/377/dscf2271v.jpg

Option 3
Clamping mount away from GB (less heat transfer) w/Streamlight TLR-3 at 6 o'clock. Can operate weapon light with index finger.
http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6276/dscf2274e.jpg

Option 4
Clamping mount away from GB (less heat transfer) w/Streamlight TLR-3 at 12 o'clock. MBUS & MAKO BSR-1 moved back. Easy to operate weapon light with thumb.
This is my prefered option so far.
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/3133/dscf2280.jpg

Dennis
05-02-10, 00:30
Why spend the $$$ to free float a barrel and then hang something off of it?

Just sayin... ;)

Dennis.

S391
05-10-10, 20:57
I'm running a DD Omega rail and I find that a light at the 12 o'clock position works great.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/Best_one_yet.jpg

Kilo6
05-26-10, 10:52
I have been experimenting with light mount positioning and have found the 12o'clock works best for me. A couple of pics of the TLR-1 on the plinker.

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/4/3/4/9/4349417/705190.jpg?662

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/4/3/4/9/4349417/6226026.jpg?660

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/4/3/4/9/4349417/6383904.jpg?661

http://www.weebly.com/uploads/4/3/4/9/4349417/9548375.jpg?659

blackscot
06-02-10, 06:10
I wonder whether this set-up would have enough clearance to position beneath a conventional FSB. Seems the bayo lug would proabably get in the way.

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/6276/dscf2274e.jpg
ETA -- I just found that Mako also makes this. I've been thinking of trying an X300 at 6-o-clock. But it would have to come back under the FSB far enough to easily reach the controls (I don't want to have to add a tape switch). For thirty bucks, this might be just what I was looking for.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/bayo-mount_1.gif http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n232/blackscot/bayo-mount_2.gif

Dennis
06-02-10, 15:42
I wonder whether this set-up would have enough clearance to position beneath a conventional FSB. Seems the bayo lug would proabably get in the way.

I still don't see why you would pay for a really nice FF rail and then hang something off the barrel...

Just sayin.

Dennis.

Bimmer
06-02-10, 15:55
Here are some pics of the MAKO BSR-1 Barrel Rail Mount (http://www.makosecurity.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BSR-1&Category_Code=_Benelli). I purchased it at SKD (http://www.skdtac.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=MKO.101) for $24.85 shipped (via USPS Priority Mail and took 2 days)

The mount is lightweight anodized aluminum (not hardcoated) and will fit a minimum barrel O.D. of .550".
Option 4
Clamping mount away from GB (less heat transfer) w/Streamlight TLR-3 at 12 o'clock. MBUS & MAKO BSR-1 moved back. Easy to operate weapon light with thumb.
This is my prefered option so far.
http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/3133/dscf2280.jpg

Hmmm... the Mako item is only held on by 2 screws, and it costs 4x as much as the comparable UTG item.

Anyway, I've got something like option 4, and it also think it's pretty close to ideal (I don't have a railed handguard).

Bimmer

blackscot
06-03-10, 06:00
I still don't see why you would pay for a really nice FF rail and then hang something off the barrel.......

I agree regarding Tornado_Racing's original photo, but in my case the clamp would be in front of an MOE handguard.

Hmmm... the Mako item is only held on by 2 screws, and it costs 4x as much as the comparable UTG item.

Yeah, and it hangs very low and from just the bayo lug as the single attach point. I didn't have to think on it much further to ditch the idea.

Dennis
06-03-10, 12:25
I agree regarding Tornado_Racing's original photo, but in my case the clamp would be in front of an MOE handguard.

Ooops, didn't notice the original photo owner. I used the original SF barrel clamps back in the day and was happy as punch with them. 12:00 does seem the way to go if you can get your mounting/activation/FSB/BUIS issues worked out.

For now I'll just be an hour behind at 11:00 until they come up with cleaner mounting systems/lights/etc.

Good luck!

Dennis.

blackscot
06-03-10, 15:43
Ooops, didn't notice the original photo owner..........

For now I'll just be an hour behind at 11:00 until they come up with cleaner mounting systems/lights/etc.

No problem. ;)

And I agree again, and am sticking with my current 10-11 o-clock config using just a G2 on a VTAC mount. I'd like something more ambidextrous, but other options seem to just create other issues.

