PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6520 requesting info.

Marc
12-07-07, 08:42
Hello to all from Belgium.

I have the opportunity to buy a Colt 6520 and will appreciate your help.

I am sure someone can tell me when Colt start the production of that carbine?

Can it be possible to find the production year with the serial number?

Does they made some change/improvement during the years and which one?

And for those who own one, what's your opinion about her as an all purpose carbine, training course, target shooting, "practical shooting"?

Pics are welcome.

Thanks.
Marc.

Army Chief
12-07-07, 09:09
This should get you started ...

http://www.colt.com/law/ar15a2.asp

As you can see, the 6520 (aka Government Carbine) is a current production carbine, with all of the usual A2 features. It differs from what we tend to call an "M4-type" carbine in that it has a lightweight barrel profile, narrow handguards and non-removeable carry handle, but functionally it is the same as the LE 6920 "Law Enforcement Carbine," or most any other current Colt AR-15.

I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be especially well-suited for all of the purposes that you've asked about, as this was the standard AR-15A2 carbine configuration that ruled the civilian market for many years before stepped-barrels and removeable carry handles became all the rage.

It's a rock-solid baseline AR-15 carbine that will serve you well.

Chief

TOrrock
12-07-07, 09:28
I have one that I enjoy very much, but mounting optics is not as easy as it is with a flat top.

If you are going to be using the irons exclusively, it's a good choice, and it's a very lightweight carbine. Trijicon makes the Compact ACOGS which will mount on the carry handle, and you can also get a "goose neck" mount which will allow you to mount an Aimpoint or Eotech forward over the handguards.

I don't know what the availablity is like in your part of Europe, but if you have the opportunity, buy it.

Is it chambered in .222 Rem. to get around the regulations regarding military calibers for civillians? I know that Colt chambered the SP-1 in .222 Rem and FN built the FAL in .300 Savage for the European civillian market.

ST911
12-07-07, 09:37
Hello to all from Belgium. I have the opportunity to buy a Colt 6520 and will appreciate your help. I am sure someone can tell me when Colt start the production of that carbine? Can it be possible to find the production year with the serial number? Does they made some change/improvement during the years and which one? And for those who own one, what's your opinion about her as an all purpose carbine, training course, target shooting, "practical shooting"? Pics are welcome. Thanks.
Marc.

The Colt experts among us can give you the historical data. There are also some good reference books out there. If you call Colt for a production date, anticipate a charge. There have been some minor tweaks over the years.

The 6520 is an outstanding basic carbine. Standard issue with my employer, and many others. They arrive properly manufactured and assembled, run and run well. Recommended.

scottryan
12-07-07, 09:54
They started being made in the mid 1980s. It might have been 1987.

Marc
12-07-07, 10:02
Templar, any Colt AR-15/M16 are very very hard to get here Europe as well very expensive when you can find one. You don't know how lucky you are guys!

This is the reason why I hope I may buy her as soon I will have all my paperworks done... in at least three month.

F.N. (I am leaving at 200m of the factory) never produce the FAL in .300Sav. all which are in that caliber have been rebarelled by Gunsmiths because during past we where allowed to buy military firearms without paperwork if in semi auto and "civilian" calibers!

The Colt SP-1 .222Rem. was made by the past mostly for France, but we saw few in Belgium. Here the .223 was rechambered in .222Rem. for the same reasons.

The 6520 I wish to buy is perfectly stock and still in 5,56NATO.

Thanks to all I really appreciate.

rob_s
12-07-07, 10:11
I own two, and I happen to think the 6520 is the best thing going from Colt. I'd love to see them make it in a flattop, but (depending on parts availability over there) you can just buy a stripped flattop and swap it out.

This rifle started life as a NIB 6520. I bought two at the same time, left on mostly stock, and modified this one.
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/rob_s/gun%20stuff/6520-01.jpg

Marc
12-07-07, 10:39
Hi Rob,

I was already thinkink about a flat top and few other mods. like on your 16".

I did read your post about her and 11" sister. Great job... As usual.

But first the gun!

GlockWRX
12-07-07, 12:43
I love my 6520. Light, handy, and plenty accurate. You can build them up like Rob's, or keep them clean and simple like mine (I added a TD grip and an ambi safety). Either way, it's a great gun.

I think it's kind of funny the shooters in Europe chase after Colt's, and the shooters in America lust after AUGs, HKs, AKs and all kinds of other foreign stuff. You always want what you can't have.

TOrrock
12-07-07, 13:04
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Colt%20LE6520/ColtLE6520CAR-15010.jpg

kingc
12-07-07, 21:35
Hello Marc,
Hope you receive the 6520 very soon. I have a few(5) of them and really enjoy the balance and lightness. Purchased them all in 2005-2006 after our Clinton ban went away. They are my favorite model. To get some idea of what age your carbine is, perhaps you could give us part of the serial number. The first letters and the first three numbers. Is yours a new or used purchase?
I'd give you a picture, but my camera is at work now. The previous pictures that were posted are exceedingly awesome.

Randy

Dport
12-07-07, 21:47
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/Colt%20LE6520/ColtLE6520CAR-15010.jpg

That's about as bullet-proof as they come.

Marc
12-08-07, 00:37
Hi Kingc,

Well she is a used (400 rounds!) actually staying in France and belong to a collector.

At first I did try to buy one from States but no one want to export!

First I have to request my authorization and after that an import licence. The owner will also need an export licence so it's going to take "few" months before I became her new proud owner...

I hope everythings will goes well as I really want her. As said at first you don't realize how lucky you are in U.S. You can get almost any firearms as well Europeans made that we can't afford: FN manufacturing, Steyr, HK and others!

My home build 11,5" CAR15 will help me to wait.

Templar picture is a really nice one, A1 grip and the small ACOG is maybe all she need.

Pics still welcome.

Again thanks to all.

rob_s
12-08-07, 08:46
I made similar changes to mine (front side-sling, A1 grip) and I put M4 handguards on it, but as of now don't have optics on it. If I go back to Aimpoints on my primary guns the 6520 may get the 1.5x ACOG.

ARmed&Dangerous
12-09-07, 16:31

Wow...beautiuful gun......

too bad we cant buy these in NY

Failure2Stop
12-09-07, 16:36
too bad we cant buy these in NY

Well. . . you can. . .
and that's the problem with "gun control".

ARmed&Dangerous
12-09-07, 17:04
Well. . . you can. . .
and that's the problem with "gun control".

well, let me rephrase what I said lol

Everywhere in NY except for the 5 boroughs of NYC, you can legally buy an
AR15, but the part that sucks is that the ones sold in NY state are neutered models......

collapsible stocks are fixed, and bayonet lugs are sawed off.... amongst other things I may not be aware of.... but I'm sure once the gun owner buys the rifle, the gun is easily modified anyway....