PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson Quarterly Report

M4arc
12-07-07, 08:51
As I was eyeballing S&W stock I went back and read their last quarterly statement. Here is just a snippet from the report but I think you'll enjoy hearing about how well the M&P is doing in the LE and Military circles:

Now, let me take a minute and talk to you about our accomplishments in the law enforcement channel, where our military and police line of tactical rifles and pistols continues to hit the mark.

Last year's second quarter results contained a particularly large order from the California Highway Patrol. Excluding that single order, law enforcement sales in the second quarter this year were up 28% on a year-over-year basis.

During the quarter, we continued to win sizable agencies, such as the New Mexico State Police, the Charlotte, North Carolina Police; and the Syracuse, New York Police Department. Among law enforcement agencies where the M&P is considered for selection, we're continuing the win T&Es at a win rate of over 80%.

This is happening because we have designed the M&P line of products specifically for law enforcement and military professionals. The number of law enforcement agencies that have purchased, or approved for carry, our M&P pistol has now grown to 264. We will continue to expand on our M&P line at the upcoming SHOT Show, and look forward to sharing some exciting new editions with you, then.

On the federal government front, we continue to closely monitor the landscape for signs of any RFP related to the military's stated desire to shift from a 9 millimeter pistol to a 40-caliber or a 45-caliber pistol, for added stopping power.

Recent information indicates that we will see a new RFI early in calendar 2008, followed by an RFP and evaluation process, later in 2008. We will continue to monitor this situation and respond accordingly, but as we have stated, we intend to vigorously compete for any federal government opportunity that may arrive.

One extremely bright spot in the quarter, was our performance on the international front, with sales growth of 122%. The international market is significant for several reasons; among them, the fact that most of our customers in this channel are military and law enforcement agencies.

In addition to extending the Smith & Wesson brand reach into foreign countries, our international sales results deliver ongoing growth into the professional ranks, a reflection of our overall growth strategy for the future.

We are seeing M&P test evaluations get completed, and business developing most recently in places like Mexico, Canada and Thailand. The M&P pistol is now carried on duty by over 5,000 law enforcement personnel, in 13 countries outside the United States.

Hawkeye
12-07-07, 08:56
Very interesting....

Sam
12-07-07, 09:02
I think their direction and success in the LE and military world started about the time Ernest Langdon joined the company to head that department.

the1911fan
12-07-07, 11:31
for added stopping power. (9,40,45 BS)

^^ Reminds me of the Glock armorers class..."the polygonal rifling squeezing a few more FPS out of the round causing" "greater stopping power" ......sure thing pally must think we are all idiots that believe everything spewed.

Failure2Stop
12-07-07, 11:44
for added stopping power. (9,40,45 BS)

^^ Reminds me of the Glock armorers class..."the polygonal rifling squeezing a few more FPS out of the round causing" "greater stopping power" ......sure thing pally must think we are all idiots that believe everything spewed.

In anything but a .mil context I would agree with you, but since we are constrained to FMJ, this is one of the times that bigger bullets perform markedly better than smaller ones.

230gr FMJ .45 ACP does a good job of dropping people.
M882 9mm FMJ does not.

This is not a 7.62 vs 5.56 thing. The simplicity of wounds caused by FMJ pistol bullets requires the largest diameter bullet possible be placed through important vascular structures.

k9dpd
12-07-07, 16:18
I think their direction and success in the LE and military world started about the time Ernest Langdon joined the company to head that department.
I think it was about the time I bought one and told two friends who then told two friends:D

John_Wayne777
12-07-07, 18:28
I'm thrilled to death to see a great American company doing well.

R1pper
12-07-07, 19:02
I hate to burst every ones bubble, but I just saw a report on the local news that thier stock just fell because of poor quarterly projections. They site a plant shutdown and high promotional spending. The plant and the shooting sports center is about a 10 min ride from my house so that is why it made a big deal on the local news circuit. Hope fully they will rebound from this all, I agree that it is especially nice to see a local much more than an american manufacturer doing well. I can actually remember years ago when there were talks about Smith having some serious financial issues and the fate of the company was unclear at best.

Here is the link http://wwlp.com/Global/story.asp?s=7464950

Sam
12-07-07, 19:10
I think it was about the time I bought one and told two friends who then told two friends:D

Uh, I bought my first one in May 2006, before the Outlaw Bros. thought the M&Ps were cool.

Dport
12-07-07, 19:12
I hate to burst every ones bubble, but I just saw a report on the local news that thier stock just fell because of poor quarterly projections. They site a plant shutdown and high promotional spending. The plant and the shooting sports center is about a 10 min ride from my house so that is why it made a big deal on the local news circuit. Hope fully they will rebound from this all, I agree that it is especially nice to see a local much more than an american manufacturer doing well. I can actually remember years ago when there were talks about Smith having some serious financial issues and the fate of the company was unclear at best.

Heard about this a while back. Supposedly slow rifle sales were to blame, IIRC.

R1pper
12-07-07, 19:21
I have faith they will pull out of it. They are expanding the M&P line, they are finally producing a ban compliant AR, and have even heard from scuttlebutt on here and though people at the shooting sports center that the M&P mag prices are dropping.

Dport
12-07-07, 19:25
I think they'll pull out of it too. The problem, as I see it, is the slowing economy.

John_Wayne777
12-07-07, 19:40
I think they'll pull out of it too. The problem, as I see it, is the slowing economy.

Well, that and the fact that there is a small rebellion among diehard S&W loyalists over the locks they have installed on all their new production revolvers.

If you have some old S&W wheelguns laying around you're sitting on some valuable hardware. If you like to collect those guns, (like I do) you're screwed.

M4arc
12-07-07, 20:00

Which is why it's a perfect time to buy stock. Buy low, sell high.

If you read the entire quarterly report they explain why the forth quarter and 08 projections are going to be below what they originally thought.

Shihan
12-07-07, 22:04
Its no secret that S&W canceled their M&PC model but they are some dirty birds. I was at Sundevil today picking up a bunch of lowers and heard the skinny. They canceled the product without notice to Sundevil sticking them with all the product and they still owe them $$ from unpaid invoices.

Alpha Sierra
12-08-07, 08:33
Its no secret that S&W canceled their M&PC model but they are some dirty birds.
What is an M&PC?

Robb Jensen
12-08-07, 08:52
What is an M&PC?

M&P15 PC = Performance Center M&P15

ThirdWatcher
12-08-07, 09:27
That was my first thought, to M4arc.;)

9x19
12-08-07, 11:38
Which is why it's a perfect time to buy stock. Buy low, sell high.

If you read the entire quarterly report they explain why the forth quarter and 08 projections are going to be below what they originally thought.

That same thing happened with other companies as well. A small dip in stock price occasionally is not that unusual.

PLCedeno
12-08-07, 11:56
As with any stock think long term. Where will S&W be in 10 years? Well if who ever has been responsible for the last couple of years sales is there in 10 then S&W is the stock to buy. Amazing how they went from being hated and on the brink of bancruptcy to being a super power. No one has better customer service.