Dennis
06-03-10, 16:17
No problem. ;)

And I agree again, and am sticking with my current 10-11 o-clock config using just a G2 on a VTAC mount. I'd like something more ambidextrous, but other options seem to just create other issues.

11:00 works both sides for me using the thumbs over rail grip. You just have to reach a bit more when offside.

Dennis.

usmcvet
07-23-10, 03:00
I'm running a DD Omega rail and I find that a light at the 12 o'clock position works great.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/S682/Best_one_yet.jpg

That rail makes me wish I had a carbine length gas system. DD please make this for mid length carbines!

E-man930
07-27-10, 17:56
Before I start a seperate thread - I wanted to ask here.

This is for anyone who has the Danger Close Low Pro Scout Mount with a Mini-Scout light attached to their carbine on the top rail, either in front of or behind the front backup sight...

Can you please take a picture or two of the above mentioned setup and post it back in this thread? I would like to see how far / close the head / tail of the light is in relation to the front sight. I have a set of Troy flip ups and Daniel Defense fixed and I want to make sure I can use this mount in some capacity on the top rail on two carbines best case scenario. I have the VTAC version of the Troy Extreme rail and run it without and side or bottom rails attached. I would like to mate the Danger Close mount with a mini Scout light and then mount this onto the rail directly behind the front sight with hopes the scout head clears the side of the front back up sight...

I figured if I asked here first I can save myself and the manufacturer some time / headaches if this setup does not co-exist.

Thanks for your input / help.

E-man

Tornado_Racing
08-13-10, 07:13
Why spend the $$$ to free float a barrel and then hang something off of it?

Just sayin... ;)

Dennis.

With the light on the top of the rail, I don't like how the lower half of the sight picture is blocked. With a barrel mount (light is lowered) I can see more through the RDS.

SGTMAJ
08-20-10, 07:31
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p240/sgtmaj-15/photo-15.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p240/sgtmaj-15/photo-14.jpg

Got the Hahn works great with my UniMax green and Surefire X300

jasonhgross
08-20-10, 08:00
No problem. ;)

I tried all sorts of options, but by far this is my favorite so far.

usmcvet
09-11-10, 08:02
Here is my new light mounted on my VTAC rail. I was worried the light would not be tight enough. I tried to remove it after installing it. I could not do it with out an extra set of hands.This is good and bad. Battery changes will be tough. I installed the P backing. I might try the universal backing to see if it holds well enough and I can remove it by myself. I think a LaRue QD mount is in my future. I love the location of this light.

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1367

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1366

https://www.m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=279&pictureid=1365

Slinger646
09-13-10, 18:20
DD M4 With a Surefire X300
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/slinger646/Guns/DDM4/IMG_3615.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i68/slinger646/Guns/DDM4/IMG_3606.jpg

kartoffel
09-13-10, 21:49
Today I tested an Insight Procyon light at 12 o'clock on the new AR. Controls-wise, it works pretty darn well. Only problem is that the Procyon seems to be little taller than comparable Streamlight or Surefire pistol lights.

I like a nice unobstructed sight picture. The light sticks up just enough to be bothersome, IMHO. You can see the round top of the bezel sticking up just higher than flat top of the front sight. Would you live with that much bezel sticking into the sight picture? I'll admit it's not the end of the world but it does protrude enough to be noticable in (possibly) a bad way. This was just a test fit using an old well-used Procyon pistol light. If I decide it's tolerable I'll probably pick up a new WX-150 at some point. WX-150's have the same external dimensions and replace the discontinued Procyon.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4116/4988272381_248f29803e_b.jpg

Even with a small aperture it's not quite right.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4104/4988870938_17663a8ba9_b.jpg

Well, at least my kitty approves of Insight weaponlights.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4090/4988256903_4b6bdf9b38_b.jpg

kartoffel
09-14-10, 12:32
Mounting a pistol type weaponlight at 12:00 was the main reason I bought a DDM4. Started with a TLR1, which I thought was ok but I could barely see my front sight over it and the controls could be better as support side shooting. I recently switched to a X300 and it solves those problems.

This helps clear things up for me quite a bit. I can live with an WX150/Procyon at 12 o'clock but it gets in the way just enough to be bothersome. According to the factory dimensions, a TLR1 is 60 thou shorter than the Insight lights.

