PDA

View Full Version : Tennier Industries Modular Sleep System

mildot
12-22-11, 19:35
So this system(US ARMY) can be had new for around $150? new at mil surplus stores, US CAV sells it for about $400.Any good?, its not for mountain camping but I'm thinking its a modest investment if you camp once or twice a year or for emergency's or SHTF.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a76/mildot326/images1.jpg

Dave L.
12-23-11, 08:23
They system is warm. Only real problems are that the bags are bulky and heavy for their temp ratings.
The money-maker in this system is the Gore-Tex bivy sack. It's pretty bomb-proof. I still have mine and it's very durable.
Look for the just bivy, I would buy different bags.

AFGuy1227
12-23-11, 10:49
They're great sleeping bag systems and I own both the woodland and ACU versions. The systems are very warm although I think the coldest I've used it in was 35 using the light weight section and the gortex bivy sack. They're easy to clean which is a plus, just toss in the washing machine. The only real downside is the system is very bulky when put together. If you can find the ACU version grab it it compresses down a little bit more and comes with two compression sacks.

VooDoo6Actual
12-24-11, 09:02
imo, good system & value however NOT as good insulator when it gets wet as Lamilite.

Dura Mater
12-27-11, 16:42
Great system I got mine for under $200 a couple years back. Very warm and I've used it in all seasons, lowest temp being single digits with no tent. Yes it's heavy but I don't hike very far a few miles at the most. Very good deal and worth every penny.

mildot
12-27-11, 16:44
I picked up a couple of new 4pc systems for $150 ea is that a good deal? I'm just wondering if they are "old" stock though, maybe 10yrs old?

Heavy Metal
12-27-11, 17:41
If the Bivys are woodland, they are old stock. But there is nothing wrong with that if everything is new or in good shape.

I bought one of these system used in good shape last year and I have to admit, it is one of the best pieces of Military gear I have used. I wish I had had one of these when I was in.

The light bag, bivy and a woobie kept me completely warm for a couple nights in near freezing temps last April up in the high country.

mildot
12-27-11, 17:45
The 2 systems I picked were new, I'm thinking the manufacture date may be several years ago though??

Heavy Metal
12-28-11, 17:58
New, unissued surplus turned in from some units go to war stocks.

Likely sat on a shelf a couple of years. May still be in the packaging.

wesprt
12-28-11, 19:16
They're a bit bigger and heavier than the latest and greatest but pretty warm and durable. I've been on the hunt for the mythical "XL" version, the standard is a bit short for comfort at 6'5.

mildot
12-31-11, 11:41
So the bags showed up and it looks like it was 2010 manufacture date.
I had ordered 2 of the old style with the woodland bivi, however they send me a newer ACU version, nice little bonus.All NIW BTW. :)