PDA

View Full Version : My head hurts... Help.

HawaiianBob
12-22-11, 21:02
Ok so I finally decided I would like a shorty and a can.

I am thinking of a DDMk18 for the rifle

I am thinking of an AAC M4-2000 or a SF 556-212

maybe I have been thinking about this the wrong way...

I wanted one can to fit on my 2 14.5's that are pinned and then have it fit on the 10.3 mk18.

A kind of one size fits all type of thing.

After reasearching other people's experiences. I am concerned with the POI shift of the AAC. It seems to fluctuate anywhere from .25 - 6 inches at 50yards... The lower end is fine but 6 inches is not.

I'm guessing that barrel length and size etc affect this.

It seems the surfire cans I have seen do well in the poi shift department. From what I have seen. Is there some magic that I don't know about that makes a sure fire better?

Or is it the luck of it that I have run into more issues with the AAC cans than sure fires?

As I read more is it a better idea to have 1 can dedicated to a Rifle as the poi shift will be different for each rifle?

Really the mk18 will probably have the can locked onto it all the time. While the 2 pinned barrel 14.5 will be shot without a can or maybe every so often.

The other issue I saw was that I think the sure fire can will not. Fit on the mk18 because of the barrel to rail clearance. I hear the M4-2000 might fit on that rifle.

This may sound odd. But would it be a better bet to buy the M4-2000 for the mk18 and then maybe buy a sure fire mini to switch back and forth between the 14.5's?

Sorry it's a long winded post but I have been working on this for a few day now and my head hurts...

Between work and this "fun" stuff I'm kinda burnt.

Thanks ;)

SteveL
12-22-11, 21:25
The other issue I saw was that I think the sure fire can will not. Fit on the mk18 because of the barrel to rail clearance. I hear the M4-2000 might fit on that rifle.

I'm only going to comment on this part of your post because I'm considering the same rifle/suppressor combination in the future.

I called DD and asked them if there was enough room at the muzzle to install a Blackout or Brakeout and mount an M4-2000 on their MK18. The guy I talked to on the phone said it would work, and that it was a popular combination among their customers. He said that you would, however, have to use some shims when installing the Blackout/Brakeout to push it a little farther forward so that there would be enough room for the suppressor.

motoduck
12-23-11, 06:04
I have multiple 5.56 cans (including the two you listed) that I shoot on many different ARs and other 5.56 platforms. My experience has been POI is fairly consistant when mounting the same can to the same gun but unpredictable as you mount one can to multiple guns. Having said that, my Surefire cans have had less POI shift that the AAC M4 2000. I always attributed that fact to the weight differences between the cans and the mounting devises. I also prefer the mount lock on the surefires, they never come loose but the AAC has an annoying habit of losening on a regular basis. I am not knocking the AAC, I shoot it often but this is just my experience. FYI, the AAC sounds quieter to my ear than any of my surefire cans.

96 SS
12-23-11, 09:28
Which AAC mount do you have? 18-51-90?

motoduck
12-23-11, 11:30
I have 51 mounts on 4 ARs, a Robinson M96, HK53 and SBR PS90. I don't ever recall the AAC coming loose on the PS90, but it always works loose on the 5.56 guns. I make it a habit to give the can a quick twist after running a mag (or finish a drill) through the gun I am shooting.

HawaiianBob
12-24-11, 09:54
Thank you for the input.