Looks like I'll be shopping for a deal on an X300.

ra2bach
09-14-10, 20:34
Today I tested an Insight Procyon light at 12 o'clock on the new AR. Controls-wise, it works pretty darn well. Only problem is that the Procyon seems to be little taller than comparable Streamlight or Surefire pistol lights.

I like a nice unobstructed sight picture. The light sticks up just enough to be bothersome, IMHO. You can see the round top of the bezel sticking up just higher than flat top of the front sight. Would you live with that much bezel sticking into the sight picture? I'll admit it's not the end of the world but it does protrude enough to be noticable in (possibly) a bad way. This was just a test fit using an old well-used Procyon pistol light. If I decide it's tolerable I'll probably pick up a new WX-150 at some point. WX-150's have the same external dimensions and replace the discontinued Procyon.

not to argue - everyone has their preferences - but for me the WX150 doesn't work at 12 o'clock due to how the paddles actuate. to mount it at 12 it needs to be mounted upside down and when I press down on the paddle, it locks into constant. I suppose some people press up on the paddle...

I like the light and the features but IMO, this is a pistol light and I have it on my P226 where it works great mounted on the underside.

I use a TLR 1 at 12 on my DDM4 as I'm too cheap to get an x300 but I don't have any issues with how much it obscures. YMMV...

usmcvet
09-14-10, 20:53
I use a TLR 1 at 12 on my DDM4 as I'm too cheap to get an x300 but I don't have any issues with how much it obscures. YMMV...[/QUOTE]

I had two TLR1's it is a good light but I do not like the way it turns on and the way it attaches is a PITA I tried not to but buggered the screws. I love the way the X300 turns on too.

GhostB14
01-20-11, 22:26
Here is what I got, 14.5" bbl, BC 1.5, apex 12.5" handguard, DD rail buis. Here is my question:
What are the pros and cons of setting up my X300 with(a.) light bezel flush with end of handguard and (b.) light bezel pushed out past handguard.

I'm thinking the bezel will get less blast/soot if its flush, but since I haven't even got the upper all together yet to shoot I have no way of backing this up. I know I'll lose sight radius, but its buis not target sights. Another benefit is it will (only slightly) move weight back.

Thank You
Patrick Scott

kartoffel
01-20-11, 23:47
Powder fouling won't hurt the light. It wipes right off with a pencil eraser or a rag and some CLP. If you're going to the range, wipe it down with CLP beforehand and it comes off even easier.

NE450No2
02-26-11, 22:32
I have, and several of my buddies have the old SureFire barrel clamp mounts on our AR Carbines, with the light in the 12 O'clock position.

We have had them on our guns for several years, with the aluminium 6P type light, with a tape switch.
We put the tape switch in the 12 O'clock position on the handguard as well, making it east to operate with the off hand thumb.

When we installed the clamp and the light we did have to rezero our rifles. My rifle actually shot quite a bit better with the clamp and light on the barrel. As it effects the zero we left the light on the gun all the time, even when training in the daylight.
We have had no problems with bulbs or batteries even using 2 seperate 123 batteries instead of the shrink wrap SureFire set they used to sell.

Mounting in the 12 O'clock position is a good idea IMHO, as it is in a non used place, and it does not make the gun any wider, and it will fit in any rifle case. Also with the tape switch in the 12 oclock position as well it will usually not be activated.

You can also back off the bezel of the light, but I have not found that to be necessary.

I also like to have more than one light on my rifles, the rails that attach to the front sight triangle work great for this as well on a 16" carbine.
It is easy to work the light with your off hand thumb.

I like to have an indoor light and a brighter outdoor light.

DontCome2MyHouse
02-07-12, 21:27
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FM2I4t6MpyE/TxOSM2tE0YI/AAAAAAAABZs/R2dudRdtqbA/s800/DSC_0003.jpg

wichaka
02-08-12, 09:04
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p240/sgtmaj-15/photo-15.jpg

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p240/sgtmaj-15/photo-14.jpg

Got the Hahn works great with my UniMax green and Surefire X300

Are you able to get an unobstructed view of your front sight with that set up?

DontCome2MyHouse
02-10-12, 06:11
Why I mount on the 12 o'clock position. This pic was in a magazine I have.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-PyFUCEFQFMI/TzRqWe_cLEI/AAAAAAAABdU/9nKtmohy4Oo/s800/IMAG0888.jpg

Wormydog1724
02-20-12, 19:45
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/b40e97c6.jpg

or

http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/d6c92697.jpg
http://i416.photobucket.com/albums/pp247/wormydog1724/4edb2d28.jpg

Tennesseevolz
03-31-12, 19:16
I have a 10" Troy rail w/ KAC flip ups, can I move the front back and mount the x300 in front of it? It would save some rail space-

2theXtreme
04-06-12, 08:44
http://img.tapatalk.com/46ad382c-f33e-1142.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

masakari
04-29-12, 17:17
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there a 12 o'clock rail mount for lightweight barrels? Im looking into getting a BCM lightweight midlength upper and would like to mount a Streamlight TLR 1 in front of the front sight.
Thanks

Bimmer
04-29-12, 17:55
My cheap "universal" clamp-on barrel-mounted rail works fine on my lightweight barrel...

outrider627
05-01-12, 02:27
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there a 12 o'clock rail mount for lightweight barrels? Im looking into getting a BCM lightweight midlength upper and would like to mount a Streamlight TLR 1 in front of the front sight.
Thanks

If youre gonna use an FSB, take a look at the Mossie Tactics light mount:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95251

masakari
05-01-12, 15:15
If youre gonna use an FSB, take a look at the Mossie Tactics light mount:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95251

Exactly what i was looking for. Thank you sir
But just to keep my options open, will the hahn precision mount work with lightweight barrels? What other mounts will?

alex71
05-21-12, 20:39
I have a 10" Troy rail w/ KAC flip ups, can I move the front back and mount the x300 in front of it? It would save some rail space-
Should work just fine

Buck
05-21-12, 23:33

Should work just fine

I have a better idea...

pbr streetgang
05-29-12, 20:06
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/pbr-streetgang/a4e150fc.jpg
http://i991.photobucket.com/albums/af32/pbr-streetgang/11019770.jpg

DD236
06-01-12, 21:05
Daniel Defense middy with 13 Troy Alpha rail. Run a TLR1 at 12 o'clock (mounted all the way forward on the rail) just in front of a DD fixed front sight. I run the butterfly switch with my thumb on the same side of my support hand (usually support hand = left hand...run the left side of the butterfly switch). I love this set up...lightweight, streamline and very ergonomic for me.

SW-Shooter
06-01-12, 22:55
I have a better idea...

You can't just leave us hanging like that, it ain't right. Now I won't be able to sleep until I know.

Buck
06-02-12, 00:25
You can't just leave us hanging like that, it ain't right. Now I won't be able to sleep until I know.

If you happen to have a low profile gas block under a free float rail and are to partial to the Troy folding front sight.

What I think would be of use is a rock solid mount that would take up zero rail space and let you mount a x300 or TLR1 in the 12 o'clock position above the barrel, and yet when the sight is folded down, the top of the light should not extend past the top of the folded sight.

S/F

B

Buck
07-01-12, 16:41

As promised...

http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/wlights3.html#mt

S/F

B

Shao
01-04-13, 13:41
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but doesn't the cut off of light produced by the barrel/rail/mount using a 12 o'clock mount drive you guys absolutely nuts? I tried mounting 12 o'clock but the total loss of ground lighting made me quickly change my mind. I don't want to have to point my rifle at the ground to see what's there - it should be illuminated by default. Unless you're fighting a possessed Linda Blair, I would think that there would be more threats on the ground than on the ceiling... thoughts???

Bimmer
01-04-13, 13:48
Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place, but doesn't the cut off of light produced by the barrel/rail/mount using a 12 o'clock mount drive you guys absolutely nuts? I tried mounting 12 o'clock but the total loss of ground lighting made me quickly change my mind. I don't want to have to point my rifle at the ground to see what's there - it should be illuminated by default. Unless you're fighting a possessed Linda Blair, I would think that there would be more threats on the ground than on the ceiling... thoughts???

Somebody who knows more about this than I do is sure to respond, but in the meantime...

If your gun is pointed in a safe direction, at the ground in front of you, then the light will be pointed at the ground in front of you and the shadow of the barrel behind you. Do the same with a 6 o'clock mount, and the shadow of the barrel will be directly in front of you.

In any case, I wouldn't use the light on my gun to "navigate," i.e., to see where I'm going. Pointing your gun at everything that you want illuminated sounds like really poor muzzle discipline.

Use the light on the gun to identify potential targets. Use a handheld flashlight to navigate.

Shao
01-04-13, 13:58
Somebody who knows more about this than I do is sure to respond, but in the meantime...

If your gun is pointed in a safe direction, at the ground in front of you, then the light will be pointed at the ground in front of you and the shadow of the barrel behind you. Do the same with a 6 o'clock mount, and the shadow of the barrel will be directly in front of you.

In any case, I wouldn't use the light on my gun to "navigate," i.e., to see where I'm going. Pointing your gun at everything that you want illuminated sounds like really poor muzzle discipline.

Use the light on the gun to identify potential targets. Use a handheld flashlight to navigate.

I hear what you're saying, I should have been clearer -but I was talking about a SHTF situation where you're confronted by hostiles in a dark environment, with no friendlies around. I don't want to say the Z word, but anything like that - I would rather have my weapon in the ready position to fire. I know that it's poor muzzle control, but I have great trigger finger control and as long as my finger is off the trigger, in those particular situations, I don't see a real issue with using your rifle to illuminate things while navigating. Hostile territories require hostile tactics...

EDIT: That being said, I've been training with a 6 o'clock mount for years, feel most comfortable with it, and will likely continue using it for the forseeable future. Until someone makes a muzzle device with integrated LED light. :)

Bimmer
01-04-13, 14:15
I hear what you're saying, I should have been clearer -but I was talking about a SHTF situation where you're confronted by hostiles in a dark environment, with no friendlies around. I don't want to say the Z word, but anything like that - I would rather have my weapon in the ready position to fire. I know that it's poor muzzle control...

Hostile territories require hostile tactics...

It's up to you: you can set up your gun for the real world, or for your zombie fantasy...

Failure2Stop
01-04-13, 15:51

By default the gun should be pointed at the lowest portion of the closest possible threat, which provides observation around and above the weapon. If carrying the gun at high port, the barrel will block some light, which is easily solved by light bouncing off the overhead and by simply offsetting or twisting the gun slightly to provide illumination where you need it.

The 6:00 mount blocks light exactly where I want it; above my muzzle, and it interferes with horizontal support/cover.

Trying to search/scan/patrol with the gun at the ready/high ready is extremely tiring, and forces you to muzzle pretty much everything you illuminate at close range.

If you like what you do and don't want to change, it's no skin off my nose. I'm not the gear/guns/tactics police or getting your money to help you become more effective, do whatever you prefer. However, a 12:00 mount is highly usable and effective, adopted and endorsed by numerous high-level performers and instructors. Virtually no-one has endorsed a 6:00 mount since the SF M500 series fell out of favor. And before anyone accuses me of hugging my favorite whatever, I generally use a 1:30 mounted light due to my setup, technique, and preferences.

Shao
01-04-13, 17:16
It's up to you: you can set up your gun for the real world, or for your zombie fantasy...

No zombie fantasy, just an analogy for "when you're surrounded by enemies and there are no friendlies around". Don't get all defensive, I'm not downing the merits of a 12 o'clock mount, just wondering what other people thought of what to me, is a very annoying shadow. Granted, you get an annoying shadow at 6 o'clock as well...

By default the gun should be pointed at the lowest portion of the closest possible threat, which provides observation around and above the weapon. If carrying the gun at high port, the barrel will block some light, which is easily solved by light bouncing off the overhead and by simply offsetting or twisting the gun slightly to provide illumination where you need it.

The 6:00 mount blocks light exactly where I want it; above my muzzle, and it interferes with horizontal support/cover.

Trying to search/scan/patrol with the gun at the ready/high ready is extremely tiring, and forces you to muzzle pretty much everything you illuminate at close range.

If you like what you do and don't want to change, it's no skin off my nose. I'm not the gear/guns/tactics police or getting your money to help you become more effective, do whatever you prefer. However, a 12:00 mount is highly usable and effective, adopted and endorsed by numerous high-level performers and instructors. Virtually no-one has endorsed a 6:00 mount since the SF M500 series fell out of favor. And before anyone accuses me of hugging my favorite whatever, I generally use a 1:30 mounted light due to my setup, technique, and preferences.

Thank you for taking the time to write out a well thought out and informative response instead of jumping down my throat. You bring up valid points and seeing how the popularity of the 12 o'clock has surged recently, there must be SOMETHING to it. I'll give it another go, but I don't know if I'll ever get used to it... too many years training with my light @ 6 o'clock..

cwegga
01-04-13, 23:33
No zombie fantasy, just an analogy for "when you're surrounded by enemies and there are no friendlies around". Don't get all defensive, I'm not downing the merits of a 12 o'clock mount, just wondering what other people thought of what to me, is a very annoying shadow. Granted, you get an annoying shadow at 6 o'clock as well...

Thank you for taking the time to write out a well thought out and informative response instead of jumping down my throat. You bring up valid points and seeing how the popularity of the 12 o'clock has surged recently, there must be SOMETHING to it. I'll give it another go, but I don't know if I'll ever get used to it... too many years training with my light @ 6 o'clock..

Another factor contributing to the popularity of the 12 o'clock mount could be the current popularity of carbines with long free float rails on them. With a 16" barrel and a 15" free float tube, there isn't much barrel in front of the light to cast a shadow.

Shao
01-11-13, 06:09
Well, I gave it another go... I ran around my house with an X300 mounted using a barrel clamp rail. I tried mounting it at different positions, from as far back to as far front as it would go. Regardless of what I did, I was not happy with the result. No matter what I do, my muzzle device casts a huge, dildo-shaped shadow that is more than distracting. True, mounting at 6 gives me a dildo-shaped shadow as well, but I'm used to that shadow. I think I'm going to wait for this 12 o'clock craze to die down. I see its advantages but it just isn't for me. I may give it another go one day if they come up with a dedicated 12 o'clock light (super slim, TIR optics to project beam as much past muzzle as possible, light weight, no rocker or tape switch).

wesshipman
05-11-13, 08:51
DDM4V5 LW with Mossie Tactics TRN Mount and X300 Ultra:

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/wesshipman/IMG_0370_zpsb3f7b72c.jpg (http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/wesshipman/media/IMG_0370_zpsb3f7b72c.jpg.html)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/wesshipman/IMG_0364_zps12b88671.jpg (http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/wesshipman/media/IMG_0364_zps12b88671.jpg.html)

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i327/wesshipman/IMG_0357_zps513002cb.jpg (http://s1088.photobucket.com/user/wesshipman/media/IMG_0357_zps513002cb.jpg.html)

Wormydog1724
05-11-13, 13:24
Well, I gave it another go... I ran around my house with an X300 mounted using a barrel clamp rail. I tried mounting it at different positions, from as far back to as far front as it would go. Regardless of what I did, I was not happy with the result. No matter what I do, my muzzle device casts a huge, dildo-shaped shadow that is more than distracting. True, mounting at 6 gives me a dildo-shaped shadow as well, but I'm used to that shadow. I think I'm going to wait for this 12 o'clock craze to die down. I see its advantages but it just isn't for me. I may give it another go one day if they come up with a dedicated 12 o'clock light (super slim, TIR optics to project beam as much past muzzle as possible, light weight, no rocker or tape switch).

Does your 6 o'clock mount give you a dildo shadow in your line of sight?

j1rubin
05-13-13, 17:56
Good Evening,

I've got a 7inch rail with a railed gas block in front of it. I'm considering putting a x300 on the gas block, but i'm concerned that it might get too hot and damage the light. Has anyone tried this or have any experience with it?

Thanks

Shao
05-13-13, 18:13
Good Evening,

I've got a 7inch rail with a railed gas block in front of it. I'm considering putting a x300 on the gas block, but i'm concerned that it might get too hot and damage the light. Has anyone tried this or have any experience with it?

Thanks

Don't do it. The mounting bracket on the X300 is plastic. You will in all likelihood melt it.

DontCome2MyHouse
08-13-13, 09:15
Oblivion

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-50AWAP84a4A/UgmQ30cXL-I/AAAAAAAADAI/DPDOhEG1LJM/s800/IMG_20130812_214414_157.jpg

Pi3
08-13-13, 09:53
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=124749

http://tangodown.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=146

Has anyone tried & been happy with this tango down adapter?

WS6
02-04-14, 00:02
http://i60.tinypic.com/2ntac0o.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/33agqza.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/20utmi0.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/dlj860.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/14kv3af.jpg
*Wall at roughly 8-10 feet, suppressor shadow not visible through optic viewing window

*250otf lumens, momentary push-constant twist, 3.2oz total weight, 50 minute run-time at full-power on one CR123, tint 6200K.

friendo
02-17-14, 21:55
Now there we go. Genius.

I have a SF mounted at 9:00 on my M4org BCM which is my most accurate carbine but don't use it unless I hear something strange bumping at night or 'yotes howling too close.
Simply because I have never warmed up to a flashlight stuck on the side of my barrel like some parasitic twin. It doesn't weigh that much but I can still feel the weight and it unbalances the carbine, turning it into a safe queen. I've always thought a light somehow centered on top would alleviate that and make me go :).

funkybassplayer
02-20-14, 08:50
Streamlight TLR1 mounted in front of a DD fixed front sight on a Midwest Industries 15" SS gen2 hand guard.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b338/funkybassplayer/802E887D-309B-408C-BBB1-60EB5B62C318_zpswzo6f2z3.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/funkybassplayer/media/802E887D-309B-408C-BBB1-60EB5B62C318_zpswzo6f2z3.jpg.html)

-BTO-

Doc Safari
02-20-14, 09:22
http://w3.gorge.net/scshields/hahnmount.jpg

Did you find that the light lense collects soot easily when mounted in that position?

myates
05-09-14, 08:42
If you use a Surefire X200-300 series light on your rifle or carbine you should take a look at this.

http://allthingstactical.wordpress.com/2014/05/09/dead-light-on-your-long-gun-unity-tacticals-exo-solution/

http://allthingstactical.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/img_0109-1.jpg

Dead Light on your Long Gun: Unity Tactical’s EXO Solution !!!

May 9, 2014 by myates0303 in Gear, Guns, Lights, Training

Most people who have a rifle or carbine for defensive purposes, have a light on it for target identification in low light conditions. These lights run on batteries. An accidental switch activation without your knowledge can drain the batteries leaving you without a possible life saving piece of equipment.

Our friends over at Unity Tactical have a solution for you. The EXO is a replacement mount for your Surefire X 200-300 series weapon lights. It provides a shroud around the switch guarding against inadvertent activations during a critical event and also provides protection during weapon transport and storage ensuring that your light is ready when you are. Stay tuned for videos on the installation and use of this innovative product. The EXO unit replaces the standard rail attachment point on your Surefire X Series light. This means with the tools provided with your Surefire light packaging, you can install and mount the EXO to your existing light. Simply remove the six small allen screws retaining mounting mounting rails, remove them and replace with the EXO, tighten the screws and remount the light as it was before.

The shroud protects what may be the single weak point with the Surefire system, the switch. The EXO provides an impact resistant barrier to this fragile point. At the same time it forces the operator to make a definitive decision to activate the light. There is almost no chance of accidental light activation. This is known as an Accidental Discharge (of the light variety), done during a critical incident.It can lead to exposing your location, exposing your teammates position or causing you or your teammates temporarily to lose night vision, be it natural or electronic assisted. All of these can lead to injury or even fatalities.

I use a C clamp type grip when shooting my rifle, so this puts the light at a natural position for activation. Having the added step of making sure my thumb moves around the shroud to the switch gives me piece of mind knowing I can’t just bump the switch. The EXO unit does not impede the operation of the light in any way. In fact, I think it gives you a more positive indexing point for activation, meaning you won’t find yourself searching for the switch. It almost funnels your thumb to it. The EXO also provides additional protection for the battery compartment latch as well as a strengthened interface with the host weapon.

For more information head over to their website at http://www.unitytactical.com/products/exo/

Mike

All Thing Tactical
www.allthingstactical.wordpress.com

wichaka
06-26-14, 04:13
It does not. Takes a lot of shooting to affect it. But have since gone to a TLR-1, which pulls the light farther back from the muzzle.

jwinch2
06-26-14, 08:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVYx1utqpSg

This looks like the way to go from what I am aware of being on the market to date. WS6's pics above of the set up look good also.